Penticton Council - General Discussion

penticton23

Re: Penticton Council - General Discussion

Post by penticton23 »

Hats off to Dan Albas for his active participation in the election, not just here, but elsewhere as well. Look to Dan as being either a BC Liberal Premier one day or Conservative MP.

My prediction for the local election is:

Mayor: Jake Kimberley

Council: Dan Albas
Joanne Grimaldi (i)
Garry Litke (i)
Michael Pearce
Judith Sentes
John Vassilaki (i)

Council will be well balanced between, business, senior, civic and social interests.
crystalforcouncil

Post by crystalforcouncil »

MEET YOUR CANDIDATE!
You are invited to a meet and greet with Penticton City Council Candiate Crystal Froese.
Let's talk about the issues.
When: November 5th
Time: 5:30pm to 7:00pm
Where: Heartline Medical Clinic 110-2504 Skaha Lake Rd, Penticton
I look forward to seeing you there.
http://www.crystalforcouncil.blogspot.com
Dan Albas

Post by Dan Albas »

Hello Castanet Forum Participants,

Just a quick update on the recent Mayor and Council Candidate forums. I was very happy to see such a large turnout on Wednesday and Thursday night. After seeing the forums we would all agree that we have some very good candidates in the running and I congratulate them all for putting their names forward.

Quite a few people stayed and had questions about my platform as I only had a short time and did not go over each one in detail. To remedy that I have a two minute video that does. It is:

http://www.danalbas.com/dan_intro_3.php

Please check it out and feel free to pass it on to your friends and associates- thanks!

sincerely,

Dan Albas
Candidate, Penticton City Council Election 2008
#304- 1475 Fairview Road, Penticton BC
V2A 7W5 (250) 486-2199 [email protected]
http://www.danalbas.com

Click here to see Dan's video http://www.danalbas.com/dan_intro_1.php
iTard

Post by iTard »

I agree whole-heartedly with penticton23 in another post he made in this forum. Jake is well past his date. We need someone new to represent this city, someone progressive. I am looking forward to Penticton's future growth but cannot see it happening with the current Mayor and his "closed" door approach.

Dan Ashton is the one for the Mayor's job, though it will be a tough one to do. He is going to have to tighten the city's fiscal belt and this can go both ways:

1. City's need/want things and therefore taxes must go up to provide these things.
2. City programs get cut, staffing gets closely monitored and the SOEC is properly managed, maybe Taxes then remain the same.

What Dan Ashton will have to do, with a good team along with him (councillor’s), is say no to some city programs, trim staff at city hall etc. He will also need to balance negative situations that the city has; where they are understaffed at the fire hall, more policing may be needed and we have the SOEC to run.

Penticton need's to grow positively. It has been stagnant long enough and we need new blood in this city to spur this growth. A backwards thinking Mayor, such as Jake, is not the answer to this need.

Backwards thinking Councillors are also not the answer. When Dan Ashton is in the Mayors chair and has a team of backwards thinker's to his left and right than we will be facing the same lack of growth, lack of jobs, lack of money.

People such as Andrew Jakubeit, John Vassilaki, Mike Pearce, Tom Johnston, Judy Sentes and Dan Albas all have my vote on November 15, and Dan Ashton will have my vote for Mayor. These candidates will make up an excellent team of people to take this city to the next level. A team that we so badly need!
My wife call's me an "iTard" because I own too many Apple products, iPhone, iMac etc.
clthompson

Post by clthompson »

Want to express your views on the issues that should matter to Pentictonites? Fill out a short election survey at council candidate James Palanio's blog: http://jamespalanio.blogspot.com/2008/11/loading.html
Greg101

Post by Greg101 »

I'm having a problem with candidates for Penticton city council who live in Summerland, Kaleden or anywhere else outside the city boundaries. These people make decisions that affect the taxpayers while they don't have to pay the bills.

I know that my taxes plus every other rate on the tax bill went up a lot this year (School tax, sewer tax, RDOS rate, you name it). Some went up as much as 80% from the previous year's bill.

How does everyone else feel about this?
Dan Albas

Post by Dan Albas »

Hi Castanet.net participants,

I have cut and pasted the following from today's Penticton Western News Sunday edition. It seems to be incomplete as I can only find the first five. I will try and get the other 10 candidates. If any candidate who finds theirs is missing, please post your submission - it's all about giving people choices- thanks!

sincerely,

Dan Albas

Candidates outline priorities
Published: November 08, 2008 12:00 PM

Dan Albas
From day one, my campaign team and I have been busy door knocking and speaking with Penticton residents about what is important to them in the upcoming election.

The No. 1 issue at people’s doors is the high level of taxation in Penticton. Over the past year we have all seen increased costs. This leaves many people with limited income facing those rising costs, leaving less and less disposable income. In addition, the worldwide economic uncertainty has left many with savings and investments feeling like they may have to put off retirement. A recent report put out by the Canadian Federation of Independent business found that Penticton has the second highest taxes per capita (every man, woman and child) in B.C. Using City of Penticton’s own numbers that were given to the provincial government, only West Vancouver had a higher per capita. Most cities close to our size collect between a $1,000 - $1,100 per person; Penticton came in at $1,656. Many of those communities are offering much of the same services- at a lower price. 
We need to change our thinking on spending priorities at city hall. We cannot spend what we can’t afford during these economically challenging times.

Pamela Campion

The major issue is intelligent development for Penticton. Penticton will grow; people are drawn to this “place to stay forever,” as we were. We need to foster intelligent growth and development encouraging eco-friendly businesses such as light manufacturing, IT complexes and the film industry as we now have a burgeoning technical component for the film industry close by. These clean industries will enable young people to make a decent living here for their families.

As people move here we shall need housing, which, of necessity must be dense to prevent urban sprawl; but it must be intelligently planned with built - in parks and a good grocery store in the same location where we lost the former Super Valu. This would serve both young families and seniors who do not wish to use a car to visit a grocery store.

We shall always have a certain percentage of people needing housing assistance; we should give preference to developers who will set aside a percentage of their profits for low cost housing.

If we are to encourage intelligent, green development we need to provide more bike paths, start a free bike use scheme and extend the bus routes to include weekends to Naramata and drop off and pick up at the events centre to avoid using cars. Intelligent development of the tourist industry for those of limited means as well as high end wine visitors needs to happen; even in times of fiscal restraint. It can start with sprucing up the downtown area and the establishment of urban pocket parks.

Glenn Clark

The major issue facing Penticton residents is the cost associated with living here. Subsidized housing units, for low - income families and those on disability, has to have its first footprint laid down to grow from. In the last five years the cost of owning a home in Penticton has tripled while salaries have stayed put.

A classic comparison would be Fort McMurray, where the oil boom rocketed housing prices. There, many make six figures working the oil patch, and as a result, the competition for labour has made it difficult to keep restaurants open or attract RCMP officers who don’t make enough to live normally. The problem is multiplied in Penticton by our lower wages; young families in Penticton are forced to flee to Alberta and Saskatchewan to get ahead in life. Street crime, low productivity, stress and a stagnant economy are side effects associated with societies that don’t protect their vulnerable. Our city will become active and make a stand by providing land, work with developers and non profit companies, involve our college students in the trades to help design and build units for our growing housing pool.

Crystal Froese

The two most important issues facing Penticton are economic spending and land use.

We are in unprecedented economic times which mean strategically guarding our wallets. I own two very successful businesses - I understand hard work and the value of a dollar. But there are fundamentals that our taxes pay for and one of them is safety. A priority for budget review will be installing the appropriate number of firefighters so that Penticton is served at the WCB level.

Land use is an issue and can be managed by following Smart Growth principles. A variety of densification can be achieved through a mixture of single and multi-family dwellings and allowing housing to be built over businesses. But the question of how high really lies in appropriate scale and affordability when planning for these individual village nodes. I would develop a strategy and work with developers to include units that would be available to college students, people who work in service and trades jobs. We have to make sound decisions on land use now; what we build today will be here for generations to come.

I’ll serve the tax payer and be transparent and accountable to the city’s bottom line. Voting for Crystal Froese is voting for a balance for our future. For more information .

Joanne Grimaldi

The increasing cost of services and possibilities of a tax increase. Council must complete a balanced budget which addresses infrastructure maintenance and improvements; road improvements; parks, beaches and playing fields maintenance and improvements; new parks, trails and walkways; aging and cramped city buildings‘ maintenance and improvements plus possible replacement; equipment maintenance and replacement; maintain services; additional firefighters and police; transit and other subsidies; downtown revitalization; public demand for grants, subsidies and new amenities; city tourism and economic development promotion etc. plus the rising administration costs of RDOS; hopefully without raising taxes.

How? We must continue to press the federal and provincial governments to assist with infrastructure funding. We must entice the surrounding areas who use Penticton’s recreation facilities to share in the costs. By studying reports, doing research, weighing the data and information, being resourceful and innovative and using common sense and good judgment I will work hard on the council team to find acceptable solutions.
Dan Albas

Post by Dan Albas »

Sorry still haven't found the rest, but I did find this article published the day after the all candidate forum.

Thanks!

sincerely,

Dan Albas
www.danalbas.com

Council hopefuls outline vision for city

Published: October 30, 2008 10:00 AM
Updated: October 31, 2008 2:57 PM Former mayor Mike Pearce speaks to the crowd during Wednesday’s councillors’ candidate forum at the Penticton Trade and Convention Centre. Beside him is candidate James Palanio with incumbent Garry Litke on the right.

The city’s economy, affordable housing and local firefighters were hot topics during the councillor candidates’ forum at the Penticton Trade and Convention Centre Wednesday night.

About 300 people turned out to listen to the 15 candidates and to question how they would handle the job.

“This present council has brought city reserves to an all-time low and diverted our income stream until at least 2010 ... in order to pay for its excess spending habits,” said former city mayor Mike Pearce.

City council’s priority should be to establish the fiscal health of the community, said candidate Lindsey Hall.

“I will apply my knowledge, experience and skills to help you get out of this hole,” said Tom Johnston.

The budget process is difficult, long and agonizing, said incumbent Joanne Grimaldi. “We’re trying to decide which things we have to cut.” She pointed out that the Regional District of Okanagan Similkameen does not share any of the costs.

“We need to revisit the expenditures and ensure they are needed,” said candidate Judy Sentes. The bureaucracy must be investigated and explored, she added.

“Often our money is paid out on unnecessary resources,” said Randie Walter.

“My vision is one where children can afford to play hockey,” said candidate Glenn Clark.

There has been serious lack of accountability with our city council, according to James Palanio, and Dan Albas said he wants to protect the taxpayers’ pocketbooks.

When it comes to affordable housing, candidate Elvena Slump said it was the most important issue facing the city. She suggested the city sell the Ellis Street property, now set aside for a performing arts centre, and use the money to establish a land bank association that would bring in money for diversified housing.

Developers should be given priority for constructing cheaper housing, said candidate Pamela Campion. “Affordable housing is important. If the motels and mobile home parks are gone, people can’t afford to live here.” Developers should earmark a percentage of their products for affordable housing, she said.

Incumbent John Vassilaki said, “The first thing we have to do is supply reasonably priced housing.” And the city must be careful about how its planning department works, making it easier and friendlier to people, he said.

Candidate Andrew Jakubeit suggested the city should partner with developers, lease city land, rather than sell it, and partner more with the provincial and federal governments.

Grimaldi wants a true picture of the necessity for affordable housing, she said. “How many people are actually on the street? How many people need to be assisted?”

“It’s taken three years to get the secondary suites going,” said candidate Crystal Froese.

“I worked hard to get that secondary suite bylaw through,” noted incumbent Garry Litke.

Another big issue is safety and firefighters. According to Mike Richards, president of the Penticton Professional Firefighters, the shortage of firefighters in Penticton first came to light in 1992. The city has done several studies about the system, he said, the latest one this year. “What they did is, they shelved it,” said Richards. “We’re afraid that someone is going to get killed.”

The city has only four full-time firefighters — two at the downtown fire hall and two at the fire hall in the industrial area. The Workers’ Compensation Board requires that four firefighters must be on scene before entering a hazardous atmosphere. “In order to get to where we should be, there should be 12 (firefighters),” said Richards. “We should start with hiring four.” It costs $72,000 a year for each firefighter.

“It’s been studied to death,” said Froese. “Taxpayers pay for fire safety. This should be implemented right away.”

“Why are we putting our firefighters at risk in our city?” asked Jakubeit.

Two additional firefighters should be hired and two more the following year, said Palanio. “Safety is having a well-run fire department.”

Clark agreed. “Bring that fire hall back up to full capacity.”

Johnston also agreed. “We have to have more firefighters.”

When asked how candidates would make local government more open and responsible, Clark said, “There has to be way more transparency. Public input seems to be something that’s totally disregarded.”

“Obviously, I don’t want to see any more secret meetings,” said Johnston. “We should put the books on the website.”

“City hall doesn’t listen to the needs of the community,” said Jakubeit.

Transparency and approachability are key to making things more open, said Sentes. “Let the sun shine in.”

Palanio said there was lack of transparency and openness. “Extra spending,” he said. “We don’t understand why.”

Another issue is expanding city parkland. “I like the progressiveness of purchases around Skaha Lake,” said Clark. “I think we’re on the right course right now and should keep it up.”

“We have to start densifying in the downtown core,” said Vassilaki. “Whenever a large development takes place, some neighbourhood parks should be built.”

All new developments should include parkland, said Palanio.

Hall said the OCP has not been followed. “The Official Community Plan is wavering in the wind.”
Dan Albas

Post by Dan Albas »

Hi all,

I have put forward a formal request for the Western to update their website to include all the candidates and to ensure that anyone who is seeking information about each candidate's priorities (it was a very good read) can get it!

Have a great day and remember to vote on Saturday November 15th (at the Penticton Trade and Convention Centre or Princess Margaret School)!

sincerely,

Dan Albas

jacksevy

Post by jacksevy »

Outstanding Candidates
The 3 All-Candidates meetings in October were excellent. Most of those running have impressive histories of community and professional service, which speaks well to their willingness to give. Still, that evening I found their statements falling rather neatly into 4 broad categories: answers and non-answers, fluff and facts.
Several of our prospective leaders were more consistently direct in their answers, and had a more solid grasp of relevant, constructive facts. Those are the people I will vote for.
At the top of my list are Gary Leaman, Dan Albas, and Tracy St. Claire. These three demonstrated a clarity of thought and surprising breadth of pertinent knowledge that portends well for the safe prosperity of our community. Each of them demonstrated the attitudes and skills of a successful team leader, both that evening and in their past accomplishments.
Then there is vision. “Tax and spend” leaves nations with a legacy of impressive but run-down old buildings and memories. As we enter what may be several years of recession/depression, Penticton is saddled with a treacherous debt load. We need a vision of courtesy, foresight and thrift in our city government and school board – to direct us through dangerous waters without weighing down our children with indebted servitude.
If my vote selected the whole slate, it would be Gary Leaman for mayor; Dan Albas, Crystal Froese, Andrew Jacobeit, Tom Johnson, and Judy Sentes for council; Larry Little, Tracy St. Claire, Walter Huebert for School Board.
I suggest that each voter evaluate all candidates on the basis of answers, non-answers, fluff, facts and vision.
fixit

Post by fixit »

The forums provide some opportunity for the candidates to present themselves to the electorate. However, I've found that while some people are very good at thinking on their feet, and at presenting themselves to the public, others who do not shine at a forum may still be really good at thinking deeply about issues, figuring out where to go for good information, listening closely to others, making tough but unpopular decisions, and respecting those with whom they must work to get the job done.

We need to know as much as possible about the issues we think are important. That's the only way we can assess which candidates have done their homework, which are willing to admit they need more information, and which are simply telling us what they think we want to hear.
Dan Albas

Post by Dan Albas »

Best of luck to all the candidates in tomorrow's election!

It's been a long camapign, so special thanks to all who have put their name forward, all the understanding spouses & family and most especially all the volunteers!

Special thanks to Castanet.net and its moderators who made sure we were all nice!

Democracy is all about choice and I believe that Penticton is getting democracy in spades- look no further than Castanet.net!

sincerely,

Dan Albas

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Has anyone heard what the percentage of voter turnout in Penticton was?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

According to the city website, they haven't figured it out yet.

It's at the bottom of the page.

http://www.penticton.ca/city/city_clerk ... efault.asp
Dan Albas

Post by Dan Albas »

Dear Penticton residents,

Thank you for electing me. I am humbled and honoured to serve as one of your city councillors. Together we can work towards a safer and more affordable community; a great place to build a business, raise a family or retire.

As your councilor:

I will be fiscally responsible.
I will listen to you.
I will be approachable and open minded.
I will encourage more citizen involvement in City Hall.
I will work tirelessly on public safety issues.
and most importantly-

I will work on your behalf!

If you haven't visited my website, please take a look at http://www.DanAlbas.com . I hope you find it helpful in giving you a snapshot of who I am and what I hope to accomplish now that I am elected as a Penticton city councillor.

If you have ideas or suggestions please feel free to contact me directly at (250) 486-2199 or at [email protected]

sincerely,

Dan Albas, City Councillor-Elect

P.S. Thank you Penticton! I'll do you proud!
P.P.S. Special thanks to my campaign team- I have never encountered such a tremendous mixture of energy, enthusaism and team spirit!
P.P.P.S. Thanks to my whole family who have put up with a lot over the last few months!

Return to “Penticton”