Peachland council - General discussion

peacher

Re: Peachland council - General discussion

Post by peacher »

Generally speaking, all we can really gain from the candidates' forum is a chance to see how they think on their feet, probably one of the most important requirements of a competent and effective legislator. When you need over a hour just for opening and closing statements and have to be out of a building within 2 1/2 hours there is little time for serious and effective debate when you have a dozen people at the table. Some candidates like Bud Day, Ernie Hurd and Linda Sarsons pretty well disqualified themselves very quickly by thinking poorly on their feet in my mind, while others like Geiger left me a bit suspicious with carefully prepared and indexed notes. As for Fielding, someone should explain to him that you should never try to tell people out west that you're from Ontario and know how things should be done properly. And even though he tried to deny it, he came across as a bit of a single issue man.

Voters are more or less forced to ask blanket questions of everyone and then give all 12 of them two minutes each to respond. There goes another half hour! Many people, I assume in the interests of brevity, requested 'yes or no' answers, to which one candidate objected on the grounds the questions required more explanation - not hard to agree with her on that point. It's also far too easy to listen to what the candidates say before your turn and then to borrow the best of what they say as coming from your own mind. Unfortunately, many of us didn't get a chance to ask questions due to the time. However it was still a usefull evening and the turn-out was very encouraging. My choices are made.
shania

Post by shania »

Glad to see that someone else that thought it was peculiar and not being prepared that had Mrs. Geiger standing up with written answers to each question!! Weren't those questions being posed by her supporters? I agree with Peacher, it's totally suspicious!! I also question the fact that the View reported that she was going to"Retire", yet she announced that she would still sell real estate?? Not too sure, but doesn't having a vested interest in real estate constitute a major conflict of interest??

Reading Mr. Day's mail out explaining that he was confused by the time constraints of the evening was sad. However, I would expect that anyone seeking the position of mayor would have to be able to cope with such situations. It was nice that he still thanked everyone who helped him to get there.

Mr. Fielding seems to be getting roasted for wanting to have Responsible Development. I'm sure the residents of other communities that have been sold out to developers and left with water shortages, major expenses and very little tax dollars would support this theory! It is most peculiar as we complain constantly about watching our "ambiance" fade as they pave paradise yet when someone stands up for it, they are persecuted.

I believe we have a polarized mentality to believe that 'more development means a greater tax base'. More development requires more infrastructure, full time fire fighters, policing, staff and most importantly......where is all the water coming from??? We actually need young families and kids to balance out our demographics and keep the town viable, not construction.
Peachland Boy

Post by Peachland Boy »

Without doubt your biases are very evident and unfair to say the least. I was not a Shirley Geiger supporter until the forum but I think I am now. It is unfortunate that you cast being prepared as a suspicious behaviour. Any person that wanted to was able to come forward and ask any question that they felt was important to them. Shirley obviously spent a couple of minutes preparing for the forum as opposed to just wasting our time. It would not take a rocket scientist to figure out what questions would be foremost on residents minds and then have answers ready for those questions. It is my opinion that you are trying to excuse the incompetence of others by casting a negative light on another. Shame on you for this negative tactic and I hope most residents will be more honest than you are being. I do not support someone that has to make excuses for their behaviour or someone that supports density bonusing if it means their pet project will follow through and not others. What happened to all citizens being treated equally. Again lets excuse common sense and elect whom ever makes us "feel good" and the heck with those not like ourselves.
Where are the young families supposed to live, and where can they work? How about amenities for the children and the possibility of employment so they do not have to leave the community when they graduate.
ogleby
Fledgling

Post by ogleby »

"Glad to see that someone else that thought it was peculiar and not being prepared that had Mrs. Geiger standing up with written answers to each question!!"

Certainly was suspicious, wasn't it? Of course, she needed to be prepared beforehand, on account of she apparently doesn't have a stock answer. Y'know -- like, if you're Bud Day, you just say "Well, I'll study the matter for a few months." And if you're Keith Fielding, you just say, "I'm against it." Easy answers, no preparation necessary.

"I also question the fact that the View reported that she was going to"Retire".

Well done. You should* question anything the View reports.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Two times in last week's View the subject of Geiger's career was brought up:

"We owned a plumbing and heating company and a real estate company," said Geiger, noting Peachland Real Estate will be sold as of December 1 but she intends to continue working in real estate sales.

Geiger will no longer own Peachland Realty as of December 1 but she intends to continue working in real estate in the future.

Where in those sentences does it say she is going to retire? The word does not appear.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Rjamer
Übergod

Re: Peachland election candidates

Post by Rjamer »

Born_again wrote:
For mayor:

Bud Day
Shirley Geiger
Keith Fielding

[-X No way on earth will the wife of a husband and wife realtor team get my vote! The gall astounds me.
http://www.peachlandrealty.ca/peachland-realty.htm wrote:Gary & Shirley Geiger, a husband and wife team of forty two years working together to serve you; “our client”.

“WE LOVE OUR JOB ~~~~~ SELLING REAL ESTATE”

We are the broker/owners of Peachland Realty Ltd. We have been licensed under the British Columbia Real Estate Association for eighteen years. Working in the Central Okanagan all of that time, one could say we know the area well.

Actually,, there are lot of people that feel the same way about a REALTOR running for mayor,,ESPECIALLY THIS ONE !!!!!!!...
Bozzo and Me

Post by Bozzo and Me »

Geiger: Maybe someone could decipher what her platform means.
. Ensure that the decision on the location of Hwy 97 puts citizen safety first--Means nothing--another traffic light on the current highway?--no definitive position on high-line or 4 lane.
. Put "school house on a referendum" -- positive position, then at the All Candidates "referendums are costly items. If the citizens want them we can" --not so positive. Would she have a referendum to find out if the citizens want a referendum?
. Protect the official city logo if the majority of citizens prefer to do so-- 1100 said they wanted the Sail Boat, what doesn't she understand. Does that mean another referendum? Until the new council reinstates and makes the Sail Boat official, the Play Along logo is official again on Jan 1,2010. The current council didn't make a decision. It's only on hold, as Jean Fraser pointed out. The Centennial logo is the interim one.
. Future responsible development-- nearly every candidate has said this, including Geiger, what does "responsible" mean, responsible in whose eyes? I have the same problem with "sustainable" development that some candidates propose.

Mayor plus Real Estate plus development and developers -- a toxic mix. Not my vote.

Who can say if the sale of Peachland Real Estate will actually go through in this economic climate, hardly a great time for real estate.
A Dec 1 proposed sale is after the election, and anyway she said she is going to continue to be involved and probably Garry as well.
ogleby
Fledgling

Post by ogleby »

Keith Fielding says, in his campaign brochure: "I want to see: A new Official Community Plan based on a thorough consultation with the community."

Carol Smithson, "A board member of the Peachland Society, Citizens for Responsible Community Planning, managing the website" also says she "will work for 'A new Official Community Plan'".

Yet the Statement of Goals for Citizens for Responsible Community Planning in Peachland, which Mr. Fielding co-founded, says: "To promote acceptance of the idea that Peachland’s Official Community Plan should be a ‘near sacrosanct’ policy statement" and "updates and renewals take place at dates specified within the plan" and "mid-stream OCP changes occur in exceptional circumstances only".

Which version of their "vision" should we believe?
ogleby
Fledgling

Post by ogleby »

The Halls are an interesting proposition. Married, they share their campaign signs and brochures and apparent goals.

So if they're both elected, council is effectively reduced to five members, while the Halls double-dip from the city's coffers. Should they both attend, say, the UBCM convention, they can bill the municipality for a nice little family holiday.
ILovePeachland

Post by ILovePeachland »

Bozzo doesn't realize that the Mayor only has one vote so it doesn't matter how many "developers" make presentations to Council. Hopefully with Mrs. Geiger's background, a developer would at least get a chance to meet with staff and council if a presentation is worthwhile to the Municipality. With Mr. Fielding, any development he wouldn't deem "sustainable" would never make it through the process. He never did define the term "sustainable development" at the All Candidates forum and managed to evade the one question posed to him. Talk about Hidden Agendas!
peacher

Post by peacher »

There is one major issue that must be looked at. As they say, justice must not only be done, it must also be SEEN to be done. The same can be said of ethics and propriety. It will take a giant leap of faith to take Geiger's word for it that, should she be elected, confidential meeting discussions about land issues will not turn into "pillow talk" since she admits a continuing connection to her real estate business even if is sold. And if Peachland Boy wants to consider that a bias...yes he is absolutely correct. And with good and valid reason.
ILovePeachland

Post by ILovePeachland »

Peacher, I am surprised at your rant. Have you not heard of Conflict of Interest? The Mayor and Councillors have to excuse themselves from discussions and votes if there is a potential conflict of interest. By the way, Peachland Realty has been sold. I went into the office to enquire and met the new owners. You have to take off your blinders and look at what/who is best for the future of Peachland - progressive not regressive.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

peacher wrote:since she admits a continuing connection to her real estate business

Not quite. She said she would continue working in real estate. She didn't say she would have continuing connection to her soon-to-be sold real estate business.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
peacher

Post by peacher »

We are into hair splitting here. It does not matter who Geiger works for. Stepping out of council discussions is one thing. The possibility for using priviledged info for one's own gain is the real concern. That is not being negative...it is being rightfully suspicious based on what has gone on in other jurisdictions over the years. Nor is this a suggestion that Geiger would do anything wrong. But as I said...proper behavior must be seen to be done. We will be watching closely!
ogleby
Fledgling

Post by ogleby »

Well, let's see here now...it's gonna be an interesting three years --

If Fielding, Smithson and their symbionts are elected, nothing will happen because, gawd forbid, there might be "progress" in there somewhere.

If Day and his ilk are elected, we'll get a couple of hundred metres of new sidewalks after endless discussions on the proper consistency of concrete.

If Geiger and her sycophants win out we'll end up with a really really rich mayor who makes money off secret info passed on to her real-estate buddies.

I think I'll skip this election; I don't want to be accused of aiding in the destruction of Peachland.

Return to “Peachland”