Modern Day Evidence God Exists

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
usquebaugh
Guru

Re: Modern Day Evidence God Exists

Post by usquebaugh »

soulra wrote:Edit post to clarify the question. When have we ever been called the 'Western Christian Civilization"?

Gotcha. I've only heard Western Civ myself, but then I've never attended a bible college. Perhaps that's where that definition is taught?
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds
Tumult
Board Meister

Post by Tumult »

Is that perhaps a technical way to say "Christendom"? Before the rise of fixed nations people identified themselves differently. You may have been the subject of some royal or another but if you were Christian you were still part of Christendom. Islam is(was) similar.
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it”
-Max Planck
unclemarty
Board Meister

Post by unclemarty »

Boy are we gonna get it from the thread gestapo.

Western Christian Civilization?

Did'nt Byzantium a.k.a Constantinople a.k.a Istambul demark the separation between "East and West" Emperor Constantine consolidating Christianity west of that point. The eventual result being all those nations of misc pagan tribes accepting christianity, developing into various nations most if not all having a distinctly cross like design on their national flags thereby being know as the Western Christian Civilization.

I really don't know, just a brainfart from fragments of history i remember.
"Jerusalem is a port city on the shore of eternity." - Yehuda Amichai
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

Tumult wrote:Is that perhaps a technical way to say "Christendom"? Before the rise of fixed nations people identified themselves differently. You may have been the subject of some royal or another but if you were Christian you were still part of Christendom. Islam is(was) similar.

Christendom works, but even before "fixed nation states," there were nations. Of course, England wasn't properly England until Alfred the Great united Mercia, Northumbria, East Anglia, and Wessex (his own kingdom), in order to route the Vikings (who later came back, but not during his reign!). But you're right, France consisted of Normandy and Gaul, and wasn't necessarily France, and they had tribal/regional identities, rather than national.

I hope you answered soulra's question, Tumult.
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

iphtheme wrote: Christendom works, ...

Just for the record, and please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this termed as "Christiandom"? I know this probably seems trivial, but am I wrong?
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

steven lloyd wrote:

Just for the record, and please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this termed as "Christiandom"? I know this probably seems trivial, but am I wrong?

Christendom is usually the term used. It's the term I've come across when conducting research. There are primary sources (meaning documents from the time period itself) which refer to Christendom. For example, King Alfred the Great's translation of Orosius in 893 mentions "cristendome," specifically. Western Christian Civilization is most likely something coined by a historian at a later date; and thus, found in secondary sources. I usually prefer to use terminology from the actual time period I'm writing about.
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
unclemarty
Board Meister

Post by unclemarty »

:dyinglaughing:
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

soulra wrote:Edited post to clarify the question. When have we ever been called the 'Western Christian Civilization"?

Thanks guys and gals. But It's not exactly the answer I'm looking for.
Joe's statement made it sound like there was a map with 'The Western Christian Civilization" on it. I have yet to see such a map.
Maybe Joe can clarify it for me.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

pwnd
unclemarty
Board Meister

Post by unclemarty »

Born_again wrote:pwnd

:-k...??
Please Wipe Nose Dry
Party With Nearsighted Drunks
Police With No Doughnuts
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

*giggles* Unclemarty, if I were trying to be in the least cryptic, I'd probably say something like:

aloof
:dyinglaughing:
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

"No, you're a loof."-Fez
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

iphtheme wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:

Christendom is usually the term used. It's the term I've come across when conducting research. There are primary sources (meaning documents from the time period itself) which refer to Christendom. For example, King Alfred the Great's translation of Orosius in 893 mentions "cristendome," specifically. Western Christian Civilization is most likely something coined by a historian at a later date; and thus, found in secondary sources. I usually prefer to use terminology from the actual time period I'm writing about.

Interesting. Thanks. I did not know that.
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

soulra wrote:
soulra wrote:Edited post to clarify the question. When have we ever been called the 'Western Christian Civilization"?

Thanks guys and gals. But It's not exactly the answer I'm looking for.
Joe's statement made it sound like there was a map with 'The Western Christian Civilization" on it. I have yet to see such a map.
Maybe Joe can clarify it for me.

That's why I brought up primary vs. secondary sources.

averagejoe Are you referring to a map created during said historical period, or one labelled afterwards by a historian? Most maps from the Middle Ages would be in Latin. Here's an example of a Macrobian world map from the tenth century that was put in a copy of Bede's De temporum ratione.
10th century world map
10th century world map
Even as late as the 15th century, Latin is still in use:
15th century world map
15th century world map

In Medieval or Early Modern cartography, I have never seen a map entitled "Western Christian Civilization."
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

averagejoe wrote:If you like to ridicule those who believe in God. Maybe you should have been at the Remembrance Day ceremonies? We sang O Canada, God Save the Queen and other songs with references to God. Those who perished, fought as I remember for God and country. King and country. Aren't the King or Queen Head of the Church of England? We "USED" to be called Western Christian Civilization where Christian European peoples lived throughout the world. Do you go by the calendar that says 2008 AD and before the birth of Jesus Christ. We refer that time as BC Before Christ? I would like to know how many Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen who know they were about to die. Did not pray to God. As my good friend Herb use to say. He never met an atheist in a foxhole. I really thing it's a slap in the face for those who fought and died for our country. To have those come on here and ridicule those who believe in God and may have relatives who died defending our nation. O Canada we stand on guard for thee!

Actually, in most academic historical references, BC has been replaced by BCE - Before Common Era, and AD ("Anno Domini") has been replaced by CE - Common Era.
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”