I'm an Atheist

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
nolanrh
Übergod

I'm an Atheist

Post by nolanrh »

While my stance on God may be obvious to many of you, I've avoided directly stating it. I've been scared of how a clear declaration might impact the rest of my life. Would a future employer pass me over, would an administrations officer reject my application, or worst of all would I alienate friends and family?

Well, enough is enough. I'm an Atheist. I don't believe in any God. I did attend church as a child and I went to bible study. Though, I can't remember a time when I actually believed. I guess I just never picked it up. There was no Earth shattering moment where I exlaimed, “Holy crap, it's not real.” I was just never convinced.

As I've gotten older I see more and more of the negative impacts of religion on the world. Intelligent design proponents fighting to teach creationism along side evolution. The denial of foreign aid to medical organizations that teach family planning or practice abortion. The indoctrination of children in religious fundamentalism. I've come to the conclusion that it's my moral responsibility to speak up: There probably is no God

The universe is an amazing place. I've studied science and math and been consistently astounded by the beauty and complexity of the world around us. I've marveled at the theories that explain how everything came to be the way it is. The fact life exists on this planet in the face of such overwhelming odds is awesome. I am incredibly thankful that I had the opportunity to just exist, if even for the briefest blink. I'll admit that believing there is no great plan or an afterlife does take its toll sometimes, but the freedom to embrace what I believe is the truth is worth it.

Soooooo ya. I'm an Atheist.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Post by eyepop »

i believe in you.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: I'm an Atheist

Post by Captain Awesome »

If I don't believe in Jesus, do you think he stops believing in me?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Post by eyepop »

..what if He never did?
Skadie

Post by Skadie »

Im with you all the way!
NoOne
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NoOne »

nolanrh wrote: There probably is no God

nolanrh wrote:The universe is an amazing place. I've studied science and math and been consistently astounded by the beauty and complexity of the world around us. I've marveled at the theories that explain how everything came to be the way it is. The fact life exists on this planet in the face of such overwhelming odds is awesome. I am incredibly thankful that I had the opportunity to just exist, if even for the briefest blink. I'll admit that believing there is no great plan or an afterlife does take its toll sometimes, but the freedom to embrace what I believe is the truth is worth it.

sounds like you even doubt whether you are an atheist?

perhaps you are a NON-CREATIONIST?

if you believe in the complexity of the universe and the scientific design it follows, great. as long as you believe in something. if not life is boring and way too long.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

It just hit me.

I find it ironic that us atheists can really appreciate the size and beauty of the universe, nuclear power, DNA, molecules and atoms, infinite fields of stars and supernovas, space and time travel, infinite potential of our brains, black holes and sugar-powdered twinkies...

... yet we resist to believe there might be a higher being.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

So far, I have observed no evidence of a god. I have observed a lot of brainwashing on the subject.
I am also aware that many people have been murdered and tortured in the name of this god or that god.
We're lost but we're making good time.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

nibs wrote:So far, I have observed no evidence of a god. I have observed a lot of brainwashing on the subject.
I am also aware that many people have been murdered and tortured in the name of this god or that god.

Many people have also been murdered and tortured in the name of capitalist ideology (and other ideologies) and "freedom" - of course, there has been a lot of brainwashing on those subjects as well.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

nolanrh wrote: While my stance on God may be obvious to many of you, I've avoided directly stating it. I've been scared of how a clear declaration might impact the rest of my life. Would a future employer pass me over, would an administrations officer reject my application, or worst of all would I alienate friends and family?

Are you serious ? Have you really been concerned that people would care if you are an atheist or not an atheist ?

nolanrh wrote: As I've gotten older I see more and more of the negative impacts of religion on the world. Intelligent design proponents fighting to teach creationism along side evolution. The denial of foreign aid to medical organizations that teach family planning or practice abortion. The indoctrination of children in religious fundamentalism.

You do understand that religion, creationism, intelligent design and/or religious fundamentalism are all paradigms that are not necessarily mutually inclusive with belief in God. In fact, there are likely many people who do believe in some form of God while having nothing to do with religion, creationism, intelligent design and/or religious fundamentalism.

nolanrh wrote: I've come to the conclusion that it's my moral responsibility to speak up: There probably is no God

Why would it be your moral responsibility to criticize another person’s belief system when you’ve just demonstrated you have the clear capacity (as do all of us) to not even understand their belief system ?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Welcome to the club Nolanrh. I understand your hesitation to express your beliefs. I have lost contact with some relatives (Mennonites) due to coming out as an athiest so I do know how frustrating it can be. I now do not hesitate to share my experience with others. I firmly believe the world would be a much healthier place without religion (and nations and money but that's another thread). It will be a great time when religion is no longer a political entity and becomes a philosophical one. I wonder how athiest missionaries would go over so we can spread the good word. :dyinglaughing:
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

jennylives wrote:I wonder how athiest missionaries would go over so we can spread the good word. :dyinglaughing:

One step at a time: http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadi ... oe68JhRldA
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Kind gives "coming out" a whole new meaning.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

CaptainAwesome wrote:I find it ironic that us atheists can really appreciate ... sugar-powdered twinkies...

... yet we resist to believe there might be a higher being.

Most of the things you list all have scientific evidence supporting their existence. God doesn't. I don't resist believing in God. I just don't see enough evidence supporting its existence.
nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

steven lloyd wrote:Are you serious ? Have you really been concerned that people would care if you are an atheist or not an atheist ?

Try having a relationship with a Christian when you are openly Atheist and see how that goes. People do care. I'm lucky enough to be living in Canada rather than America but discrimination against Atheists does exist.
This is an American example but watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTRDRP2n4Sk&feature=related

steven lloyd wrote:You do understand that religion, creationism, intelligent design and/or religious fundamentalism are all paradigms that are not necessarily mutually inclusive with belief in God. In fact, there are likely many people who do believe in some form of God while having nothing to do with religion, creationism, intelligent design and/or religious fundamentalism.

You're right, for one I don't believe Buddhism has a god. I'm not saying no God implies no religion. However, God is a major premise in atleast the 2 largest religions in the world.

nolanrh wrote:Why would it be your moral responsibility to criticize another person’s belief system when you’ve just demonstrated you have the clear capacity (as do all of us) to not even understand their belief system ?

For the same reason I'm morally obligated to criticize racism, sexism, ageism, and even religous discrimination. Sure I may not completely understand the unique characteristics of everyones belief in God but I have made a reasonable effort to try.

My problem is faith. In this case, faith in God despite a lack of evidence. I recognize most people aren't fundamentalists. But its the moderate masses that make blind faith an acceptable thing in our world. They make it ok to just believe in something. This provides fundamentalists the justification of "faith" for their actions. If one must have complete faith in the 10 commandments or that homosexuality is an atrocity because they're both in the bible, how can we critize the literalist who murders someone for working on the sabbath because they're faith in the bible is that much stronger?

If a hypothetical organization existed that was based on a faith in the existance of unicorns and was responsible for doing nothing but good, I would still feel morally obligated to take the stance that unicorns do not exist.
Last edited by nolanrh on Jan 17th, 2009, 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”