Westside Naming Referendum

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Westside Naming Referendum

Post by Fancy »

Any idea how many votes have been cast?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

canadman wrote:If Westbank were to get 50% +1 of the vote I will gladly accept Westbank as our name. Likewise if West Kelowna or any of the other names do the same. Anything less than 50% does not reflect the will of the majority of Westside citizens (voters) and for something as permanent as a name I think a majority of voters is what we should all settle for and nothing less.
Funny you should mention this. Remember when I posted my suggestion that a run-off should be part of the committee's recommendation? And you liked the idea? And you were to bring it up at the next meeting? But the committee said no before you even had a chance to formally present the idea? If the committee had had its way council would have made the final decision on the name based on whatever evidence it could glean from the ballot results. Now at least we will have the people making the decision. Your suggestion for a majority vote now comes after the voting has begun and after the run-off ship has sailed. Pity that your fellow committee members didn't share your enthusiasm for the run-off idea. It is to your credit that you now reject the naming committee's recommendation for council to decide the name and understand the need for the people to decide. Anyway, we are where we are and with so much bad blood being spilled on these threads it's a relief that the voting will be over in a week and a final decision made.
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

Urbane wrote:
    canadman wrote:If Westbank were to get 50% +1 of the vote I will gladly accept Westbank as our name. Likewise if West Kelowna or any of the other names do the same. Anything less than 50% does not reflect the will of the majority of Westside citizens (voters) and for something as permanent as a name I think a majority of voters is what we should all settle for and nothing less.
Funny you should mention this. Remember when I posted my suggestion that a run-off should be part of the committee's recommendation? And you liked the idea? And you were to bring it up at the next meeting? But the committee said no before you even had a chance to formally present the idea? If the committee had had its way council would have made the final decision on the name based on whatever evidence it could glean from the ballot results. Now at least we will have the people making the decision. Your suggestion for a majority vote now comes after the voting has begun and after the run-off ship has sailed. Pity that your fellow committee members didn't share your enthusiasm for the run-off idea. It is to your credit that you now reject the naming committee's recommendation for council to decide the name and understand the need for the people to decide. Anyway, we are where we are and with so much bad blood being spilled on these threads it's a relief that the voting will be over in a week and a final decision made.

:dyinglaughing:
Now it's to everyone's credit that the NC supporters have seen the light and want a run-off.
It has nothing to do with Westbankers lobby and the council decision to give us a ballot where Westbank will stand alone with the cabal and the other three names will split letting Westbank come to the top... nothing to do with that at all... just seen the light is all...
:dyinglaughing:
And what a relief that will be to the Westbankers... a bogus ballot with a final decision made in a week...
:coffeecanuck:
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
canadman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by canadman »

I had a thought this morning and wanted to throw it out to all of you...

We have quite a battle going on here. Some have even referred to it as a feud and even an all out 'war'...

Tuesday, of course is Remembrance Day. It's a day when we celebrate the sacrifice of many fine men and women who have fought real wars and given their lives so that we can enjoy the freedom we have today to be able to come on here, and elsewhere and express our views and have these battles.

I thought it would be kind of a neat way to show respect for the veterans on Remembrance Day if we were all to agree to a 'ceasefire' on Tuesday and refrain from posting on that day.

Any thoughts?
"The road to hell is paved with concrete."
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

Although Remembrance Day is rightly about freedom... it is about freedom from despots who wanted to extend their boundaries against the wishes of others.

Many Veterans who fought against extending boundaries and taking over another's place located in Lakeview Heights after the victory over evil.

I think a good way to remember those Veterans is to discuss their victory on Nov. 11 with any appropriate stories.
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
angusog
Übergod

Post by angusog »

Bestside wrote:Although Remembrance Day is rightly about freedom... it is about freedom from despots who wanted to extend their boundaries against the wishes of others.

Many Veterans who fought against extending boundaries and taking over another's place located in Lakeview Heights after the victory over evil.

I think a good way to remember those Veterans is to discuss their victory on Nov. 11 with any appropriate stories.

A better way to remember them is to show up at the cenotaph wearing your poppy! There were two sides in those wars and let us not forget that fact.
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

angusog wrote:
Bestside wrote:Although Remembrance Day is rightly about freedom... it is about freedom from despots who wanted to extend their boundaries against the wishes of others.

A better way to remember them is to show up at the cenotaph wearing your poppy! There were two sides in those wars and let us not forget that fact.

I thought you were from Scotland....

Oh yea... the Brits...

Is that covered?
angusog
Übergod

Post by angusog »

Bestside wrote:
angusog wrote:

Oh yea... the Brits...

Is that covered?

I am from Scotland as you might have guessed Bestside but many of my neighbours are German and they belong here too. :smt023
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

angusog wrote:
Bestside wrote:
angusog wrote:

Oh yea... the Brits...

Is that covered?

I am from Scotland as you might have guessed Bestside but many of my neighbours are German and they belong here too. :smt023

Enough of you Angusog... so what if your neighbours are German folk... they can go to the cenotaph and/or tell the stories of war at their choosing... and remember in their own way. You have this penchant to think you can rule how people remember all sorts of history? You are going to tell Canadians how they have to remember without allowing them to actually remember???

I don't for one minute think your friends are upset over their despot leader's failure to extend the boundaries of their Country. I for one am thankful your friends are my equal due to my family paying the extreme price so that I could live to honour their memory. I think the movie Paschendale tells a very good story about the horrors of war and that story should be shown Nov. 11... no question.

This is right Off Topic angusog... take your wanting to start a Westside confrontation over Remembrance Day somewhere else...

I suggest to the mods they deep six these posts right from Canadman's suggestion... not a good suggestion in retrospect given the history on this thread....
hereiamagain
Übergod

Post by hereiamagain »

I second that request from Bestside re: the deep six!!!!
I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy.
canadman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by canadman »

For all those who may be considering voting for West Kelowna or for those who have yet to make a decision, visit www.votewestkelowna.com. You'll find a lot of info there.

Don't forget to vote!

:smt023
"The road to hell is paved with concrete."
ATB

Post by ATB »

From a marketing piggyback position alone it makes great sense to call the area West Kelowna. It would benefit both cities.

Certainly, West Vancouver has never hurt the marketing of Vancouver.

Eventually, we will be the Great Kelowna Area. It's only a matter of time, so lets just name it West Kelowna now, and save the money down the road. (or up the road, in this case)
angusog
Übergod

Post by angusog »

ATB wrote:From a marketing piggyback position alone it makes great sense to call the area West Kelowna. It would benefit both cities.

Eventually, we will be the Great Kelowna Area. It's only a matter of time, so lets just name it West Kelowna now, and save the money down the road. (or up the road, in this case)

Or let's leave it as Westbank and respect our history because that's priceless! :smt023
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

ATB wrote:From a marketing piggyback position alone it makes great sense to call the area West Kelowna. It would benefit both cities.

And there you have it everybody with West Kelowna as the name...
to put that into perspective down the road a few years:

"Certainly, West Kelowna has never hurt the marketing of Kelowna."

And that is the case... the Elephant will rule the day...
"West Kelowna" marketing will only serve to showcase Kelowna...

People don't have a built-in GPS in their brains to tell them that West Kelowna is not part of Kelowna.. and without any way to easily differentiate we would be folded into Kelowna.. "It's only a matter of time..."
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Ah, angusog, my old out-of-touch-with-reality friend. "Let's leave it as Westbank and preserve our history . . . ." I hope all your friends and relatives get to the polls on Saturday and vote "No Change" because you've steered them wrong on that point. "Let's leave it" translates into we keep Westside, not Westbank. Reality, my friend, reality. Not to mention truthfulness.

Return to “Westside”