Kelowna Mayoral - General Discussion

Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Kelowna Mayoral - General Discussion

Post by Piecemaker »

Is the ability to change one's mind "wishy-washy" or open mindedness? If information and circumstances change, decisions may need to change. That's a reality of life...and of running a city.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
3 B's

Post by 3 B's »

Piecemaker wrote:Is the ability to change one's mind "wishy-washy" or open mindedness? If information and circumstances change, decisions may need to change. That's a reality of life...and of running a city.

Uh, it's whishy-washy, finger in the wind, politics. Face it, it's ALL about getting re-elected. It has nothing to do with open mindedness or principle. It's about keeping the snout in the public trough however low you have to go. If you don't see that, your eyes are and ears are SHUT. :spinball:
3 B's

Post by 3 B's »

Horse Hooey!!. Give Kim Quillet the same opporunity that othe first time Mayors have had. This is rediculous that you can't be Mayor unless you have been one before or your have been a member of same ole coucil!! Let's get some freshness going!! PULEEZE, we need a real change not just words. IA lot of us respect action, not just words that are supposed to make us believe someone has changed who has shown us years of the same pattern. We have a counci and Mayor that support DEVELOPMENT and DEVELOPERS. Plain and simple. This valley and this area is full to overflowing. We a REAL change don't you think??? You want more of same? God Help us if you do. :nutzoid:
3 B's

Re: Existing Councils Versus New Councils

Post by 3 B's »

marooned wrote:I have been watching how local politics has shaped Kelowna for the past two decades and can assure you that this council actually fares better in terms of shaping the development that does occur than their predecessors. Jim Stuart headed councils that removed extensive tracts of ALR land in order to build our fine walled communities; Walter Grey and company kept the party going by voting in huge amounts of development above Mission, including the farce called Kettle Valley.

Yes, there are some on Council who seem to only represent the interests of developers, but don't toss the good with the bad!

Before you oust a mayor and council on their poor record of managing growth and development, note the following:

> It takes years for development projects to commence; as such, we are witnessing the development decisions of the prior council today. So, you can hold them to account for something like the CD21 decision, but not for the South Slopes.
> New candidates bring their own baggage with them. Get to know their backgrounds before you mark the ballot.

My $0.02

Sounds good but upon reflection, just doesn't wash. This Curret Mayor and Cunci have varied the OCP so much that I dont believe for one minute that they could not and have not undone former "development decisions". They do what they want. And we, the people, can see what this Mayoro and council want - unchecked development. This City is in a state of absolute chaos. Buildings flying up everywhere. Every single place we thought was open is now being built on. Drive around this city and it will make you vomit. ALL the open space and beauty is gone and this group intends to complete the destruction? It's time for it to STOP. It's time for change. I want to see Kim Quillette given the opportunity in conjunction with an entirely new council in order to save the little that is lelft to save. Otherwise, this City can bend over and kiss it's behind goodbye!! What a horrible shame. What a travesty!! 3 B!! :ohmygod:
damngrumpy
Übergod

Post by damngrumpy »

Well after watching and listening I have to mumble a bit and vote for Shephard. No, I am not over it, she ticked me off in major fashion the last year or so, but the city is better off with her at the
helm than the other choice. Kim needs to get some experience behind her before taking on the main job as it were. People with a lot of experience at other things have no idea how hard the game of politics really is. Without the benefit of experience one can quickly find themselves in an
isolate position
As much as I would like to vote for change in this position, its not the time to be changing horses
as it were. Things are going to get very tight, economically, socially, and in general.
Coming down to the final days, its time to make a decision, and unfortunately I will be voting for
Shephard.
3 B's

Post by 3 B's »

damngrumpy wrote:Well after watching and listening I have to mumble a bit and vote for Shephard. No, I am not over it, she ticked me off in major fashion the last year or so, but the city is better off with her at the
helm than the other choice. Kim needs to get some experience behind her before taking on the main job as it were. People with a lot of experience at other things have no idea how hard the game of politics really is. Without the benefit of experience one can quickly find themselves in an
isolate position
As much as I would like to vote for change in this position, its not the time to be changing horses
as it were. Things are going to get very tight, economically, socially, and in general.
Coming down to the final days, its time to make a decision, and unfortunately I will be voting for
Shephard.

Yeah well this is HOW we keep getting more of the same. Step out and have some guts. Voting for more of the same is just plain dumb buddy. You sound like just another sheeple. Name recognizition will do for ya huh? Sorry for you. You will receive the same and worse also. The more they are voted in the more arrogant they become. I, for one, want a FRESH face, a new succinct approach and the guts to do it. Kim is the answer in that respect. I am tired of the baby talking, please everyone approach. It does not work. Never has and neaver will. Grab your brain. How could you possibly go wrong by voting for a change of 12 years of the same flip flopping, wishy washy, please everybody, embarass yourself, crap>???!!! Think!!!! Then cast your vote. This is rediculous, just vote for what you already don't like??? Sure, makes sense to me HUH????? This city needs help, that is for sure!! It starts with it's citizens!! :skyisfalling:
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

The problem Mr Grumpy is referring to, is that Sharon Shepherd is the better candidate. Much to my chagrin. I dislike a lot about Mayor Shepherd, however I feel that voting for Kim would be like shooting myself in the foot. Sure it may heal, and isn't life threatening, but it's not something I want to try just because it's a "change."

I'd rather go with something annoying, than something more likely to actually cause harm. Same goes in this election.
uhrg

Post by uhrg »

An open suggestion to those who post in these forums: If you would like to sway opinion in your favour please refrain from personal insults and patronizing generalizations. If you wish to dispute a claim, please attempt to do so rationally - to simply say something "doesn't wash" suggests a lack of a viable rebuttal and critical thinking abilities.

ps - emoticons are adolescent and have no place in a mature discussion.
Chmmr
Board Meister

Post by Chmmr »

3 B's wrote:Yeah well this is HOW we keep getting more of the same. Step out and have some guts. Voting for more of the same is just plain dumb buddy. You sound like just another sheeple. Name recognizition will do for ya huh? Sorry for you. You will receive the same and worse also. The more they are voted in the more arrogant they become. I, for one, want a FRESH face, a new succinct approach and the guts to do it. Kim is the answer in that respect. I am tired of the baby talking, please everyone approach. It does not work. Never has and neaver will. Grab your brain. How could you possibly go wrong by voting for a change of 12 years of the same flip flopping, wishy washy, please everybody, embarass yourself, crap>???!!! Think!!!! Then cast your vote. This is rediculous, just vote for what you already don't like??? Sure, makes sense to me HUH????? This city needs help, that is for sure!! It starts with it's citizens!! :skyisfalling:

I think voting for someone with no experience and nothing to back it up is the action that is dumb. Name recognition has nothing to do with it. Personally i will be doing the same thing as damn grumpy. I would like very much to have a change in mayor, but unfortunately based on what i have seen thus far, I have absolutely 0 confidence that Kim is that person. I really wish she were. That said, it would be foolish of me to vote for her with 0 confidence in her, when i could vote for Sharon Sheperd. While i disagree with some of Sharon Sheperd's actions in the past, i also feel strongly that she will not run our city into the ground or do anything horrific in the next term and unfortunately that is how i am having to measure this particular mayoral race for my ballot.
twentyandholding

Post by twentyandholding »

I would liek to commend kim oullettes fast action and saving a mans life at the rutland vetrans parade, and all our prayers are going out the jake lowen and his family......... your a hero kim! :hailjo:
Chmmr
Board Meister

Post by Chmmr »

twentyandholding wrote:I would liek to commend kim oullettes fast action and saving a mans life at the rutland vetrans parade, and all our prayers are going out the jake lowen and his family......... your a hero kim! :hailjo:

That is a great thing indeed, however you also posted it in her personal thread. I am not sure how this pertains to the Mayoral discussion on this thread?
flynn

Post by flynn »

I am a third generation Kelowna local. The destruction to this valley is not acceptable.

WE have increased polution, limited water and we are not placing enough value on our agricultural land in the low lying areas. WE need to takje control of or derstiny. Building more homes at a buy in price of $400K is not helping us or any young family. Look at the mess in Black Mountain.
Having big subdivisions built by people who do not live here only to use this place as a money maker has to stop. They don't care about the future just money. This place will turn into a silicone valley and will be destroyed. Check out how much the smog index has risen in the last 10 years.

Everyones talking about a "new plan" better be a good one, and we need a Mayor who will be able to stay in for a long term to make the changes. I would rather have rabbits, then mountains and farm land covered in mass housing..
3 B's

Post by 3 B's »

uhrg wrote:An open suggestion to those who post in these forums: If you would like to sway opinion in your favour please refrain from personal insults and patronizing generalizations. If you wish to dispute a claim, please attempt to do so rationally - to simply say something "doesn't wash" suggests a lack of a viable rebuttal and critical thinking abilities.

ps - emoticons are adolescent and have no place in a mature discussion.

Thanks so much for the "critical review" However, I don't deny you your absolute right to express your opinion. Campaigns lend themselves to praising or criticising our tax payer funded supposed public servants and their demonstrated performances. If I advocate for certain people to be given the opportunity to serve, that is my right. If you choose to stay with the same, that's your right. Nobody really believes that expressing one's opinion is going to change masses of peoples minds. Hopefully everyone will think about the election and candidates critically. Your patronizing generations statement made no sense. Being passionate about politics is not irrational. Otherwise the same statement would apply to you. And "emoticons?" What does that have to do with anything? I guess the bulk of us here are immature then. I think your generalizations regarding intent, different expressions, the suggestion of a lack of thinking abilities etc. demonstrates some irrational behaviour on your part.
3 B's

Post by 3 B's »

damngrumpy wrote:Well after watching and listening I have to mumble a bit and vote for Shephard. No, I am not over it, she ticked me off in major fashion the last year or so, but the city is better off with her at the
isolate position
Shephard.

From my perspective I guess I am just expressing my frustration at the whole situation. In fact, I can't vote in Kelowna since I live in Westbank. However, the rest of my family , and it's a big family, all live in Kelowna so I go there often. I see what I see and I listen to them. Nobody is happy it seems with what has happened to the City. My son and daughter-in-law alone have had their neighbourhood ruined by a huge ugly building. The extra traffic, all the crime that has moved into the neighbourhood makes it unsafe for their children to play in an adjacent lot that is part of a church. Just nothing is the same. All I hope for is the Kelowna residents, vote for the much needed changes to put an immediate halt to this out of control development.
twentyandholding

Post by twentyandholding »

well here we are so close to the end of all this elction stuf,federal, american, provincl,
and the only thing i see is that any real changes have takenplace is south of the border.
why is it that we canadians always (my point of view) seem to vote out people we don't like and the usa votes for who they want in ???? iwant to vote for the mayorl canadiate who wants change, so be it she not has experince, she has shown through this canpain that she has held her own agaist someone with expenece and has spoken well expressed herself with what she wants to achieve, and i agree we need to review where and what we as a city are really doing. has with last electon i wanted to see change did i ,some was it enough no.
what i did see was a lack of media attention given to the mayoral candiates, here for the firsst time in kelownas history we could end up with an all female concill, and the media not all media where not covering our mayoral canditate to its full protentical, if this was between the mayor and an incumberment coucill member would it have been a media frenzy? so my next question is why did not one of these experinece councill members come forward to run, or would we be then saying here we go again,, i glaad that kim oullette decided to run let the mayor have to show us she still is worthy of being my mayor is she the one, i don't think she is oops! i changed my mind. :dyinglaughing:

I will be voting for a change experinced or not look what experence has done for us so far :200:
traffic, air port expantion,no affordable housing,and what affordable housing we do have is being redevolped for condos. i think what kim oullette said lets take that year to figure out where we are going, the economny is not doing so good.

My vote is going to kim oullette :sunshine:
good luck to you young lady you did good! :nyah:

Return to “Kelowna”