Rosalind Neis - Council Candidate

CountryAtHeart
Lord of the Board

Re: Rosalind Neis - Council Candidate

Post by CountryAtHeart »

I believe it to be the empty/gross area on Elliott between Brown and Butt rds(who the heck named these roads? :137: )....you know, the area that is currently just dead weeds( Has been like that for years and years) and where people bring their dogs and let them run and do their business all over the place.

I personally agree with the hospital going in there. It is close to a pharmacy, close to bus routes, and would also be close to where the majority of the Doctors are located. Makes sense to me...nothing productive will ever be done with that land. I imagine the "person" who owns the land will eventually try to get it out anyways, and more than likely it will eventually be developed into condos or something.
It is only a matter of time, so lets put the hospital there.
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

rturner wrote:While I suspect that Rosalind may top the polls, and while I expect to be voting for her, let us not award sainthood to her just yet. She's been all over the map in terms of political philosophy, due undoubtedly to her political rookiness (to wit, her approval of a right-wing, regressionist "flat tax" approach to 2008 property taxes while the "Fab 5" took a progressive stance) while being the most if not the only "anti-development" member of council.

And, if she'd been more experienced, she probably could have engaged some or all of the "Fab 5" in the direction of good compromise on things like the naming debacle.

She voted in favour of taking the land for the so-called hospital out of the ALR, which I find to be reprehensible, and she is totally unrepentant on the naming issue in terms of it being rushed. She stated point blank during the September 30 council debate that she did not agree with people who were saying that the naming decision was rushed, but rather agreed with the Fab 5 that it needs to be resolved NOW rather than researched and analyzed more fully.

She's good, she's one of what we need, but she's not perfect, and she too will need to have her feet kept close to the fire from time to time.

I don't agree with everything Mayor Neis wants to do, just as I end up in the minority on many political ventures... From my vantage point I see the majority being in favour of taking the land out of the ALR for a medical centre... So that proves she listens as well...
Personally I don't think that is necessarily the place for it...

If I remember correctly the flat tax idea came from one other member... and Neis supported looking at it... not a good move. On the other hand Neis relied on the Findlater led WGC and the Prosser report for the cost of Westsiders amalgamating with Kelowna. Not very many people are aware that there was NO consultant study done to ascertain the actual costs for Westsiders to amalgamate with Kelowna... and what Kelowna was actually offering Westsiders to amalgamate... so she can't be faulted with going with the flow on that "fraudulent" exercise.
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Check; just saying, don't ascribe sainthood to her just yet. Maybe in three years (lol)?

I've been shocked (and impressed) how blunt and to the point Mayor Neis has been at times, with the RCMP e.g. a month or two back when they were before council about their new building that she thinks is too rich. Mayor Neis would not make a good foreign diplomat, but then I think there's far too much traditional diplomacy in our world, so that's not a rap against her from me.

Let's just remember, IMO, she deserves our votes, but she's got lots to learn, as do the rest of the council.
brightstar
Fledgling

Post by brightstar »

Elektrik_Sky wrote:I believe it to be the empty/gross area on Elliott between Brown and Butt rds(who the heck named these roads? :137: )....you know, the area that is currently just dead weeds( Has been like that for years and years) and where people bring their dogs and let them run and do their business all over the place.

I personally agree with the hospital going in there. It is close to a pharmacy, close to bus routes, and would also be close to where the majority of the Doctors are located. Makes sense to me...nothing productive will ever be done with that land. I imagine the "person" who owns the land will eventually try to get it out anyways, and more than likely it will eventually be developed into condos or something.
It is only a matter of time, so lets put the hospital there.

Thanks for the information....that was the land I thought they were referring to, but wanted confirmation before I responded. I don't see any problem with the "hospital' being located there. You're right, it looks terrible right now...why leave land in the ALR if it's going to sit there looking like crap (and apparently smelling like crap too!). It might as well get put to good use and certainly an emergency medical facitlity of some sort fits the bill!
steren
Board Meister

Post by steren »

Bestside wrote:I don't agree with everything Mayor Neis wants to do, just as I end up in the minority on many political ventures... From my vantage point I see the majority being in favour of taking the land out of the ALR for a medical centre... So that proves she listens as well...
Personally I don't think that is necessarily the place for it...

I agree---the medical center would be right in the middle of residential, the building for senior housing where the old packing house used to be and Westside Care for seniors. The ambulance sirens would be disturbing. There is land out by Brookhaven that would be suitable. Just a thought.
Last edited by steren on Nov 3rd, 2008, 12:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
brightstar
Fledgling

Post by brightstar »

Out by Brookhaven sounds great to me....it's a more central location to serve ALL the Westside...that would be the fair thing to do, right?
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Why do you think the land is sitting vacant? Because investors are playing the cynical game of keeping it vacant so they can "prove" to someone or other that it doesn't belong in the Agricultural Land Reserve. My colleague Jason Luciw has told me it was a beautiful apple orchard in the 1990s before the investors took them out and ripped the trees out. I say more power to the ALC and less power to our council and our MLA for wanting to use this land. There are alternatives that don't involve Westside losing agricultural land. And they are more central for Westside. Although if you scratch that thought very deeply, you'll find out that what "they" really want is something central when Peachland and almost down to Summerland is included. So Westside's agricultural land is to be sacrificed to provide centrality for Peachland and on south.
GlenCanyon

Post by GlenCanyon »

I was glad we had some time today (Nov. 3rd 08) to speak of policing issue. It was nice to see we share many opinions on the issue. I was glad you explained to me the differences you see between WFN owners and those who live on WFN land. We talked and we agreed anywhere there are low income housing there will be more policing requirements. I am certain our paths will cross in the future and I am fairly certain you will be elected to our next coucil if I can be a resource to you on this or any other question I would glad help. I was very pleased you have assured me that your position has nothing to do with bigotry. I mentioned to you that Marc Greenburg has some excellent views on policing that could be very helpful. I myself am supporting Duane Ophus and Gord Milson because they have a good overall understanding of the policing situation. I repeat if you want a sounding board on policing issues I would gladly help if I can.
Last edited by GlenCanyon on Nov 5th, 2008, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hereiamagain
Übergod

Post by hereiamagain »

Hi Mayor Neis, I've listened to you in person and read your comments in the paper. I really like that you dont take any sh(t and you have the electorate in mind when you attend council meetings etc. You did a terrific job as mayor and you have my vote.
I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy.
hereiamagain
Übergod

Post by hereiamagain »

Speaking of policing issues, a good way to raise income for the municipality is to put photocameras in the school zones to catch speeders.... especially between the hours of 10 and 2 pm. I know folks zoom through Rose Valley Elementary at 50-60 km per hour, and I am sure there are other schools where this occurs too.
Is that something of interest? Can the expense of the cameras be justified to make the school area safer as well as bring in income?
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

hereiamagain wrote:Speaking of policing issues, a good way to raise income for the municipality is to put photocameras in the school zones to catch speeders.... especially between the hours of 10 and 2 pm. I know folks zoom through Rose Valley Elementary at 50-60 km per hour, and I am sure there are other schools where this occurs too.
Is that something of interest? Can the expense of the cameras be justified to make the school area safer as well as bring in income?

Does the municipality have jurisdiction to do that?
hereiamagain
Übergod

Post by hereiamagain »

I dont know, hence the question.
rosalind neis

Post by rosalind neis »

re: photo speed cameras

On the surface this sounds like it might work. If you or anyone else would like to bring this idea forward to council by appearing as a delegate I would welcome that. I mentioned at Monday nights forum that the electorate, in my opinion, have a responsibility to be involved in their community long after November 15th. Coming to council, presenting as delegate (if you desire) and ensuring that those you elect actually DO what they SAY is critical for this community.

I do not know if we have jurisidiction on this, I do suspet that we would have to hire someone to run it, the potential revenue might not be as much as you might think - All traffic fines from the RCMP ( in all of BC) go into a big pot and are then distributed throughout the province - we will recieve well under $200,000 next year I believe. So lots to look into.

IF the camera's could be portable - then maybe it would generate revnue, becuase once people know there is a camera fixed in a certain place, they may not speed at that location. Also legal issues need to be looked at, I think they had some problems in Vancouver with photo radar. But all in all and idea worth investigating. Please remain involved and bring your thoughts, ideas and concerns to council - we could OPENLY discuss them.
cpt64
Board Meister

Post by cpt64 »

Boda wrote:
hereiamagain wrote:Speaking of policing issues, a good way to raise income for the municipality is to put photocameras in the school zones to catch speeders.... especially between the hours of 10 and 2 pm. I know folks zoom through Rose Valley Elementary at 50-60 km per hour, and I am sure there are other schools where this occurs too.

Does the municipality have jurisdiction to do that?

I believe the Province has jurisdiction and I seem to recall the Campbell government got in on a platform to nix all photo radar so it isn't going to happen until they change their policy or a new government comes to power.
inquisitive
Fledgling

Post by inquisitive »

Our neighbour, Kelowna, has active photo-radar.

Return to “Westside”