Re: Westside Mayoral - General Discussion

Post by sellpro 46 »

Thanks.
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

T. Rawlin wrote:
sellpro 46 wrote:I released the following Press Release to the media.
Please discuss it.

Discuss? How about I start with the quote that brevity is the soul of wit.

That's quite witty T.
Vote For Peter Haslock

Brevity was not a part of the following attempt to douse a name ... with the pause that refreshes ....
T. Rawlin wrote:by T. Rawlin on Oct 9th, 2008, 8:16 am
The New Coke - a fable in the spirit of Aesop.

Once upon a time, there was a beverage company called Coca-Cola. Coca Cola was in a rut. They had stagnant market share, and wanted to freshen things up. They craved attention, and wanted something that would shake things up.

They held focus groups, tested new formulations, and came up with what they thought was a winner. They announced this winner with great fanfare, saying that the New Coke was better in every way than the old Coke, which was rubbish. They even went so far as to get rid of old Coke, as New Coke was better, and was what the public wanted. Visions of greater profits and higher share prices danced in their heads.

But something happened. In spite of the testing and focus groups, people preferred the old Coke. Sales of New Coke plummeted. Shareholders and executives were worried and couldn't understand what was happening, but they had to act quickly before people started to get used to the taste of Pepsi. The public was starting to forget that Coke is It.

Coca-Cola Classic was born. Shareholders were relived. The executives could cut back on their blood pressure medications, and stop drinking Pepto Bismol by the bottle.

New Coke was discontinued long ago in most markets.

Today, on the Westside, Adam Less is that Coca Cola executive. He thought he had a winner, and wanted to throw out the old names by using a rigged ballot. He clearly did not have a winner, although we won't know for sure until November 15. Some people quietly liked the taste of the new Coke, but those that preferred the old Coke were vocal, and able to sway public opinion. The company backed down, and went on to reach new sales records with Coke Classic.

There is a moral here somewhere, I'm sure.

Methinks the moral could be "that brevity is the soul of wit" when one has nothing to say.
When one can't disagree with content but wants desperately to do so, than one berates the spelling, the punctuation, the tone, the brevity etc. and respond with a sound-bite or an unrelated lengthy discourse to divert the readers attention ...
and then one knows, in all likely hood, they they have the makings of a winner.
Please go to the following to read what T. Rawlin finds to be more serious than witty.

Vote For Peter Haslock
Last edited by Bestside on Nov 15th, 2008, 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
T. Rawlin
Fledgling

Post by T. Rawlin »

I'm so proud of you, Bestside, that you can use the search function to find a post of mine that was longer than a few sentences. You're becoming such a big boy now, soon you'll be able to go out on the internets all by yourself.

During the June 2007 referendum, you did more to turn people off of incorporation than attract them. You were literally the angusog of the referendum, and the two of you were a matched set on the naming issue. At times, it was almost like you and angusog were the opposite sides of a split personality. I am quite relieved to not be on the same side of an issue as you, as you cause more damage to your own faction than you do to your opponents.

This recent comment of yours was very typical of you. It contained a huge section of pasted text that had nothing to do with the topic under discussion. Please learn to use links in the future, to save the scroll wheel on my mouse.

Bestside wrote:Brevity was not a part of the following attempt to douse a name

If you had enough reading comprehension skills to understand an allegory, you would also notice that what I wrote didn't mention a single name at all, but did make fun of the process, and the people involved. No names were mentioned or "doused".

What I wrote also had a message - a memorable enough one for you to repost it, evidently. Can you point out some actual content in Haslock's press release? Perhaps you are easily swayed by fluffy reassurance? I tend to be more impressed by ideas.

Bestside wrote:When one can't disagree with content but wants desperately to do so, than one berates the spelling, the punctuation, the tone, the brevity etc. and respond with a sound-bite or an unrelated lengthy discourse to divert the readers attention ...

Had there been any content, I would have been able to either agree of disagree with it. Sadly, the press release was a few pages worth of Haslock discussing his feelings, and trying to express empathy for how he believes other people view the naming issue. If it had any value, it would have been turned into a story by at least one of the local media outlets. Instead, it died a lonely death in the dark bowels of the Castanet forums.

I was unlikely to have voted for Peter Haslock anyways, but seeing him cheering on someone like you, Bestside, is one more reason to rule him out. Even though I didn't vote for Findlater in 2007, I cannot see marking my ballot for someone who would say "Bestside, you rule".

Bestside wrote:and then one knows, in all likely hood, they they have the makings of a winner.

I'd wait until the results are announced tonight before coming to that conclusion.

Bestside wrote:Methinks the moral could be "that brevity is the soul of wit" when one has nothing to say.

You would do well to look in the mirror and repeat that to yourself before posting comments. It might save you from having to delete embarrassing or irrelevant posts in the future like you did with this one. Now all that you need to do is get sellpro46 to edit his post as well, to cover all of your tracks.
angusog
Übergod

Post by angusog »

T. Rawlin wrote:
Ranger66 wrote:That would be opposed to the great insight Doug Findlater has submitted to his thread.

I don't see why Doug should waste his time on here. By this point, I imagine that most candidates have figured out that it is not worth their time to post on here. Why should anyone with something useful to do with their time bother responding to the anonymous complaints, innuendo, and allegations put forward by people such as hereiamagain, parachute, canadman, Bestside, and company? You cannot change the minds of those type of people, they are almost as bad as that idiot angusog. It is futile to even try.

These forums have a lot less impact and fewer readers than you might think. All of the threads over the past few months have been dominated by a few frequent posters who are narrow-minded, repetitive, and generally ignorant. The shameful behaviour on the naming thread from almost everyone involved has dragged down the entire forum lately.

I read these forums routinely during the 2005 and 2007 elections, and even then, I had to hold my nose for a lot of it. This year, I found too much of the content disgusting, and I only look at a few threads, somewhat infrequently.

I love you too T.Rawlin. Are you really as perfect as you think you are? :smt023
canadman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by canadman »

Well everybody... we now have a new Angusog... Everyone say hello to T. Rawlins
"The road to hell is paved with concrete."
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

T. Rawlins has been around for a while. Just quieter than most.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
gouged
Board Meister

Post by gouged »

well no real mayoral canidates here. One I don't trust and the other needs to shelve the negativity and has poor interpersonal skills. Had to vote for the one I thought was the less lowsy than the other instead of who I thought could actually do the job! I wish to hell Neis had run again..I would have gladly eaten crow!

Return to “Westside”