Kelowna - Now and Then

A potpourri of off-topics.
BoB76
Guru

Re: Kelowna - Now and Then

Post by BoB76 »

onestop67 wrote:Gary/Paul, my name is Paul...I believe he is no longer with us. He would actually be in his 50's if he is/was still alive.

I knew him well. Last time I saw him was at Creekside (then Adel's) pub in the late 80's.

He would cover 100km a day on his rickety old bike!!!

There is a thread about Gary/Paul somewhere on here. He used to chuck rocks at cars and spit when he talked. I don't think he would be that old. I would be surprised if he would be 45.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

BoB76 wrote:
onestop67 wrote:Gary/Paul, my name is Paul...I believe he is no longer with us. He would actually be in his 50's if he is/was still alive.

I knew him well. Last time I saw him was at Creekside (then Adel's) pub in the late 80's.

There is a thread about Gary/Paul somewhere on here. He used to chuck rocks at cars and spit when he talked. I don't think he would be that old. I would be surprised if he would be 45.

He was some years older than me. 45? Maybe.

He used to come by OKM and bug us in the smoke pit.

In the winter all the slobber would freeze to his chin!!!
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

onestop67 wrote:
BoB76 wrote:

He was some years older than me. 45? Maybe.

He used to come by OKM and bug us in the smoke pit.

In the winter all the slobber would freeze to his chin!!!

+
Don't tell me that you are actually an OKM kid.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

Remember when OKM had stairs down to the back field, and no elevater.
And when you had to walk outside to get to shop class.
Party on OKM!
Every Relationship Is Give & Give
tjc

Post by tjc »

anyone remember dominion radio and television or hannigans burgers
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

To tjc - hi. To look for references to Hannigan's just go to the top of this thread and count down to 7 posts. Crash99 supplied the other Kelowna, Remember when...thread link.

It was fantastic to read.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
NessieOggy

Post by NessieOggy »

Cheers for the great thread(s).... brought back a lot of memories! :)
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I used to sell shoes at Fumerton's - and also at Copp, The Shoe Man, and Fashion Shoes - all on Bernard.

When I worked at Fumerton's, all the main floor was the retail area and everything upstairs was storage. I was sent upstairs to clean up and sort old stock once and it was amazing what was up there! I swear, they hadn't thrown anything away in 50 years!!! Lots of collectible stuff now. Frank Fumerton was a wonderful man.

At Copp's, I worked for Lawrence Would and his SIL, Rose Would, who was married to Lawrence's brother, Art. We had a shoe repair business in the back behind a one-way mirror, which is where we took our lunch and coffee breaks. I don't remember the name of the shoe repair guy.

Both Fumerton's and Copp's were super places to work - very family oriented and the owners really cared about their employees and their families. At Fashion Shoes, it was just a job. I don't remember anything great about Fashion Shoes.

Great memories ... will add more if and when I think of them.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
NessieOggy

Post by NessieOggy »

The 2 threads have truly been a blast back down memory lane!! grammafreddy, I remember Fumerton's well. Do you recall Bobbi's or Sally's on Bernard? There were 2 Chinese food restaurants that were side by side, but I don't recall their names... one may have been the Lotus?

Here are a couple of things that I don't think have been mentioned....

- Noca Milk
- McGavin's Bakery
- The stage near the bridge in City Park
- The mini golf that was at the hotel at the corner of Highways 97 & 33 (4 Season's?)
- When Spall road didn't go through and ended just before the railroad tracks. I recall an old house there and on the opposite field a veterinarian's office.
SpazmoTheMagnificent
Übergod

Post by SpazmoTheMagnificent »

Oh God...Memories...they take me back...
Remember when old Jim Osterton used to be the sole fireman at the firehall when it was at the corner of Main and Goodwin? And that firehall dag named "Bo"...you know, the dog that used to continuously fart, and then roll over and have a seizure...lol...the youngins used to laugh so hard at old Bo...peeing on himself while he seized. And who could forget Mr. Judd "Plaid" Humbolt...owner of Humbolt motors, giving away live turkeys on thanksgiving to everyone via a catapolt on Grifith street...right across from the dealership. Man I used to think to myself "boy those turkeys are really flyin". Good times...good times. Oh oh...and Crazy Ms. Johnson...who could forget her...wearing a fur coat all summer long everytime she left home...I remember her picking up some cheeios and mustard at Mr. Pinkertons market on 8th...cuz thats the way she liked um. Damn those memories are absolutly priceless.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

SpazmoTheMagnificent wrote:Oh God...Memories...they take me back...
Remember when old Jim Osterton used to be the sole fireman at the firehall when it was at the corner of Main and Goodwin? And that firehall dag named "Bo"...you know, the dog that used to continuously fart, and then roll over and have a seizure...lol...the youngins used to laugh so hard at old Bo...peeing on himself while he seized. And who could forget Mr. Judd "Plaid" Humbolt...owner of Humbolt motors, giving away live turkeys on thanksgiving to everyone via a catapolt on Grifith street...right across from the dealership. Man I used to think to myself "boy those turkeys are really flyin". Good times...good times. Oh oh...and Crazy Ms. Johnson...who could forget her...wearing a fur coat all summer long everytime she left home...I remember her picking up some cheeios and mustard at Mr. Pinkertons market on 8th...cuz thats the way she liked um. Damn those memories are absolutly priceless.

The above is not how it all goes and you know it.

Just cuz you characterize Kelowna as an armpit doesn't mean you have to be the hair in it. :dyinglaughing:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
hvacguy

Post by hvacguy »

POP SHOPPE there is one from the younger years, and how about when Boston pizza was at the Capri mall where de dutch is now
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

hvacguy wrote:POP SHOPPE there is one from the younger years, and how about when Boston pizza was at the Capri mall where de dutch is now

Pop shoppe was behind Prospera Credit Union on the hwy. Pizza Patio was where De Dutch is now. BP used to be where the Bohemian Bagel Cafe is on Bernard.
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

I was only 4 but i remember when the rail yard was where Sunset Drive is today and how the main track used to curl around past the train station and continue paralell to Clement till it joined up again. I also remember when the old KSS was still operating as a school and when they were still building Glenmore. I dont remember much before 1998.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

BoB76 wrote:
hvacguy wrote:POP SHOPPE there is one from the younger years, and how about when Boston pizza was at the Capri mall where de dutch is now

Pop shoppe was behind Prospera Credit Union on the hwy. Pizza Patio was where De Dutch is now. BP used to be where the Bohemian Bagel Cafe is on Bernard.

I was at Zeller's today and saw Pop Shoppe pop there.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “Grab Bag”