Religion is Linked to Immoral Behavior in New Study

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
zzontar
Guru

Re: Religion is Linked to Immoral Behavior in New Study

Post by zzontar »

Glacier wrote:Here is an interesting survey.
asdf.JPG

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... ality.html

No big surprise... just reading the posts from both sides basically confirms this, not that this means it's always the case.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

zzontar wrote:
asdf.JPG

No big surprise... just reading the posts from both sides basically confirms this, not that this means it's always the case.

May I ask how reading my posts indicates that I value honesty, kindness, family life, being loved, friendship, courtesy, concern for others, forgiveness, politeness, friendliness, patience, or generosity any less than somebody who identifies as believing in a god?
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

mechanic_virus wrote:
zzontar wrote:
asdf.JPG

May I ask how reading my posts indicates that I value honesty, kindness, family life, being loved, friendship, courtesy, concern for others, forgiveness, politeness, friendliness, patience, or generosity any less than somebody who identifies as believing in a god?

I was going by the ones that post on the religion threads, as they make it more obvious whether they're theists or atheists... maybe you're super nice, just as some religious folk are super gnarly, but I'm just going by what I read on the religion forums. I think everyone agreed nolan presented his atheistic opinions in a good way without having to resort to insults, but he is the exception as far as I can see.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

Once upon a time the religion threads contained the majority of my posts. Perhaps I should begin posting here again more often. I've found though that the topics have become a lot less controversial than they once were - or perhaps I have.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

M virus... You are a sweetheart, so don't try and put out any alter ego. :sunshine:

The religion forum has become much less controversial due to the absence of he who would kill cheerios. The amatuer pot stirrers (? sp) that pass themselves off as atheists today can't hold a candle to the havoc he used to wreak.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Glacier, interesting that your chart gives higher honesty marks to the Christians. Like everyone, from time to time I have been ripped off, one of the biggest business cheats who bilked me builds (or used to build) LDS churches, another guy who stuck it to me pretty well was a very devout Christian, tho I later discovered that he was bilking homeowners by doing shoddy roofing jobs and bilking the govt and his workers while using illegal aliens to do the work. These are strictly anecdotal and of course do not prove or disprove anything. But I have never been ripped off, to any great degree by any one I knew to be non religious. (no no neddy, I aint gonna give you any info that might lead to the individuals concerned)
We're lost but we're making good time.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

nibs wrote:Glacier, interesting that your chart gives higher honesty marks to the Christians. Like everyone, from time to time I have been ripped off, one of the biggest business cheats who bilked me builds (or used to build) LDS churches, another guy who stuck it to me pretty well was a very devout Christian, tho I later discovered that he was bilking homeowners by doing shoddy roofing jobs and bilking the govt and his workers while using illegal aliens to do the work. These are strictly anecdotal and of course do not prove or disprove anything. But I have never been ripped off, to any great degree by any one I knew to be non religious. (no no neddy, I aint gonna give you any info that might lead to the individuals concerned)

I can think of several flaws with this chart. M_V pointed out a couple of them. The part that I found interesting is not that theists were higher on all moral values, but rather which values were common between them and which were not. The chart listed in order starting with the value that the highest percentage of atheists consider "VERY IMPORTANT" when compared to the theist's responses. Notice that honesty is at the top of the list. So, it looks like atheist and theist alike value honesty - which is a good thing. But as you point out you have been screwed over those that claim they don't believe in screwing your neighbour, so there is probably a disconnect between what one SAYS is important and what one actually DOES.

I don't understand why patience and generosity scored so low with atheists. Perhaps they are IMPORTANT to atheists, but not VERY IMPORTANT. Or perhaps theists use the same word for VERY IMPORTANT and IMPORTANT so they answered yes when they shouldn't have. Yup, the study doesn't really say anything, just like the first study posted in this thread.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Glacier wrote:I don't understand why patience and generosity scored so low with atheists. Perhaps they are IMPORTANT to atheists, but not VERY IMPORTANT.

I just read an article in Seed Science is Culture that notes that geniuses are impatient and inclined toward selfishness. I guess being impatient but generous precludes me from genius.
nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

It's pretty easy to look at a list traits that are commonly considered positive and say you consider them very important. Regardless of the level of import at which they are held what is actually important is how the people act.
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

nibs wrote:I just read an article in Seed Science is Culture that notes that geniuses are impatient and inclined toward selfishness. I guess being impatient but generous precludes me from genius.

I don't think it's just the generosity...
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

FunkyBunch wrote:I don't think

Forsooth I must agree. <G>
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

That's OK nibs.. .rarely is the person who builds lds chapels actually lds.

I was ripped off by an lds person who painted chapels when I was young. Just because they are lds doesn't mean they are perfect. If we were perfect, we wouldn't be here.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

How could one of gods perfect creations be anything but perfect?
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

Have you read past page one of the Bible?
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

^
You do realize that the bible is a fictional story? It never really happened. If you seriously believe that humans are 'imperfect' because of eating an apple, you have got more problems than just reading comprehension.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”