Mo Rajabally - Council Candidate

Jo
Slot 16

Mo Rajabally - Council Candidate

Post by Jo »

This thread is for Mo Rajabally, council candidate.
RichardKnight

Re: Mo Rajabally - Council Candidate

Post by RichardKnight »

I know Mo Rajabally personally. You always know exactly where Mo stands on issues. There is never a grey area. Another thing I know very well about Mo is that he is honest and he cares passionately about those who are less fortunate. Is that the kind of person we want on council? Someone who is honest and cares about people? I think so.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

I concur.

I went to school with his son and daughter. We were neighbours for several years.

He is very intelligent, honest, good family values.
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

Please list 5 of your top priorities, and how you would deal with each issue if it were completely up to you.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
mrajabally

Post by mrajabally »

You ask me to kindly list 5 of my top priorities, and how I would deal with each issue if it were completely up to you.

Thank you mechanic. Boy do you ask a tough question! But first, I was having problem logging in, so I got an old username of kingyahoo!!! You will have to bear with me until I get my new username of Mo Rajabally sorted out.

Now, this is going to sound a bit odd, but I have always fought for the underdog. Everything being equal, I do not want to see any Canadian homeless. We are a nation of very caring people and Kelowna is known for its generosity. Therefore, taking care of the less fortunate would be my number one priority. Affordable housing is top on my list. I believe Council, with the help of the Provincial and Federal governments can do more. Presently, I give the Mayor and Council credit for making a big effort into providing affordable housing through several voluntarily organizations.

The next thing I want to take a serious look at is growth. We cannot stop it, but we sure can limit the damage it has done to our quality of life. I believe developers have had a field day. Do not get me wrong, I am not against developers, but Council and City staff have not done a great job. The most recent survey shows a rating of around 25% approval rate. That is the lowest it has been since I came to Kelowna 33 years ago. In fact that rating is a paltry 2% above what President Bush just got. City staff and incumbent Councillors have been together for far too long. It looks like a happy family.

The third thing I would look at seriously is the unbearable traffic problem it would cause downtown if Council were serious about the CD-21 zone proposal. Right at this moment, it is not a piece of cake driving East and West, and North and South. Now, just imagine another 3000-4000 cars on a daily and permanent basis in that confined area from rich owners of the most expensive piece of real estate! Also, I will support unconditionally a group of dedicated folks who have been working for years to get an overpass from the bridge to Gordon Drive.

The fourth thing I would explore is whether or not the old bridge would be sunk into Okanagan Lake and if yes, what guarantee do the people of Kelowna get that the eco-system of the lake and the water we drink is safe from years of pollutants attaching themselves to the pontoons.

Sadly, Kelowna has been dubbed a city for the newly wed and the nearly dead. There is nothing for the young people besides the pubs. This is very simple to explain. Council knows which side of its bread is buttered. The same people on Council get elected time after time because of the 80% of seniors who vote at every Municipal election. The young are too busy to cast their vote. They need to get organized and vote. If elected, I will do some shaking and baking. However, I must say a big thank you to seniors who voted for me in the past. Eighty percent of the votes I received came from them. Sadly, that was only 25 to 30% of seniors who voted for me.

Thanks mechanic for asking a hypothetical question of listing 5 of my top priorities and how I would deal with each issue if it were completely up to me. Where there is a will, there is a way. Regards and thanks.

Mo Rajabally
Last edited by mrajabally on Nov 11th, 2008, 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

Thank you for your responses, Mo.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

damngrumpy
Übergod

Post by damngrumpy »

Where do you stand with regard to the Agricultural Land Reserve do you support it or not?
mrajabally

Post by mrajabally »

damngrumpy: Where do you stand with regard to the Agricultural Land Reserve do you support it or not?

Yes grumpy, I support the concept of the Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR) in principle. The problem I have is we live in a free and democratic country and I have difficulty understanding why we should force farmers to hang on to their land because the Provincial Government instituted the ALR under I believe the NDP Governemnt of Dave Barret. You and I can make a buck or two if we own non-agricultural land and want to sell. They can't, yet I know of a few farmers who either are not making a decent living from their ALR land, or are actually losing money.

In a sense we are asking another Canadian to make a sacrifice for us by limiting their ability to sell their land. Do you think the Provincial Government should make them an offer they could not refuse?
Thanks for the question. Now I would like to read what you think. Take care and hang loose.

Mo Rajabally
Mr.Powell

Post by Mr.Powell »

Appreciated good sir,
Mr.Powell
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

Happy Birthday, Mo.

nellietheelephant
Fledgling

Post by nellietheelephant »

mrajabally wrote:damngrumpy: Where do you stand with regard to the Agricultural Land Reserve do you support it or not?

Yes grumpy, I support the concept of the Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR) in principle. The problem I have is we live in a free and democratic country and I have difficulty understanding why we should force farmers to hang on to their land because the Provincial Government instituted the ALR under I believe the NDP Governemnt of Dave Barret. You and I can make a buck or two if we own non-agricultural land and want to sell. They can't, yet I know of a few farmers who either are not making a decent living from their ALR land, or are actually losing money.

In a sense we are asking another Canadian to make a sacrifice for us by limiting their ability to sell their land. Do you think the Provincial Government should make them an offer they could not refuse?
Thanks for the question. Now I would like to read what you think. Take care and hang loose.

Mo Rajabally

Give me a moment here - maybe I'm missing something.
You have difficulty understanding why we should force farmers to hang on to their land.

how about - because they have been paying littile or no taxes since they bought it?
how about - because they have been hauling in every subsidy they could grab?
How about, because theytcan't wait to sell it but have no intention whatsoever of repaying any of the perks they received since buying it?

And isn't that like the olympic athletes - who whine and whine about how they don't receive enough subsidies, even though we all keep them at our expense - and then when Addidas signs them, we are forgotten - they grab the millions and we can all go to hell?

Surely I can't be the only one who sees this?

Nellie

how about, just like
mrajabally

Post by mrajabally »

Thanks for taking the time to give me your perspective and I appreciate it very much. I cannot say I disagree with your comments and all the points you raised. If I were to be elected, I would like to see the preservation of ALR land because over the years, there has been too much land taken out and Glenmore is one area in particular. When I moved to Kelowna 33 years ago, I almost bought a 10 acre piece of land that was perhaps 3 to 5 miles out of the city. But, because we had three small school age children, we decided to buy closer to a school. Over the past few years, I simply could not believe how much agricultural land has been taken out and replaced with houses.

I want you to know I am in favour of the ALR. By playing the devil advocate, I was able to get a different perspective from you and it makes perfect sense. Thank you.
SAH

Post by SAH »

Thank you for taking the time to answer mechanic-virus' questions, Mo. I like the way you think, as well as your top 5 concerns. You seem to be sincere, and wishing with integrity, for a better Kelowna. Excellent.
mrajabally

Post by mrajabally »

Thank you SAH. I need all the help I can get if people are serious about changing the attitude of City Hall. Council has been asleep at the wheel.
mrajabally

Post by mrajabally »

I very much appreciate those of you who have taken the time to write and to ask questions, even a thank you to those who are a one-issue voters. I know and you know there are people out there who have an open mind and those who have not. But, it is freedom of speech nevertheless. To those who have an open mind and who are objective, please write and let me know what you think, or ask me questions. Thank you. e-mail address: [email protected]

Return to “Kelowna”