Who invented Christianity?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
aspertame

Re: Who invented Christianity?

Post by aspertame »

i merely took your paragraph and deleted some of the main facts to present what i thought looked humorous. i didn't even add anything to what you said.
so you see, it sucks when other people alter what words you've written. so, in that same way, people go around altering and diminishing the quality of some beneficial literature that is out there to make humanity stronger, more enlightened and intelligent.
I'm horrible at making babies and welding. I'm working on my welding.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Alright, enough with the back and forth guys and back to topic.

I started this thread to have a discussion on the origins of Christianity. This is a religion that was put together by mann using foundations from other religions and then actually mass marketed to the people. How excatly did that happen?

Also it interests me that the books of the bible that made the cut were chosen by man. There are a number of books that of course did not make the cut. I have not watched the miniseries yet but intend to very soon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banned_from_the_Bible
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banned_from_the_Bible_II
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

aspertame wrote: ... it sucks when other people alter what words you've written. so, in that same way, people go around altering and diminishing the quality of some beneficial literature that is out there to make humanity stronger, more enlightened and intelligent.

Like the Bible ??? - which has been written and re-written, interpreted and re-interpreted and altered for political purpose countless times.
aspertame

Post by aspertame »

steven lloyd wrote:
aspertame wrote: ... it sucks when other people alter what words you've written. so, in that same way, people go around altering and diminishing the quality of some beneficial literature that is out there to make humanity stronger, more enlightened and intelligent.

Like the Bible ??? - which has been written and re-written, interpreted and re-interpreted and altered for political purpose countless times.

i agree with you 100%, the interpretations can be very obnoxious.
i read 1 story in 1 bible 1 time about a witty conversation Jesus was having with some... dude. the impression i got from Jesus' retort was that he was pointing out this guys ignorance. however in another "version" of the bible, the same story made it sound as if Jesus was exalting this guy for his keen understanding.
i myself am not religious. however i like to read the stuff that all the fuss and ado is about. i've noticed with the bible, if you read it and you're a happy person then you tend to extract the happy things out of it. if you're a sad or mad person, you tend to extract mad, sad, or depressing features out of it.
but to be perfectly honest with you, i have no idea who invented christianity. i don't think anyone will ever know, and i do think it's an impossibility to figure it out.
one thing i do know is that every person on earth who is a professional at what he or she does has a story to tell about how they got to where they are in life. and the whole idea behind the bible was to take record of what it took for generations upon generations of israelites to get where they got to until this jesus guy came along.
judaism was originally a very secretive hush hush faith. not so many people outside of the nation could quite embrace the laws the way the israelis did. reading, working, living, eating, drinking and breathing God is all that every last one of them ever did for their entire lives, and that still wasn't good enough for God.
but then you get this jesus guy coming along being a little different, being more open about faith, being more flexible with the laws. in the height of his popularity he was chilling with some unsavory people such as tax collectors and hookers. this was unacceptable behaviour; because if he was willing to share insight and be tolerant of such degenerates, what if he goes around teaching dirty rotten no good gentiles. unanimously amongst the masses of people it was determined that he was basically being too much of a loud mouth and most certainly must be put to death.

the catch.

history has proven that the sons of mighty and powerful men have been not so worthy to bear the fathers name. sons of mighty men tend to ruin their fathers fortune, and waste it after death. the bible continuously goes on and on about it. alexander the greats successors weren't quite as successful as he. hell, the owner of the company i work for his son is a drug addict loser. do you see so many children of celebrities outdoing daddy? not so often i bet. why this happens who knows, it's an unexplainable anomoly.
here's what i'm getting at; jesus came along with the message that he is the son of God. well, if you're the son of God that means you're deeming yourself equal to God. he went around performing all these miracles that i'm sure came with his messianic aspirations, but it was his words that really caught the peoples attention. which in turn made the people believe more and more and more (it still does to this day).
you kill the guy and his disciples start going out amongst the nations and the roman empire spreading the word about the son of God. everyone listens about him and reads about him while the israelites sit in terror knowing that they killed the dude that these people are begining to glorify as God. and yes, the israelites had to endure a whole load of cow manure over the jesus is the messiah ignominy.
but if jesus is God everyone says, then that means he's the "father". i've already covered the ill fated accomplishments of the children to the all power father or king. jesus came saying be good to one another, love one another, don't lie cheat or steal... follow the ten commandments, etc, etc. and so inevitably you get the church, and it's corruptions, and it's bigotry, and it's abuses. abuses as far as the mind can stretch, all in the name of jesus, the father they are all falling short of.
the bible is essentially the carrot tied to the turtle (the believer being the turtle). people read it, see it, feel it, but they don't quite understand what they're reading, seeing or feeling. so it keeps them entertained and ready to fall on it's words at any second. what they don't understand is that the carrot is attached to them, and if they just take a second to figure out that they've been lead to believe they can catch something that is perfectly out of their read, they'll find it has been attached to themselves the whole time.
for all i know, the bible could be a fabrication by some very very smart and crafty men..... or maybe it is?

one thing i do know is that EVERYTHING is relative.
I'm horrible at making babies and welding. I'm working on my welding.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

aspertame wrote: one thing i do know is that EVERYTHING is relative.

LOL Good post aspertame

(although I do believe a discussion on the origins of Christianity is still possible)

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”