I'm an Atheist

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: I'm an Atheist

Post by Corneliousrooster »

kccayenne wrote:
zzontar wrote:It's better to do something just to be good instead of out of fear, whether it be God or the law, but in reality, some people need one or the other or both to keep from swaying.

Kind of like how during Spring, Summer, & Fall people for the most part avoid being bugged by picking up their dog's poop off the sidewalks; yet during winter when the snow hides it, a significant number just leave it there to become a cumulative stinky, slimy, gross mess when we thaw? Whereas others have enough respect to pick it up at all times.

People are like that.

As soon as no one is looking, some take liberties while others remain genuine... nothing has changed.

Wow - what the???????

The belief in God is justified as a mechanism for people to do good for the greater benefit of society as a whole ie. picking up after dog droppings????

I was at the events center last weekend and someone smeared human droppings all over the stall and ajoining walls - we have laws and the notion of God's existence floating around and this kinda stuff still happens.

Some people just don't care about other people or consequences - has little to do with Gods or lack of - The only way belief of God would work as a deterrant is to root the belief in Fear.

Live in fear.... otherwise Chaos and Anarchy will rule the world
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

Corneliousrooster wrote:I was at the events center last weekend and someone smeared human droppings all over the stall and ajoining walls - we have laws and the notion of God's existence floating around and this kinda stuff still happens.

It's true... Hit Shappens.
nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

I've seen an issue brought up in a few different threads as well as here and I want to address it. It is often mentioned that some atheists are motivated out of fear of theism, religion or other beliefs in their posts. The evidence most cited is the aggressiveness and antagonistic nature of their writings. However, I want to propose an alternative explanation, some people simply like to troll.

In the case of religion it is particularly easy to get under someones skin because religious beliefs are considered so personal. Even when I make great effort to avoid striking these chords I still sometimes fail (See: Pink unicorns vs Belief in God comparison). It is no surprise that someone with malicious intent can stir the pot with great ease.

I believe some of these posters actually feel they are furthering their argument as they ridicule theists. However, I encourage the people who are riled by these posts to see them for what they are, not a serious attempt at intelligent discourse representative of the atheist community but rather a verbal rattling of your cage.
Last edited by nolanrh on Feb 15th, 2009, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

nolanrh wrote: I believe some of these posters actually feel they are furthering their argument as they ridicule theists. However, I encourage the people who are riled by these posts to see them for what they are, not a serious attempt at intelligent discord representative of the atheist community but rather a verbal rattling of your cage.

No worries Nolan. We are all well aware that there are a few posters here who have absolutely no interest or capacity for intelligent discussion on this subject. I wouldn’t necessarily suggest it is due to fear of theism or religion but it is fear of something – perhaps the realization they are unable to change the belief system of someone else (because theirs is obviously so much better ) and are threatened by that so that’s why they resort to ridicule. I know I’ve been guilty of using ridicule in political discussion and recognizing that I now try to abstain from continuing (I can’t say I’m perfect but I try). It’s amazing how much a person can still learn (even about themselves) when they decide to open themselves to continued learning – even those who think they already know it all.
LeeRichmond

Post by LeeRichmond »

My belief is that because this world is so complex and amazing that there must be a higher power. The higher power the bible and other religions preach dont interest me as all I believe is that this higher power would just want me to be a good person. Not perfect but someone who is in the pursuit of happiness but would try not to hurt anyone intentionally in that pursuit. Money and Control over people is exactly what we need to get rid of in order to have humanity generally think this way.
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

LeeRichmond wrote: ....someone who is in the pursuit of happiness but would try not to hurt anyone intentionally in that pursuit. Money and Control over people is exactly what we need to get rid of in order to have humanity generally think this way.

I don't have much argument with that, other than to point out that trade is inherent in almost all forms of nature. Human trade differs in that it is overly complex, and largely unnecessary for true survival as a species.
nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

LeeRichmond wrote:My belief is that because this world is so complex and amazing that there must be a higher power.

Wouldn't that higher power that you describe as capable of wanting you to be a good person be at least as complex and amazing as this world, and therefore by your reasoning there must be an EVEN HIGHER power...
ixler8
Board Meister

Post by ixler8 »

I'm a Seventh Day Horizontilist.
Don't worry ,about a thing.
cause, every little thing is gonna be alright.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

nolanrh wrote:
LeeRichmond wrote:My belief is that because this world is so complex and amazing that there must be a higher power.

Wouldn't that higher power that you describe as capable of wanting you to be a good person be at least as complex and amazing as this world, and therefore by your reasoning there must be an EVEN HIGHER power...

Interesting point... makes me think perhaps the higher power might be the one that's always been there, just as if you don't believe in God you would have to believe all the elements that make up the universe also have no beginning, as they couldn't have materialized from absolutely nothing.

I consider time travel as a possibility, with all the events from the beginning to the end being on something like the tube on a music box, with time moving over the tube as opposed to the tube spinning through the events, if that makes any sense...from the big bang to the collapse of the universe, physically it would repeat endlessly. But if that were the case, I'd be typing this because I have no choice, as everything has happened already.

Perhaps there are different planes or energies which co-exist with the physical, yet don't necessarily have to be a log floating on the surface of events which flow around the tube of time, but can exist independently. If not, again there's no use even thinking about it as everything you think would be preconceived. Perhaps one of these energies would be our spirit, soul, or whatever it is that makes you "you."
They say you can't believe everything they say.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”