Campbell has to go..

BC's provincial election and STV referendum takes place Tuesday May 12th.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Re: Campbell has to go..

Post by NAB »

Ya know, I cannot believe this guy is so thick that he cannot see his enviro/carbon tax in BC cash grab fixation will have absolutely no effect on the global environment, either for us, our children, or our grandchildren and beyond. So assuming he is not "thick", then he is hell bent on conning us to to get more dollars from us and try and retain power in the process.

Scammer!

Nab

Premier announces tax deferrals for homeowners
Assessments to be kept at 2007 levels, Campbell says
Les Leyne, Times Colonist
Published: Saturday, November 01, 2008
WHISTLER - Premier Gordon Campbell announced four more measures today at the B.C. Liberal Party convention to protect people from the impact of the economic crisis.

The moves are designed for homeowners and seniors facing mandatory conversions of their RRSPs into annuities.

The government is going to fix the assessed value of property in B.C. at 2007 levels, rather than the figures calculated for 2008. The decision will have the effect of lowering the officially assessed values from what they might have been at July 1, 2008.

Assessments are done every July 1, but the housing market slumped sharply after the 2008 assessment was completed. Relying on the this year's assessment would have meant homeowners would be getting assessment statements early next year that were far higher than the real market value of their homes.

The move is expected to avoid a deluge of appeals from owners who think the assessed value is too high.

As well, property owners who can't afford their taxes will be able to defer the bill for up to two years, an option formerly available only to people over 55.

"We're saying that if you're in a tough financial time right now and you just can't make the ends meet on your property tax, you can have a deferral for a year or two years ... as long as you have a 15 per cent equity in your home," Campbell told 1,050 party members at the convention, held at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler.

The effective loan will be at the prime rate, he added.

Campbell said he will also advocate in Ottawa next week for a federal-provincial conference devoted to the idea of eliminating the mandatory conversion of retirement savings to income funds at age 71.

People reaching 71 now are being forced to convert their RRSPs after historic drops in value over the past few months.

As well, B.C. will be protecting RRSP deposits in banks from creditors, as such funds deposited with insurance companies already are.

Campbell said there are more moves to come in the weeks ahead as the economic crisis becomes the dominant item on the provincial agenda.

New Democrats support the RRSP measure, but said Campbell was scrambling to do damage control.

"This is take two," NDP house leader Mike Farnworth said, referring to Campbell's Oct. 22 announcements of tax breaks and temporary ferry-fare cuts. He said the premier's earlier speech clearly "didn't resonate with the voters" and forced Campbell to "scramble to repair his image" after the Liberals lost two byelections to the NDP Wednesday.

The Opposition will remain focused on homelessness, education and student debt load, he said.

NDP finance critic Bruce Ralston said the four "policy wonk points" need much more elaboration.

Much of Campbell's high-octane, partisan speech was an enthusiastic denunciation of the NDP, with ominous warnings about the decision to be made at the election next May.

"It took seven years to fill up the debt hole the NDP dug and we're not going to start digging again," he said, in the course of multiple standing ovations.

Campbell also confronted skepticism in his own party about the carbon tax, insisting it is the right thing to do for future generations.

Organizers cued live video of Campbell's newborn grandson to show on the seven big screens in the hall as he urged delegates to think of future generations.
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

.. snake oil salesman ol' Gordie is....
Chill
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Nabcom wrote:Ya know, I cannot believe this guy is so thick that he cannot see his enviro/carbon tax in BC cash grab fixation will have absolutely no effect on the global environment, either for us, our children, or our grandchildren and beyond. So assuming he is not "thick", then he is hell bent on conning us to to get more dollars from us and try and retain power in the process.

While giving tax incentives to the real big polluters and selling control of our forests, streams and mineral resources to foreign corporate interests. The real scary thing is there is a very good chance the people of this province will re-elect him for a third term.

Give me a break :sleepdeprived:
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Then again...when exactly was that wonderful magic time when people were actually happy with the gov't? Nevah!
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

CaptainAwesome wrote:Then again...when exactly was that wonderful magic time when people were actually happy with the gov't? Nevah!

My dad was happy when Trudeau was the PM...
My father-in-law is happy with his current Governor (Sarah Palin).
It happens all the time - all over the political spectrum.
Last edited by Glacier on Nov 3rd, 2008, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

CaptainAwesome wrote:Then again...when exactly was that wonderful magic time when people were actually happy with the gov't? Nevah!

The only magic here is with smoke & dull mirrors. But for everyone to happy that would take one very big crop of mushrooms.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I wonder how Campbell and his idiots feel now about Bill 29. They cost the taxpayers 75 million dollars and we didn't get one minutes work for it. Another brilliant move I would say. It should be taken out of the raises they gave themselves.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Gordo, you are sooooo gone ....;-) If you think you can turn your back on the majority of the people elsewhere in this province just so your fat cat friends in the lower mainland can prosper even more, you are missing the fast cat boat big time...

NDP widen lead over ruling Liberals
Gordon Campbell's televised speech on economic issues didn't put the party back on top
Jonathan Fowlie, Vancouver Sun
Published: Friday, November 14, 2008
VICTORIA -- With fewer than six months to go before the next provincial election, B.C.'s New Democratic Party has expanded its narrow lead over Premier Gordon Campbell's Liberals, a new poll has found.

Conducted online by Angus Reid Strategies, the poll puts the NDP five points ahead of the ruling Liberals, who as recently as the spring had been holding onto a steady double-digit lead in a variety of surveys.

Angus Reid data show that lead disappeared in late summer -- after the introduction of the carbon tax and the announcement of pay increases for public service executives -- with the NDP gaining a three-point lead in an Angus Reid poll in late August.

Many observers expected Campbell would regain the upper hand, however, with his recent focus on the economy.

Campbell has tried to gain centre-stage on economic issues by delivering a televised 10-point plan in prime-time last month and by rolling out a freeze on property assessments during his party's convention in Whistler.

Campbell has also recalled the legislature for this coming Thursday to deal with economic issues, and his party has launched an aggressive campaign to cast NDP leader Carole James as a dangerous choice in light of the current global economic crisis.

On Friday, Angus Reid Strategies vice president Mario Canseco said the new poll shows these moves have not been enough to regain the lead.

In the poll, the NDP got 44 per cent support compared to 39 per cent who supported the Liberals. Eleven per cent said they support the Green Party.

Conducted online among 802 British Columbians between Nov. 6 and Nov. 11, the poll is considered accurate to within +/- 3.5 per cent, 19 times out of 20.

"I think the Liberals ... basically thought after they came out with this economic statement they were going to look a little bit better -- people were going to think about it twice and go this is not the time for something radical to happen in the government," said Canseco.

"The way the electorate is relating to Campbell, it is going to take more than a couple of gestures to turn them around."

Canseco said people appear shy to support the Liberals over a feeling Campbell doesn't understand the problems of regular people, and that he is not believable.

In the poll, only 21 per cent of people said they thought Campbell was "honest and trustworthy," and 27 per cent said he "generally agrees with you on issues you care about."

"These are terrible numbers for someone who is running for a third term," said Canseco, adding that after two terms in power a leader should have much stronger support in these key areas.

When it comes to the premier people prefer, Campbell gets 34 per cent support, while James gets 32 per cent.

"James clearly has some leeway to go out to the electorate and say you don't like Campbell, give us a shot," said Canseco.

Canseco added, however, the poll clearly shows people think Campbell can manage the economy much better than James. Forty one per cent of people said they think Campbell can manage the economy effectively, while only 18 per cent said the same of James.

"Campbell needs to sit down and talk about economic stability and whether we should allow the NDP to run the show again," said Canseco.

On Friday, Campbell dismissed the poll results, saying he thinks it is still too early to be putting stock into any polls.

He added, however, that he hopes people who do think the NDP are the better choice should look closely at their stance on the economy.

"Maybe now people will start paying attention to what their economic agenda is, which will cost our province thousands and thousands of jobs and I think create all kinds of uncertainty at a time when that's the last thing we can possibly afford," he said.

It was an invitation James welcomed openly.

"I'm quite happy to have that debate with Gordon Campbell because it's pretty clear he's going to run on the past and I'm going to run on looking to the future," she said.

"I believe when it comes to the economy, you need to have a balanced approach. You need to keep a competitive business climate -- I've been clear about that since I was elected leader -- and you also have to understand the economy is there to benefit the people of this province," she added, saying she feels Campbell has not done enough to help people throughout the province.

"That's the difference between Gordon Campbell and myself."
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Nabcom wrote:Gordo, you are sooooo gone ....;-) If you think you can turn your back on the majority of the people elsewhere in this province just so your fat cat friends in the lower mainland can prosper even more, you are missing the fast cat boat big time...

I wish Nabs. You just watch. It doesn't matter what happens, complacency will rule the day. This spring, a minority will re-elect Herr Campbell and he will proudly proclaim "The people of BC have spoken".

You and me, behind the fence, let's go puke together.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Gov't tax cuts 'just trying to buy votes'

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/ ... 15e5d10072

""B.C. taxpayers will have an extra $70 to spend next year, thanks to a B.C. government economic-stimulation package.

Legislation introduced yesterday in Victoria -- the opening day of a brief session -- accelerates an income-tax cut that Finance Minister Colin Hansen said will put $144 million back in people's pockets next spring.

That, he said, will amount to an extra $70 for most B.C. taxpayers.""

(Note the comments below the article).

$70.00 in the "average" taxpayers pocket NEXT YEAR to "stimulate" the economy. What a joke. Mosty people won't even see it until after the election anyway, if they even recognize it at all.

By my calculations that's almost exactly what the Carbon Tax will extract from the "average" gasoline user next year. Carbon taxes on the other things, increased Carbon Tax driven living costs, as well as increased electricity rates, are on top of that. "Stimulation of the economy" indeed. It doesn't even offset our increased living costs! 5 or 6 dollars a month, or $1.35 a week - won't even buy one decent coffee a week.

I am amazed how Gordo and Gang can make such flaky and misleading announcements and keep a straight face LOL. What kind of fools do they think live in this province that they think they can insult our intelligence in this way?

Nab
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Nabcom wrote:""B.C. taxpayers will have an extra $70 to spend next year, thanks to a B.C. government economic-stimulation package.

Legislation introduced yesterday in Victoria -- the opening day of a brief session -- accelerates an income-tax cut that Finance Minister Colin Hansen said will put $144 million back in people's pockets next spring.

That, he said, will amount to an extra $70 for most B.C. taxpayers.""

Nab

That's almost $2.70 every paycheque ! Wow !!!
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Nabcom wrote: I am amazed how Gordo and Gang can make such flaky and misleading announcements and keep a straight face LOL. What kind of fools do they think live in this province that they think they can insult our intelligence in this way?

Nab

This is exactly how they got elected in the first place. They promised tax cuts (which were almost as insignificant as these) and said they would not have to cut services to deliver their promise (which was a lie). They think the kind of fools who elected them then will elect them again - and I'm not yet convinced they're wrong about that.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Smurf wrote:I wonder how Campbell and his idiots feel now about Bill 29. They cost the taxpayers 75 million dollars and we didn't get one minutes work for it. Another brilliant move I would say. It should be taken out of the raises they gave themselves.

Speaking of illegal Bill 29....thanks Smurf....I just got a phone call from the BCGEU today. Seems the arbritator in deciding who gets what for the economic damage wreaked by illegal Bill 29 made a decision awhile back. It goes like this, a lump sum was awarded to the unions to be divided up between the claimants, and those were supposed to be only the people who actually LOST their job completely. That is how it was initially laid out to me over the phone and boy, was I mad. Those who merely got cut back in hours, and took about 15 minutes to file a grievance were told they got nothing.
Last edited by Queen K on Dec 10th, 2008, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Mair unloads on power boss
Published: December 02, 2008 11:00 PM

This is in response to a recent letter from provincial energy minister Richard Neufeld concerning my opinions about the future of power production in B.C.

It has been forbidden by Mr. Neufeld’s government to bring on new sources of energy with that privilege now given exclusively to the private sector

B.C. Hydro’s transmission lines have been taken and given to a new Crown Corporation British Columbia Transmission Corporation (BCTC). In view of the Campbell government’s policy that power will be created and sold through the private sector I predict that as sure as God made little green apples, the government will, if re-elected, sell it to a private corporation.

This leaves BC Hydro with its present dams and Burrard Thermal, all of which must be maintained, from which it must pay the new contracts with the private sector as well as service nearly $7 billion dollars capital debt most of which is held or guaranteed by the taxpayers of BC.

Can BC Hydro survive this? We don’t think so and we are supported by expert opinion. Mr. Neufeld, through Mark Jaccard, criticizes the views of Dr John Calvert and Dr Marvin Schaffer oppose Mr. Neufeld’s policies.

These distinguished scientists are independent experts, and professors at Simon Fraser University and BCIT respectively, while Mr. Jaccard is under contract to the government of BC.

Mr. Neufeld makes the amazing statement that BC Hydro is protected by legislation “in perpetuity!” Doesn’t Mr. Neufeld know that there is no such thing as perpetual legislation and that parliament (the Legislature) is supreme?

If he doesn’t understand the workings of parliamentary democracy any better than this he ought not to be an MLA much less a minister.

Let me ask Mr. Neufeld this. If damming and diverting the rivers and streams in British Columbia is such a good idea (and it isn’t) why isn’t BC Hydro doing it so British Columbians make the money instead of giving it all to shareholders in large corporations like Ledcor and General Electric?
As to 1100 jobs in the wind energy sector, these are all short term construction jobs – once completed a computer and a watchman will suffice to run the operation.

Here is the nub of the matter. As it stands, all new power will be created by private companies and will create huge environmental damage as one can easily see by going to www.saveourrivers.ca and looking at the award winning Damien Gillis’ Powerplay videos.

We the people of BC own our system of public power so that all profits (often approaching $1 billion a year) go into the BC treasury for schools and hospitals.

Under the Campbell government policy, all profits will go to shareholders of large corporations.
The bottom line is we will be exporting our environment, our power, our water, and all profits there from out of province. Is this is how we want our resources managed?

Finally, Mr. Neufeld seems to think that the public must reject ideas and philosophies that don’t spring from the BC Liberal Party or The Fraser Institute and that if an idea comes from his notion of “the left” that it must therefore be rejected.

The minister is in a 30-year time warp, hung in a political scene of long ago. This debate is not a left/right debate but rather about what sort of a province we will have.

We have a marvelous power system which we, the citizens own. As owners we get both the benefit of lower rates than almost anywhere in the world and the profits our company, BC Hydro, makes and whose policies we control through the ballot box.

The Save Our Rivers Society supports public ownership of the generating, transmission and selling of power. The Save Our Rivers Society will fight to save this heritage until the last ballot is cast on May 12, 2009, the date of the next provincial election.

Rafe Mair,
Vancouver, B.C.
netsurfer

Post by netsurfer »

I don't recall where I read it but the article was referencing most of the Canadian premiers and referred to Campbell as "that flakey Premier Gordon Campbell from British Columbia".

I thouight the description suited him to a "T" and made me feel so proud. :127:

Return to “B.C. Provincial Election 2009”