Jim Dixon - Council Candidate

Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Jim Dixon - Council Candidate

Post by Jim Dixon »

Ranger66 wrote:So

"who are your top two biggest campaign contributors?"

In the last election, my two biggest contributors were Visa and Mastercard. In this election, I have turned down all contributions as I am not spending any money - so far. I might buy newspaper ads but that will also be sponsored by Visa. My signs were paid for a long time ago - again by Visa.

Jim
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.
hereiamagain
Übergod

Post by hereiamagain »

Hi Jim, thank you for posting that you do not in fact agree with Findlater and the rest's decision on tossing the NC ballot. I read in the newspaper that you did not have a problem with it (before Oct 20)- which is why I said that you were "in bed" with Findlater. I will try to find the date and article and newspaper so you can see what I mean. If I am mistaken, I have no problem apologizing and I will. Quite frankly, I was shocked and disappointed to see that, as I thought you were more straightforward than him, and to see you agree with him.... well....

I saw you speak on Monday night, and I have to tell you I enjoyed your sense of humour and your blunt and direct approach. If you get elected, I hope you will remember the people who elected you, and you keep the same blunt direct approach in facing issues. Good luck.
I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Mr. Dixon has stated that he is not Thomas Pierce in another political world, that he was not the webmaster (or whatever) of www.notok.ca and so on. I am willing to go so far as to acknowledge that he has denied the question(s) I put to him and that I have no evidence per se to link him to them. I hope Jim is truly not involved in the foregoing. His denial alone does not alleviate my suspicions or concerns, however.

I'll ask him a different question here: what do you think of the www.notok.ca web site and its hate message on the owners of legitimate (billboard) businesses, and its praise of the defacing of them last year? And the tactics of "Thomas Pierce" in writing mayors and others about billboards using fictitious names? Do you know who "Thomas Pierce" really is? Do you have more than one Castanet ID?
waterskirick

Post by waterskirick »

I've sent this to all candidates. A yes or no answer will do.

I'd like to vote for someone with a little spine. Our mayor has stated (unlike all other cadidates) that she will only support a new name that has shown more than 50% support from the whole community. A new name will not help unify us if it only has 30% or 35% support. We need a majority, and if we don't get that, then some kind of run off until we do.

So far I have only one candidate to vote for, Neis for councillor. I'll vote for others only if they show leadership and commit to a 50 + 1% requirement for a new name. Will you commit to this?
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Jim Dixon »

waterskirick wrote: ........So far I have only one candidate to vote for, Neis for councillor. I'll vote for others only if they show leadership and commit to a 50 + 1% requirement for a new name. Will you commit to this?
Yes
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Jim Dixon »

rturner wrote:Mr. Dixon has stated that he is not Thomas Pierce in another political world, that he was not the webmaster (or whatever) of http://www.notok.ca and so on. I am willing to go so far as to acknowledge that he has denied the question(s) I put to him and that I have no evidence per se to link him to them. I hope Jim is truly not involved in the foregoing. His denial alone does not alleviate my suspicions or concerns, however.

I'll ask him a different question here: what do you think of the http://www.notok.ca web site and its hate message on the owners of legitimate (billboard) businesses, and its praise of the defacing of them last year? And the tactics of "Thomas Pierce" in writing mayors and others about billboards using fictitious names? Do you know who "Thomas Pierce" really is? Do you have more than one Castanet ID?

Rob,
You're supposed to be a reporter, journalist you're not, reporters report facts, and don't step out of their medium to use another (Castanet) to distort them, so I venture to say you're not a reporter either so you must be a writer by trade and use that as your license to kill other's reputations. If as you say "I hope Jim is truly not involved in the foregoing" then you would have stopped your ongoing attacks when you first realized that A, you considered your source, and B, when I first told you I had nothing to do with it.

I just visited the site in question ands it says it is under construction.

That aside, you force me to answer your inane questions, that guilty until proved innocent abuse the tabloid-style media types use:

1. "what do you think of the http://www.notok.ca web site and its hate message on the owners of legitimate (billboard) businesses Sounds more like a statement, but I didn't see a hate message, unless you find the term "under construction" hateful and part B of your first question, I don't believe, condone, or support, finance, approve, entice or encourage any kind of defacing, or vandalizing of anyone's property
  2. I don't know what "tactics of "Thomas Pierce" in writing mayors and others about billboards using fictitious names" were all about. I don't have copies of the letters, so how can I answer that - care to provide some?
  3. "Do you know who "Thomas Pierce" really is?" No, and you give him or her(?) too much attention. But I do think I know the disturbed person that keeps feeding you this malarkey. I thought he was too busy chasing terrorists in and around the Westside to waste time feeding your imagination.
  4. "Do you have more than one Castanet ID?" Not sure, but years ago I may have used another one - can't remember what it might have been, and gave it up for lost. When I returned, I tried what I thought might have been it, but gave up and decided to be open, honest and just be me.

There. Now, having answered your questions as best I can, I want to take this moment to say that I don't like the billboards out there - I think they detract from our local beauty. But I don't begrudge someone trying to make a living either. The signs are a bone of contention with some, and a venomous tool for some who use it as a means to discredit others. I would like to see them all go - all over - and you can quote me, "down with billboards". But Noll has a right to make a living with them. So there has to be an understanding that A, most are outside the jurisdiction of the District, and B, they are part of doing business.

If you should ever venture into investigative journalism, I suggest you look at who supported who in the last years election, who is using the same money this year, who pounds his signs for him, where you originally got your tale from and piece it together from there.

Finally, anything I say or do, I put my name to it, not someone else's and certainly, nothing fictitious.

Any respect I may have had for your story telling on paper went down the toilet, I won't even line the birdcage with it.

Jim
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Jim Dixon wrote:
    waterskirick wrote: ........So far I have only one candidate to vote for, Neis for councillor. I'll vote for others only if they show leadership and commit to a 50 + 1% requirement for a new name. Will you commit to this?
    Yes
Many times on here I've suggested that a majority decision would be best because the name would be accepted more readily. The naming committee chose not to go that route and ditto for council. Too bad. We are where we are though and now that you have committed (correct me if I'm wrong) to not voting for the top choice on the 15th unless it has 50% plus one I'm wondering what you would suggest if the top name receives 49% of the vote and the others are far behind, roughly splitting the vote. Add to that a (majority) NO vote on retaining Westside. Do we retain Westside? If yes, short-term? Until the next election in three years? Perhaps one of the names will receive a majority and all of this is moot, but I'm just wondering how you would recommend proceeding given the above scenario. Thanks Jim.
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Jim Dixon »

Bestside wrote:What are you going to do for us Mr. Dixon? :sunshine:

Corrected version is below
Last edited by Jim Dixon on Nov 8th, 2008, 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Jim Dixon »

Bestside wrote:What are you going to do for us Mr. Dixon? :sunshine:

What other candidates say they will do, I have already been doing or am working on. One of the first things that happen after a council is elected is that the Mayor appoints councillors to a variety of committees and commissions. The councillor is your liaison to city council, to city staff and, the resources at city hall and Victoria.
When elected,
  1. I want on the Roads committee so I can introduce a plan that will help make more money available for upgrading older roads, installing sidewalks and generating reserve funds. I lobbied hard on the governance committee to make the roads study a part of the governance study - and won. I was also able to get the RDCO Stormwater Management study included. With these, we can better manage road maintenance, upgrades to sidewalks ans so on. Our council talks of doing these studies - they are already done. I want on both of those committees and am ready to continue the project.
  2. I want on the Planning committee so we can better address the need for more affordable housing, and get the Town Centre on the move! The Council talks of yet another study. While we study the pajeebers out of the Town Centre plan, we loose potential tenants. The plan is done, it is ready and it is time we coerce builders and developers to revitalize the downtown area.
  3. I want on the Safety committee because I want to plan so everyone on the Westside feels safe on the streets, our parks, on our beaches, and in our homes. I want the council to take a hard line on crime, on vandalism, and take immediate steps to make our Westside streets safe.
  4. I want on the financing committee so I can make certain that our City recovers from any inequities between past and present partnerships. Agreements, contracts and provisions between RDCO and others will passed on this December. I want to ensure we capitalize on every opportunity to build our assets, and that we resolve any inequities.
  5. I want on the health committee. I am Vice President of the Westside Public Support Organization (WPSO), a non-profit group with over 11000 signatures on a petition supporting a fully equipped hospital and emergency care facility. I know there won’t be a hospital any time soon. But we are close to a 24/7 emergency care facility. I want to ensure that the design and intent of this facility be a smart-design – so that later, we can easily add other needed facilities.
    You need to know that we have only one full time ambulance and one part-time on call that we desperately need upgraded to full-time. Contrary to other candidates claims, the ambulances are equipped with AEDs, or automated external defibrillator. But that is not enough. We need both ambulances to be full time - and ready.

As vice president of the WPSO, I can say that not only does the Westside desperately need these additional services, gosh darn it, we deserve them.

My history shows I am not afraid to tackle any issue; that I am a team player, but that I don’t run with any pack. I have proved that I can, and have saved the taxpayer money. I have proved that I am not afraid to hold others feet to the fire and that I stand accountable for my actions and decisions.

I will try to maintain our rural atmosphere and not lose it to over-urbanization. With the right attitude, the right approaches, we can also preserve our individual community identities, that unique individuality that makes our various Westside communities so special.
hat I will represent the needs, wants, and desires of the residents, businesses, community groups and organizations.

I believe that in order to the job right, protect our Westsides unique character and maintain a rural atmosphere with old-fashioned values, one needs the right approach, and the right attitude. I am so resolute – so dedicated to the concept that I have developed and adopted them not just as my guarantees to you, but as the principals by which I will serve you FULL TIME as your new representative on Council – and to this end, I have put my signature to my guarantees.
    • That I will work hard to maintain the Westside rural atmosphere, old-fashioned values while working toward a brighter economic future.
    • Each community will retain their individuality and have fair and unbiased representation; representation derived from input by the community.
    • That as we progress through governance restructure, that I will continue to remain analytical, keep the process open and transparent, and monitor the Bottom Line to ensure we pay less and receive more.
    • That I will devote myself to the entire Westside; the residents and businesses in a manner that will elicit your confidence and respect.
    • That I will represent everyone in a professional, and fiscally responsible manner.
    • You, not I, will control the future of your community.
    • That when elected, you are the employer. I answer to you... the elector.
    And finally ….
    • That I will treat your vote as an investment in the future of the Westside and to work hard to prove myself an asset to you, your friends and your neighbours.

I Guarantee it

I am ready with my 11 years of community experience, four years of governance study - which by the way was an education in municipal management, and my well honed skill-sets to put those tools – all that right stuff and knowledge - to better use,- - I won’t let you down.

And - thank you for your participation and for taking a keen interest in our Westside.

Jim - feel free to call 250-769-5080 (days or evenings.)
Last edited by Jim Dixon on Nov 8th, 2008, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
p2malone

Post by p2malone »

Hello, I am undecided about which candidates to vote for in the upcoming election, so I am sending out a question for all. We have lived here just a short time (8 months) and my family and I are horrified with the amount of crime and drugs that Kelowna /Westside has. Both places are getting a very bad reputation for high criminal activity and I strongly believe that something needs to be done about it. The name of the Westside does not have very much importance when the world is referring to it as Crack Alley, Drug City, Meth. Meadows, etc...... These are just a few names that I have heard in other provinces, when referring to Kelowna and the Westside. My question.......if you are voted in will you support a increase in policing? Thank you in advance.
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Jim Dixon »

pdellerton wrote:........My question.......if you are voted in will you support a increase in policing? Thank you in advance.

Welcome to - - - well, that is to be decided soon :)

An increase in policing is not as easy as simply agreeing, let's say, to a large tax increase to pay for it. What we need, in a perfect situation, is a task force to deal with just the drugs, the grow-ops, crack houses et cetera. We also need a hard line. I don't believe for a moment that addicts didn't know what the outcome would be if they started taking drugs. A one strike and you're out approach plus restitution, plus running them out of town would be my approach. Unfortunately, we live in a society where we protect the criminal, and pay a lot of taxes to do so, and then pay more to help them inject in a safe place.

Do I support more policing? Yes. Can we afford it - no - not yet. Is there money for an anti-crime campaign? - yes - about a quarter of a million dollars, and that earmarked for crime prevention only, grows each year as our population grows. It would pay for two extra police, but I doubt council could use it for that.

I'd like our council to arrange, or I would volunteer, to attend trials and hearings related to any crime on the Westside and ask the courts to impose restitution and community service in the form of cleaning up garbage off our highways, removing graffiti off hillsides, walls, et cetera. It is the victims right to do so.

Also, find out if we can create a bylaw so that anyone new to the area requesting social assistance, or is convicted of a crime and is new or NFA, is given a non-refundable bus fare back to whence they came plus $20.00 a day for meals.

Jim - feel free tro call 250-769-5080 if you have more ?s or want to talk.
p2malone

Post by p2malone »

Wow...good for you. You just got two more votes! You mirror my thoughts 99%.
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Jim Dixon »

Urbane wrote:
    Jim Dixon wrote:
    Yes
Many times on here I've suggested that a majority decision would be best because the name would be accepted more readily. The naming committee chose not to go that route and ditto for council. Too bad. We are where we are though and now that you have committed (correct me if I'm wrong) to not voting for the top choice on the 15th unless it has 50% plus one I'm wondering what you would suggest if the top name receives 49% of the vote and the others are far behind, roughly splitting the vote. Add to that a (majority) NO vote on retaining Westside. Do we retain Westside? If yes, short-term? Until the next election in three years? Perhaps one of the names will receive a majority and all of this is moot, but I'm just wondering how you would recommend proceeding given the above scenario. Thanks Jim.

First, I'm remembering the regulations as they apply to a ballot, and what the ballot reads, as well as the hours of endless discussion the Governance committee put into a similar near conundrum.
I've highlighted the above because I want it clearer what it means. In simple terms, I am willing to go with the majority rules. So, let's say that 50% +1 vote to change the names. Now we look at which name received the most votes - and that's the winner. That is, if they apply the same rules to this ballot as they did in the referendum. That could, though unlikeyly be 25%+1.

But remember - many people forget this is a ballot for council to consider - they are not locked into any thing. It is an "...community opinion vote to consider re-naming its community." They can call it Neiseville if they want to.

If the first question is say 50%+1 to No Change, then the second part isn't counted. But if it is less than majority rule, then the name with the most votes is, IMHO, the winner.

But, if council opens it's doors this time to allow public participation, and the public want a better process, it would be up to council to accomodate that participation in the selction process either by holding councils feet to the fire or demanding they scrap the process and start over. You can change the name of a Municipality any time.

I hope I answered your question in there. You can get a copy of the ballot options here.

Jim
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Thanks Jim. I understand your position now and I agree with it. I also agree with what you've laid out in your platform and I look forward to voting for you next Saturday.
hereiamagain
Übergod

Post by hereiamagain »

Jim Dixon wrote:I'd like our council to arrange, or I would volunteer, to attend trials and hearings related to any crime on the Westside and ask the courts to impose restitution and community service in the form of cleaning up garbage off our highways, removing graffiti off hillsides, walls, et cetera.

I REALLY like this idea. How can this be done? ie, how can it become the sentence? wouldnt there have to be supervisors or something to ensure the work was being done? what would happen if the work wasnt being done, would it be lengthened until...?

This would be a step towards re-lighting community involvement. In the olden days, folks would get together to build a house or whatever, that was used for the community - why cant we do that ourselves? aka Habitat for Humanity, but with a municipal bent. Couldnt we get things we need without spending tons and tons of moola?
I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy.

Return to “Westside”