Do the JW's actually want me?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Jo
Slot 16

Re: Do the JW's actually want me?

Post by Jo »

Be polite and they will respect you and your wishes not to be preached to. I told them nicely that I really and truly was not religious and that I didn't want them to make any attempt to change my thinking. They were great about it. We chatted about cars, then they went on their way. Every so often they'd come back, but there was never another word about religion from them. I think they simply enjoyed having a nice chat when they were in the neighbourhood.

In the meantime, whatever discussion goes on about them in this thread, please keep it civilized. Some of the things being said make me cringe.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Once again, I feel left out because no JWs never approached my house.

I'd actually be interested in talking to them because I have no idea what's their religion is based on.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Jo wrote:Be polite and they will respect you and your wishes not to be preached to.

I concur. My JW post was joke. In reality, I have nice conversations with them. from my experience, JWs are some of the nicest people around.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

recedingglacier wrote:I concur. My JW post was joke. In reality, I have nice conversations with them. from my experience, JWs are some of the nicest people around.

Well, you can't convert people into your religion by being nasty to them.
Everybody knows it!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

CaptainAwesome wrote:Well, you can't convert people into your religion by being nasty to them.
Everybody knows it!

Some would disagree with you. http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/artic ... E_ID=26672
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

recedingglacier wrote:
CaptainAwesome wrote:Well, you can't convert people into your religion by being nasty to them.
Everybody knows it!

Some would disagree with you. http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/artic ... E_ID=26672

I was speaking strictly about recruiting side of things:) Turf wars is another topic.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We just didn't answer the door. In early November I don't want to be "heating the outdoors" and decided not to get into the Thanks but no Thanks situation. In my work the clinicians are always aware to tell clients not to bring up religion, we aren't there to get into religion. The JW's seem to disregard this edict the most, mostly by leaving religious pamphlets in sight and referring to them in obvious ways. Gets annoying.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

I love JW. I'm an atheist myself, but I get the occasional JW mistakenly knocking on my door. I'm well-educated in the science and logic side of things, so I enjoy debating with them.

The Watchtower, a magazine published by a group of 'high class JWs', is apparently their higher authority. They seem unable to get past the concept that the publishers are probably wrong, so it makes it pretty hard. They also seem to think that reality proves God, but it really doesn't. The fact that there's a tree in my front yard does not prove that a higher power exists, regardless who tells me it does.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
sqrle

Post by sqrle »

They may not actualy want you. If you are showing a nasty heart condition, then you are deffinately not the person they are looking for. Their whole purpose is to seek out ones that are capable of listening without having to "consider 'rage bordering on assault' for future visitations." Come on. If you seriously do not want them coming to see you, just simply tell them to put you on their "Do not call" list. They will send an elder by once a year and see if you have changed your mind and might be willing to listen to their message of salvation and hope.

Struts 'N' Stuff Auto wrote:"I tell them, when they come up with a plan to Instigate real changes in society by real action, to call me and I will join forces with them. But don't come back until your changes are being implemented in society!"

By then it will be too late for you. The whole belief is based on the fact that they need not participate in the affairs of the world, ie politics. There is to be only one ruler here and it is not a "human" one, so any person in control will make mistakes, and not do a good job becuase of imperfections. The only time that you will ever see "real changes" taking place's is when God is sick of this world and ends this system.

recedingglacier wrote:When I see the JWs coming, I tell my young kids they are allowed to raise hell. Running in the house, jumping on the furniture, yelling at strangers, and even breaking dishes is okay for the next 5 minutes. Go nuts kids.

Then I open the door and invite them in for tea. Even though I express interest in what they have to say, they don't stay long.

WOW!! It sounds like you have the maturity of your children, maybe less.

In closing, it is not hard to simply say "Do not call on me, thanks you" :runforlife:
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr. Personality »

Ummm...Showing up the JWs by letting your kids trash your house?

Yeah...that'll show 'em...
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

sqrle wrote: The only time that you will ever see "real changes" taking place's is when God is sick of this world and ends this system.

Exactly when is that going to happen? The JW cult has been predicting the end of the world for over 100 years and hasn't got it right yet. Have fun waiting. I won't hold my breath, nor will I listen to anyone who comes to my door spouting this drivel.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

sqrle wrote:WOW!! It sounds like you have the maturity of your children, maybe less.

You know I was joking, right? I have nothing against JWs. I know few of them and they are good people.
- Douglas Murray
sqrle

Post by sqrle »

soulra wrote:Exactly when is that going to happen? The JW cult has been predicting the end of the world for over 100 years and hasn't got it right yet. Have fun waiting. I won't hold my breath, nor will I listen to anyone who comes to my door spouting this drivel.

You see, there has never been an indication as when exactly this is supposed to happen. It will happen at the appointed time. Until then, they will be waiting and knocking on your door. In the bible it says that the word of God will be preached in "all"(very importan word) of the earth, then the end will come (Mat, 24:14) So the day that they stop coming to your door, your better start to worry.
klnklnk

Post by klnklnk »

do some more checking sqrl . charles russel himself reckoned christ was on earth in his era and predicted the final battle in 1914 . the watchtower society has published numerous specific dates including 1925 and 1975 . unfortunately for jws copies still exist . they have however abandoned giving firm dates , just emphasises how loonie people can be . the challenge i have for endtimers is to define soon . its been 160 years already but hey for a bristlecone pine that's pretty soon .
sqrle

Post by sqrle »

Now , when you say that Charles Russel "reckoned" that christ was on the earth, was it in a spiritual or physical sense. The "final Battle" that you speak of is the battle that happened between satan and Jesus. That is when, they beleive that Jesus threw Satan out of Heaven to the earth. What happened in 1914, WW1. I know nothing about the dates that you mention, 1925 & 1975. I will look into that a bit more.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”