Religion is Linked to Immoral Behavior in New Study

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Religion is Linked to Immoral Behavior in New Study

Post by I Think »

You seem not to be able to understand. On each of two separate occasions, and for several days each, I was near two mormon groups. On the first occasion there were locals with kids, and aproximately 4 mormon families with about 6 or seven pre teen kids. On the first day, I observed that the mormon kids from SLC who were bored out of their skulls, I organized a game of 'Simon says'. on the second day, so as to be inclusive of the local kids who did not speak english, I organized games that did not require any language skills, these games were 'tag, kickball and hide and seek'. On the second occasion at a different location I observed a bout 30 mormon families again from Utah, for several days, I did not organize any games with their kids. On the third occasion in St George Utah, I observed a group (i think they were mormon) for several hours.
During these occasions I observed that the adults did not spend much time with the kids, nor did they appear to be playing with the kids. What is there about the above that you dont understand.
I am not going to repeat myself.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

Nibs, the link between all of these that you seem to not want to disclose is what you were doing that exposed you to so many mormon families and why you felt the need to organize games suddenly. Were you camping? Were you hosting some kind of "Mormon retreat"? I don't want you to repeat yourself... in fact that is the problem.. You aren't providing any information and you are repeating yourself. I don't know of anywhere except general conference or perhaps a family reunion where you would get 30 mormon families together without it being a church activity.

Please enlighten me because I am fascinated how you were able to get so many mormon families together when(I assume)you are not mormon.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Ned, I question your intellectual prowess, why specifically with reference to my words, would you think I caused groups of mormons to assemble? My name isnt smilth. Smell the coffee and dont try to make my words fit blanks of your own construction.
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

That's what I thought... you are hiding something. That's OK. My suspicions have been bourne out. Your statements don't hold up under a little scrutiny. Just curious why you are so unwilling to give more information. When you make a claim about my religion in order to make us look like some kind of poor parents that don't interact with our kids, I'm not going to sit here and say "you're right" when you are not.

couple of things I would like to point out. 1. Mormons don't travel in packs. 2. We don't go around announcing that we are LDS in social situations. 3. By very nature of our belief system we love our children and families. Are there exceptions? of course.

Now as to your statements. They don't hold true to my experience with fellow mormons, whether they be in Canada, Utah, California, europe, africa. So naturally I am curious as to how you met so many Mormons that, first of all, so readily identified themselves to someone who is anti religion and why you were with them while the parents were in some kind of study group? you are not being open about the discussion and I have every right to discredit you because of the negative perception you are trying to paint my religion with. Savvy?

I don't know who Smilth was and I have to make assumptions based on how little information you have provided. You can question my intellectual prowess all you want, doesn't bother me.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

The only statement I make, is that in my observation, those mormons that I have had the opportunity to observe dont take time to play with the kids. Dont waste your time trying to drag red herrings, prove me wrong, go play with your kids.
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

I play with my kids all the time thanks.
And thanks for confirming my suspicions.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

As you MAY have gathered I have no intention of telling you the circumstances/place (except St George Ut). But if I have made one Mormon think about playing with his kids, then the time I have spent here is not wasted.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Here's an update...
http://chronicle.com/temp/reprint.php?i ... d949ndm2k2

Phil Zuckerman is an associate professor of sociology at Pitzer College. This essay is adapted from his book Society Without God (New York University Press, 2008).

.....Just to be perfectly clear here: I am not arguing that the admirably high level of societal health in Scandinavia is directly caused by the low levels of religiosity. Although one could certainly make such a case — arguing that a minimal focus on God and the afterlife, and a stronger focus on solving problems of daily life in a rational, secular manner have led to positive, successful societal outcomes in Scandinavia — that is not the argument I wish to develop here. Rather, I simply wish to soberly counter the widely touted assertion that without religion, society is doomed....
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

soulra wrote:Here's an update...
http://chronicle.com/temp/reprint.php?i ... d949ndm2k2

Phil Zuckerman is an associate professor of sociology at Pitzer College. This essay is adapted from his book Society Without God (New York University Press, 2008).

.....Just to be perfectly clear here: I am not arguing that the admirably high level of societal health in Scandinavia is directly caused by the low levels of religiosity.

That's good, because its actually due directly to the fact they employ the political paradigm of social democracy and their level of societal health has absultuely nothing to do with any level of religiousity. You guys sure are getting desperate at this, aren't you? Why is this so important to you? Do you really think any person with faith is going to suddenly abandon (or even question) their faith because of your pitiful attempts at ridicule? What are you really trying to accomplish with this? What are you so threatened about?
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

Good point Stephen. As I pointed out earlier, scandinavia has one of the highest suicide rates in the world (especially in the winter). shall we link that to a lack of religiosity as well? Perhaps the ratio of blondes to brunettes has something to do with religion?

Desparate indeed.
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

nibs wrote:As you MAY have gathered I have no intention of telling you the circumstances/place (except St George Ut). But if I have made one Mormon think about playing with his kids, then the time I have spent here is not wasted.

The only thing you accomplished was making people suspicious of the validity of your "story". And that's fine... If all I have done here is exposed a person who will say anything to try and shed a negative light on religion.... my time here is not wasted.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

Interesting. Who conducted this survey? Of the 1,600 Canadians surveyed, how many identified as atheist vs. theist? What sort of limitations existed in the survey? Has it undergone any peer review process?
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Glacier wrote:Here is an interesting survey.

I have one too. It shows the negative correlation between IQ and religiosity.

And this is why...
Last edited by Mr Danksworth on Feb 18th, 2009, 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

pot...meet kettle

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”