Castanet posting fake election results

techrtr
Übergod

Castanet posting fake election results

Post by techrtr »

Hey, Castanet is testing their election results coverage right now with fake results. Robert Hobson has 0 votes. Now, if I didn't know better, I would think I was seeing results from advance polls and wouldn't vote for the candidates at the bottom of the list.

If I was one of those candidates, I would be very *bleep*. Plus, I wonder if Elections BC has something to say about this.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: Castanet posting fake election results

Post by ferri »

i just checked it and everyone has 0 votes. :137:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

A difficulty with the election matcher is that if a candidate answers "depends' instead of a solid yes or no, it doesn't come up as a match...although it may be. The more experienced politicians know that it is difficult sometimes to give a definite answer as more information may be needed or come to light that causes him/her to change their viewpoint. As well, sometimes a candidate may have to vote against their PERSONAL viewpoint for the greater good of the community it serves. I found reading the candidate's statements and visiting their websites more helpful to me than the candidate matcher.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

― Albert Einstein
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

:200: accidently :offtopic:

I still think that the candidate matcher is misleading and not the best way determine who you are going to vote for.

OK :backtotopic:
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

They shut it down. Someone I work with called them to tell them that what they were doing was bad, very bad.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

i have no idea what you are talking about then. i still get the page with all the candidates names with 0.
― Albert Einstein
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Yeah, but until they were told that what they were doing was wrong, and possibly illegal, they were posting fake numbers e.g. Charlie Hodge 8033, Robert Hobson 0, Kid Rock 345 etc. Then the numbers were being refreshed every 60 seconds. They've turned it off now.
David
Castanet Forum Founder

Post by David »

Here's the scoop.

At around 12:45 today we posted links on our front page to local voting locations. We also posted a teaser link to our result tote board we'll have on election night.

When we were testing the tote board in house, our programmer generated some random results. (There are bars next to each candidate's name that vary in size according to there vote count.)

We realized shortly after the launch of the teaser link (about 15 minutes) that we had accidentally left the test data up. It has now been zeroed out. Our apologies to everyone for leaving the test data up.

As always, if you spot an error on Castanet please call 250-860-5050 or email us [email protected] and we'll endeavor to fix it immediately. We have lots of people answering phones and checking the news email box. However, a post to the forums will likely be missed and take us much longer to correct.

David
David Fowler
slayer2blive

Post by slayer2blive »

I have to wonder how the results of the candidate questionaire in respect of people matching with the candidates was determined. In the news report they mention weighing of the responses, when ever weight is put on responses you can tip the scale any way you want. Why didn't they report the matching percentage for Kim, there is only two mayoral candidates it wouldn't have taken up much space.

:rate6: nope change that to :rate10:
CarMa
Übergod

Post by CarMa »

Piecemaker wrote::200: accidently :offtopic:

I still think that the candidate matcher is misleading and not the best way determine who you are going to vote for.

OK :backtotopic:

I'll bite... I totally agree. I did the test and discovered that people I personally know and have always supported are at the bottom of the list and it's ALL because of the depends answers. I like someone who recognizes and can explain the shades of grey in any situation. It's easy to answer "yes" or "no" and play the odds.

Return to “Kelowna”