District of West Kelowna

caffeine
Übergod

Re: District of West Kelowna

Post by caffeine »

I'm just listening to CBC. Findlater is on there, saying he has been of the position that the name with the most votes is the one to go with. But says that others on council have a higher threshold of 50% plus one. Not sure who those councilors are, or whether there are enough of them to quash the name change. Interesting though, the desire for a change easily passes that threshold. The name itself does not.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

fancy, 6,717 wanted a name change and 1,458 wanted no name change (keep Westside). Of the, presumably, latter, only 128 of them did not allocate their second vote on what name it should be changed to.
toru_msb
Fledgling

Post by toru_msb »

rturner wrote:toru_msb, only councillor-elect Rosalind Neis of the councillors elect said (to my recollection) that she would look for at least a simple majority, so it will be a great test of her integrity when it comes time for council to vote because I'd hazard a guess she preferred West Kelowna.

Ah yes, well I was speculating more on what the council might do without regard to what they may have said in the past.

It's cynical perhaps, but I see Findlater is already hinting that there may be a difference of opinion in council on how to interpret the opinion poll...

What they should do is throw away both existing names now.

Welcome to Okanagan Hills. It's a good name because as someone else pointed out, it's where we live - on ravaged, blasted hills scraped free of vegetation.
Last edited by toru_msb on Nov 15th, 2008, 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Only Rosalind Neis wanted 50% plus 1; Coun. Duane Ophus said he'd prefer a simple majority, but he'd take a look at a strong plurality.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thanks Rob. I just hope this name issue will be resolved soon. Voters sure were adamant about keeping the old names.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
1Westside
Fledgling

Post by 1Westside »

Now that the elections are over and the electorate have spoken, I would like to see everyone that has posted on here regardless of their views to unite as many have stated that is their goal.

To continue on a path of name calling and petty divisive antics will have communities divided and will have neighbours pitted against each other and will scuttle any chance we have of truly coming together. I would like to see a true community event where there is a celebration of our new name and to trumpet the possiblities of what the opportunities before us can be.

While we have many challenges ahead of us and a great many of those will involve money whether it be for sewer, police, roads etc we can and will overcome them as that is the character of this municipality.

It's been said in the US with President Elect Obama and his belief that "yes we can". We as a community have to believe that change is possible and the change we need is in acceptance of one another and to stop the stigma's that are present from the bridge to Glenrosa, it is then and only then that we will realize our true potential.

FYI-I voted for Westbank and will happily accept District of West Kelowna as the new name for our municipality.!!
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

People ascribe bad motives to people, and particularly Doug Findlater, too quickly these days. Doug is the mayor-elect of our city, he's just come through a roasting experience (much of his own making) on council's lack of transparency, backroom meetings, et al, and seems to me to be steering in another, better direction by being cautious and open to all members of council and what may develop up to the point that the motion is made and the vote held.
parachute
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by parachute »

Look at the ballot numbers for our city name, and ignore the 6% of votes for Okanagan Hills and Westlake. The advanced poll numbers and the Constable Neil Bruce numbers almost cancel themselves re Westbank or West Kelowna. But if we combine the George Pringle numbers with Glen Rosa and combine Hudson Road with Rose Valley – this what we have:

GP + GR went for “Westbank” 2124 to 695
Hudson + RV went for “West Kelowna” 1896 to 281

Are we a divided city or what? Sure we knew the division of our aspirations was there the day the amalgamation/incorporation vote was counted. The results of this November 15, 2008 naming questionnaire simply confirms that divisiveness is still alive and well.

Let us PLEASE wish that Mayor Elect Findlater and Council are able to find a way to appease us all. They need as much help as they can get from all of us. Re-hashing what candidates said during the campaign about what they would or would not do with the naming question probably will not provide Council with much help.

Congratulations to all successful Westside candidates. Best wishes for three enjoyable, successful, but hard-working years at the helm.
caffeine
Übergod

Post by caffeine »

I don't think it's actually as divisive as people would think by reading this forum.

Look at the voter turnout. Most people just don't care.
Reg Forrest

Post by Reg Forrest »

Analyse it any way you like but the result is clear.The people have voted and they voted to change to WEST KELOWNA - and I am very happy with that.
1Westside
Fledgling

Post by 1Westside »

Caffeine, that is probably the most accurate statement that I've read on here to date. The preverbial nail on the head!!! Well done!
CountryAtHeart
Lord of the Board

Post by CountryAtHeart »

Actually, it is quite sad that no, "the people have not voted".

The voter turnout was an absolute disgrace. It is so frustrating that there are those of us who care about the community that we live in, but can't vote at all; and then only 8000 of those who have the freedom to vote, excersise that right.

:smt013
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Elektrik_Sky wrote:Actually, it is quite sad that no, "the people have not voted".

The voter turnout was an absolute disgrace. It is so frustrating that there are those of us who care about the community that we live in, but can't vote at all; and then only 8000 of those who have the freedom to vote, excersise that right.

:smt013

Lol, yeah, the people voted. It's over.
hereiamagain
Übergod

Post by hereiamagain »

rturner wrote:Doug Findlater,(has)... just come through a roasting experience (much of his own making) on council's lack of transparency, backroom meetings, et al, and seems to me to be steering in another, better direction by being cautious and open to all members of council and what may develop up to the point that the motion is made and the vote held.

I was one of those very angry with him and his toadies - but I am willing to give him (and them) a chance to be better. This is a new chapter now. For all of them.
I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy.
hereiamagain
Übergod

Post by hereiamagain »

1Westside wrote:Now that the elections are over and the electorate have spoken, I would like to see everyone that has posted on here regardless of their views to unite as many have stated that is their goal.

To continue on a path of name calling and petty divisive antics will have communities divided and will have neighbours pitted against each other and will scuttle any chance we have of truly coming together. I would like to see a true community event where there is a celebration of our new name and to trumpet the possiblities of what the opportunities before us can be.

Absolutely 1Westside. I hope all will come to the attitude that it is time to move on.
I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy.

Return to “Westside”