Elva Webber - Council Candidate

Bestside
Guru

Elva Webber - Made a Good Run For Council

Post by Bestside »

Congratulations on showing up for Westbank Elva.
You were passionate and made a difference, just a tad short.

You learned some things about Westbank history that you did not know before.
It seems, likely only to me, that living close to Kelowna did not serve Westbank well in that "home" was taken for granted.

That is something that could very well happen with a new name of "West Kelowna".
People will have to be vigilant to be sure our new municipality always strives to keep it's separate identity. It could be hard to do with the namesake elephant next door.

I hope you continue to compile the history and work to make Westbank a vibrant place that people will cherish.
That will go far to keep our entire municipality separate and "at home".
There will always be a Westbank!
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Elva Webber - Council Candidate

Post by occasional thoughts »

While acknowledging our differences on the naming issue, way to go Elva. I really liked everything about you. Keep involved, one day one of the "Westbank" councillors will retire, and there you'll be! Maybe Coun. Zanon will mentor you for a future run.
Ewebber

Post by Ewebber »

Thanks Rob I hope you have a good holiday.
Elva
Ewebber

Post by Ewebber »

Thank you Bestside
Elva
brightstar
Fledgling

Post by brightstar »

Mrs. Webber,

I hope that tomorrow you will begin to lead your group of Westbankers in accepting West Kelowna as the winner. Rumours are flying that you and your people are planning to fight the results. If you are who you claimed to be prior to the election, and if your word is good, then please, settle this division, help bring the community together, end the fighting....let us all move on under the new name. You will not lose your Westbank heritage, history doesn't just disappear like that. You have an opportunity now to build your legacy....endeavour to preserve the heritage of your area....not by fighting a war already fought, but by building a village that we all can be proud of....don't let the ignorance and hostility of some of your people taint the history of Westbank. Please Mrs. Webber, find it in yourself to be the bigger person....your people need a leader...someone who will take them down the right path.

Thank you.
1Westside
Fledgling

Post by 1Westside »

Really this is ridiculous, the vote is in and West Kelowna is the victor. If some people are involved in trying to cast aside the result that is and will likely be misspent energy. By referring to a group as "you people" or "your people" is demeaning and in no way constructive which is if I read your post correctly is the intent. You speak of building a village etc and that is all awesome to read and is certainly the hope I have.

Sadly some on both sides I will add, will never be happy with the result. Incorporation/Amalgamation is still debated and not necessarily accepted by those who lost on that issue.

Candidate Elva Webber ran on an issue that she believed in passionately and I applaud her for that. I don't know the lady but I will tell you that early on in the campaign I saw her on the side of hill approaching Westbank putting up a campaign sign. She made eye contact with me and waved, a wave that was warm and sincere.

She seems like a nice lady that got involved in the community she is proud of and is now kind of coming under attack for her beliefs. Lot's of rumor's may be circulating but they might just be that rumor so please maybe back off as I'm sure she could use some encouraging words from the other side in the true spirit of community not ones meant to tear her down.

I'm not here to defend her but to offer some perspective.
1Westside
Fledgling

Post by 1Westside »

Really this is ridiculous, the vote is in and West Kelowna is the victor. If some people are involved in trying to cast aside the result that is and will likely be misspent energy. By referring to a group as "you people" or "your people" is demeaning and in no way constructive which is if I read your post correctly is the intent. You speak of building a village etc and that is all awesome to read and is certainly the hope I have.

Sadly some on both sides I will add, will never be happy with the result. Incorporation/Amalgamation is still debated and not necessarily accepted by those who lost on that issue.

Candidate Elva Webber ran on an issue that she believed in passionately and I applaud her for that. I don't know the lady but I will tell you that early on in the campaign I saw her on the side of hill approaching Westbank putting up a campaign sign. She made eye contact with me and waved, a wave that was warm and sincere.

She seems like a nice lady that got involved in the community she is proud of and is now kind of coming under attack for her beliefs. Lot's of rumor's may be circulating but they might just be that rumor so please maybe back off as I'm sure she could use some encouraging words from the other side in the true spirit of community not ones meant to tear her down.

I'm not here to defend her but to offer some perspective.
Ewebber

Post by Ewebber »

brightstar
I don't have a group of Westbankers, the Westbankers are a person here a person there, they are not an organized group.
Please do not say some of my people, I have no control over the actions of others. There were no big meetings. people were doing what they wanted to do.
We did want the name to be Westbank [that some had in common]
If otheres are planning something now it is without my knowlege or consent.
You say my people need a leader, someone who will take them down the right path.
That is why I ran for council I hoped to help guide the commuinity for the next three years.
I want the best for us.
I did have some I think good ideas to help us along but I guess no one will know now because I am new at this and didn't have expereance, I got votes but not quite enough so I will trust others to be our guiding force. I still think council could use someone with common sense and openess in there and a different outlook. They are smart people, I am very logical and sometimes you need to look at something with pure logic and not with just numbers etc. to solve a problem.
And they need a little more life and smiles in there, brighten up and maybe more people would show up at those meetings.
I hope to go to some of them.
People wondered how I could say I would serve the whole area because of where I live, well ever one on council and mayor only live in one house in one part of the community and they seem to do that. It's sad that people just looked at the name issue and not at the other things I could bring to council with me.
If we ever sat down and talked I could explain how history is lost. You should study history and you will see how easy it is to rewrite or leave things out.
Talk to people from other countries and you will be shocked how many countires have had things in there history rewritten.
If you tell a story and leave part out you are rewriting it.
I love history and writing. Love books. Sorry off track.
Please read my post on the naming forum.
thanks have a good night Elva..
Ewebber

Post by Ewebber »

Westside Naming Referendum
by Ewebber on Today, 9:51 pm
Hi Adam and everyone else.
I have been sick with a bug so I haven't been keeping up on here.
I still just read a bit so hope I didn't miss too much.
I stick with what I said the name with the most votes is ok with me.
I will accept West Kelowna; I really did only want a chance to vote for Westbank.
I am sad that we had such a low turnout to vote for everything.
I want to get on with the day-to-day things of life, my folks are old and in need of more care soon, a dear old friend is having surgery [and who knows how that will turn out].
We need to get past the name thing and build a strong and kinder community.
People please this is too much, please for the betterment of us all.
There is a movie that says something like when people are at their worse they are at their best, not true on here. I have never seen or heard anything like this before.
Please stop and just make nice. For your own sake. For your health and peace of mind.
I think everyone had signs smashed and knocked down, several of mine were. What kind of person does that? I guess I have lived a sheltered life and I thank my folks for being kind and loving and being good role models.
I do love where I live, the whole place. I want the best for it, no matter what name we are.
If people continue to fight about it, know that I am not involved with it.
I just want to hug my husband who spent all day [with sore knees] removing and transporting signs. Al and my son-in-law have done the lion’s share of the signage.
I will just trust and pray that our new mayor and council have strength and wisdom in the coming three years to guide our community. I wish all of them and all of you the best.
Adam there was no budget for a plane but it would have been a nice touch. Lol.
Elva..
fairweather
Board Meister

Post by fairweather »

Elva - I didn't vote for you. I was unhappy with the naming fiasco, and it did seem to me that keeping the Westbank name was first and foremost in your mind.

But now - I want to thank you for your gracious acceptance of the new name which has been chosen. I would like you to know that I feel much better now, about where I live, and I expect I am not alone in that thinking. It will be a unifying force, for those of us who would have prefered amalgamation. For those who prefered incorporation, they got their way last summer. It really is quite fair, when you look at it this way, which I hope you will do, and remind others, who may be unhappy with the name.

You mentioned somewhere that you like books. Please consider writing one about the Westbank history. I believe everything happens for a reason. Maybe that's your calling at this time.

Good luck and God bless!
brightstar
Fledgling

Post by brightstar »

Thank you for your explanation Mrs. Webber. Perhaps I was misinformed. If it is true that you are accepting West Kelowna as our new name, then I applaud you. I mentioned that your people needed a leader who could take them down the right path....I was under the impression that you were the person heading up the Vote Westbank campaign and I apologize if this is incorrect. I just want this community to be united and I thought you could help make that happen by insipiring other Westbank supporters to do the same.

Best of luck to you in the future. I'm sure our community will benefit from your passion if you are to get involved in our other issues of importance in the years ahead.

Return to “Westside”