Gail Given - School District #23 Candidate

Jo
Slot 16

Gail Given - School District #23 Candidate

Post by Jo »

This thread is for Gail Given, candidate for School District #23.
chevrolet1947

Re: Gail Given - School District #23 Candidate

Post by chevrolet1947 »

If Gail runs the school board the way she ran the Bay we're all in trouble
Lovintherockets

Post by Lovintherockets »

I have just returned from the open forum for school board trustees and I would like to thank Gail for her time. I had the chance to speak with her after the fact and I had the opportunity to ask a question or two before all of the candidates, she really impressed me. She is about kids. She was one of the few (4 people) that did NOT put thier respective foot in mouth from the kelowna pool of candidates. Tonite I learned that one of my 4 votes will go to a Parent, one that is in touch with the here and now of the school system. Good Luck Gail !!!
CarMa
Übergod

Post by CarMa »

I was at the forum, too, and was impressed with what Gail had to say about public education. I think a Board should have a diverse expertise and Gail would certainly be a great parent voice.

lovingtherockets, who else did you like?
Lovintherockets

Post by Lovintherockets »

Hi Carma
I was there as a Parent of a "special needs" student ( aces program) and I can tell you that 2 other Trustees "got" my vote last nite. Rolli, because man, is he ever on top of all the issues and he always has the papers to back up what he talks about. And Wayne Horning. He wasn't afraid of the question that I had and for not knowing what kind of questions the public had, he had a fantastic response, plus, that man is EVERYWHERE no matter what school you walk into if you are going to find a Trustee chances are good that it is him. As I said in my previous post, Gail Given impressed the socks off of me.The yellow sheet that I received walking into the forum would have great had I received it a couple of days before last nite but I made my other decision based on it and other "reads" and the platforms presented. Quite honestly, walking into that forum last nite, all my votes were up for grabs....not anymore. With the departure of Shelly Nichol, there is going to be new blood in the board either way, I am excited about the future of School District 23.

Good Luck to all Candidates and thankyou for working for kids !!!
Chmmr
Board Meister

Post by Chmmr »

Lovintherockets wrote:Hi Carma
I was there as a Parent of a "special needs" student ( aces program) and I can tell you that 2 other Trustees "got" my vote last nite. Rolli, because man, is he ever on top of all the issues and he always has the papers to back up what he talks about. And Wayne Horning. He wasn't afraid of the question that I had and for not knowing what kind of questions the public had, he had a fantastic response, plus, that man is EVERYWHERE no matter what school you walk into if you are going to find a Trustee chances are good that it is him. As I said in my previous post, Gail Given impressed the socks off of me.The yellow sheet that I received walking into the forum would have great had I received it a couple of days before last nite but I made my other decision based on it and other "reads" and the platforms presented. Quite honestly, walking into that forum last nite, all my votes were up for grabs....not anymore. With the departure of Shelly Nichol, there is going to be new blood in the board either way, I am excited about the future of School District 23.

Good Luck to all Candidates and thankyou for working for kids !!!

Two questions. What is the aces program? And also what was on the yellow sheet? I really wanted to be there last night but unfortunately my husband had a commitment and someone had to stay home with the kids!
CarMa
Übergod

Post by CarMa »

The set of yellow sheets were questions that COTA had posed to all of the candidates. Every candidate had a page with the answers and most had a photo and a statement, too.

The questions included the issues of corporate sponsorship, FSA's, budget priorities, early learning and other stuff (I can't remember them all). They were sent to the schools for teachers to read.

There was also a stack of them at the forum.
CarMa
Übergod

Post by CarMa »

Oh, and the "ES" in ACES stands for Exceptional Students. I don't remember what the A and C stand for.
2by4angel
Fledgling

Post by 2by4angel »

I believe what was being referred to, in terms of the 'ACES Program', was actually the Advisory Council for Exceptional Students (ACES).
In fact, this isn't a program, but an advisory council consisting of parents/guardians who have children with varying 'abilities' in SD #23...This group, who meets on a monthly basis, was established some time ago by motion of the Board of Education and one of their roles is to provide input into special education topics at the district level.

Return to “Kelowna”