Rosalind Neis - Council Candidate

cpt64
Board Meister

Re: Rosalind Neis - Council Candidate

Post by cpt64 »

inquisitive wrote:Our neighbour, Kelowna, has active photo-radar.

That's news to me. Perhaps you're talking about the red light cameras? There's a difference.
inquisitive
Fledgling

Post by inquisitive »

And the difference being.......................? Doesn't it catch violators?
cpt64
Board Meister

Post by cpt64 »

inquisitive wrote:And the difference being.......................? Doesn't it catch violators?

Ok, so this is off topic but needs to be answered. Photo radar can be set up anywhere along the side of the road and requires a person to monitor the equipment to ensure it's working properly, change film, etc. Speed past a photo radar van and your ticket arrives in the mail.

A red light camera is permanently installed at strategic intersections and has nothing to do with speeding. It captures the license plate of those who choose to run a red light. Again, your ticket arrives in the mail.

Do they both catch violators? Yes, they do. I'm not disputing that hereiamagain had a good idea, but as I said, her suggestion would involve photo radar which I believe is currently banned by the Province. Some considered it a " cash cow " and the Campbell government capitalized on that and pledged to rid it as part of their election platform and followed through when they got elected.
bear11

Post by bear11 »

I am sorry that you are not running for mayor. I appreciate your candor and honesty. You did an incredible job! You will have my vote this time!
waterskirick

Post by waterskirick »

I've sent this to all candidates.

I'd like to vote for someone with a little spine. Our mayor has stated (unlike all other cadidates) that she will only support a new name that has shown more than 50% support from the whole community. A new name will not help unify us if it only has 30% or 35% support. We need a majority, and if we don't get that, then some kind of run off until we do.

So far I have only one candidate to vote for, Neis for councillor. I'll vote for others only if they show leadership and commit to a 50 + 1% requirement for a new name. Will you commit to this?

I know you've already answered this. Is there anything you'd like to add?
steren
Board Meister

Post by steren »

Aug.20 naming committee open meeting.
Mayor Neis did you not say?
I myself have had no meetings with WESTSIDE First Nation.
(they are known as Westbank First Nation)

I believe those attending could tell you had not met with Westbank First Nations as members of the community seemed to be more informed about WFN plans than our Mayor. An upsetting fact as the District of Westside shares the area on this side of the lake with WFN.

At a later naming committee meeting did you not say?
You did not want our name to be the same as that of WFN?

The meetings you have spoken about with WFN must have been after it had been pointed out that in almost a years time you had not met with WFN.

by rosalind neis on Oct 30th, 2008, 8:20 am
To Glen Canyon:
What have I done - I have tried over and over to ensure that all areas of our community have adequate police resourses. I have suggested that all neighborhoods have local community policing stations. I have tried to build up police numbers in our community, but I am only one vote on council. I have met with all levels of RCMP to find out what we as a community can do to help make their job better. I have tried to meet with WFN, but they have not been able to meet as a council, and I have meet twice with Cheif Louis on many matters.

Mayor Neis out of respect for Chief Robert Louie it should not read Cheif Louis.
parachute
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by parachute »

stiren you are a wierd case if I ever haerd of one! You acusse Neis of showing a lack of respect for Chief Louise because Neis either deosn’t know the rule about “i” before “e” or else she makes a msitacke in typing? Rots of ruck in proving your accussation!
parachute
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by parachute »

Is there not a short saying something about "picking nits"?
p2malone

Post by p2malone »

Hello, I am undecided about which candidates to vote for in the upcoming election, so I am sending out a question for all. We have lived here just a short time (8 months) and my family and I are horrified with the amount of crime and drugs that Kelowna /Westside has. Both places are getting a very bad reputation for high criminal activity and I strongly believe that something needs to be done about it. The name of the Westside does not have very much importance when the world is referring to it as Crack Alley, Drug City, Meth. Meadows, etc...... These are just a few names that I have heard in other provinces, when referring to Kelowna and the Westside. My question.......if you are voted in will you support a increase in policing? Thank you in advance.
rosalind neis

Post by rosalind neis »

Good afternoon:

To Steren:

The remarks I made with regard to meetings with WFN were in the context that our council met with the WFN council very early in 2007 to discuss mutual concerns. I had hope to continue with those meetings, but for reasons beyond our control, all meetings that we had tried to schedule fell through. I had the pleasure of meeting with Chief Robert Louie on a couple of occasions - one on one - over the past 3 months, but as leaders of our resepective communities it was more a social meeting than an official meeting. In my opinion an official meeting would be most benefitial if all members of council from both parties were present and that did not occur.

I do not remember every comment I ever made over the course of the past year, but if I did make a comment about our municipal name being the same as WFN - it is likely more accurate that I did not feel that our municipal name NEEDS to be the same as WFN. As you are aware - Chief Louie has stated that he thinks our name should be West Kelowna.

I know that my name has been incorrectly spelled from time to time, and I do not take offence with that, and I am sure that Chief Louie would also not take offence, but I will non the less appoligise for the mis-spelling of his name in a previous post.

The District of Westisde staff meet monthly with WFN staff and I am fully briefed on what discussion are taking place, but I would not opennly discuss those without permission of both parties. I am pleased that you know so much about District of Westside and WFN relations and hope that all citizens are as informed as you are.
rosalind neis

Post by rosalind neis »

to pdellerton:

Short answer - Yes I support more police officers

Long answer - I also want to ensure that if tax payers from this community are footing the bill, that we are recieving 100% return for our tax dollars. Like all municipal services, we can have what ever we want - provided we are willing to pay. Our RCMP division that polices the municipality also polices Peachland, half way up the connector, WFN lands, Westside Electorial area and elsewhere. Crime does not know boundaries and I beleive our police force does an outstanding job with the resourses they have at their disposal.

I trust that answers your question.
westsideobserver

Post by westsideobserver »

I would like to express my appreciation to Mayor Neis for all of her hard work. From what I've read and seen, everything that Mayor Neis has tried to move forward has been blocked by Mr. Findlater and his lackeys on Council. What an amazingly frustrating situation! I applaud her for not giving up.

I think that Mayor Neis is also realizing that the true power lies in the hands of the Councilors, not the Mayor's chair.

I have had the privilege of watching Mayor Neis in action, and my friend has had the experience of "Rosalind" as an attending nurse at the birth of their daughter. Having witnessed her character it's no surprise to me that they chose to name their new daughter after her.

I wish her all the best in the upcoming election. To me Mayor Neis has embodied the "healing of the Westside", as she has endeavored to ensure that ALL Westside neighborhoods are included and cared for, and that past positions be set aside for the betterment of the entire community.

Thank you.
inquisitive
Fledgling

Post by inquisitive »

"westsideobserver" made reference to Mr. Findlater today that left us with the impression that he might have been a leader in some controversial instances on the public's business.
IMHO...................Mr. Findlater has allowed himself to be used as the patsy by those behind the scenes.
Mr. Findlater was not the leader; he just doesn't have it in him to lead the "supposed fab4", nor the Municipality.
Look at the balance of the council and take a guess at who you think might become entrenched enough to become the NEXT mayor (in the scheme of things) - the 2011 mayor!
Mr. Findlater is expendable - he was vain enough to to be pursuaded to risk his ambitions on a one-horse race when a long-shot was waiting in the wings, unbeknownst to him. He was actually vain enough to be pursuaded that he would be crowned this time and pave the way for his successor to carrry on the line.
Mr. Findlater is sacrificed because Mr. Haslock's supporters will out-vote him.
Project this now into the first three year term:- The new blood in council takes its no-nonsense approach to council chambers and steers council as a whole back to its mandatory role, that of listening to and working on behalf of the constituents of this municipality. That is quite a prospect for us all.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

I believe I have solid credentials in the dismay movement over several key items of apparent non-transparency by our outgoing council. FYI, I voted Wednesday for mayor and council; 4 "old-timers" and 3 "newcomers".

I'm aghast if not frightened by the naivity I'm seeing expressed here. You can not attribute such powerful integrity to so many unknown and untested individuals without them walking the proverbial mile in the shoes of a mayor or a councillor. Look at world-famous reformer Cory Aquino of the Philippines; look at that priest who almost lost his life ousting Papa Doc of Haiti, look at Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe -- all shining people who became quickly corrupted in office. We will not be well served if we have 7 new members of council on November 16.
parachute
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by parachute »

Mr. rturner you are giving away TOO much information about how you voted (not that it really matters). Since you are (somewhat) baring your electoral soul, let me make a guess as to the 7 whom you voted for (again not that it really matters – - - but we need a little lightness here do we not?)

Here goes:

1. Doug Findlater
2. Rosalind Neis
3. Duane Ophus
4. Carol Zanon (OKAY there are the 4 “old timers”)

5. Marc Greenberg
6. Bryden Winsby
7. Now I am in trouble trying to guess this last one ----??
how about a toss up between Mary Mandarino and Joe Strocen?

Return to “Westside”