Sick of NDP attack ads

BC's provincial election and STV referendum takes place Tuesday May 12th.
usquebaugh
Guru

Re: Sick of NDP attack ads

Post by usquebaugh »

logicalview wrote:
usquebaugh wrote:Actually, I'm not one of those who needed to worry about the tuition freeze, because I have gone through my post-secondary education (undergraduate and graduate) while fully funded, but there are those who were trying to get an education for whom it was made very difficult.

It's nice to know that you enjoy spitting on them.

Spitting on them? Enjoy spitting on them?

You my dear a a very angry young lady.

I'm very angry that you believe that the people who want affordable post-secondary education (so that they can better provide for their families) whine, *bleep* and complain, and your statement is the equivalent of you spitting on them. An attitude, such as yours, would be laughed at in Sweden. I am grateful that, after the election on May12th, people with such an outlook will be in the minority in this province.
Last edited by usquebaugh on Apr 10th, 2009, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

steven lloyd wrote:
Al Czervic wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:
logicalview wrote: Now if they could assemble a platform to benefit British Columbians and earn their vote then we would have a horse race.

http://www.bcndp.ca/newsroom/ndp-platfo ... ucation-an

http://thetyee.ca/Blogs/TheHook/Electio ... mPlatform/

http://www.bcndp.ca/category/carole-spe ... l-election

I have read all of those links and the entire NDP platform. Even a first year economics or business student can see the very serious flaws in the NDP platform. I will be posting more on this later.

I look forward to it Al. I'd appreciate some thoughtful and intelligent feedback.

Another issue I have is the ban on raw log exports. It is a simplistic policy that sounds good in theory but in reality ignores the real problem. Lumber Mills these days are highly specialized; they only process very select varieties of fibre into very selective grades of lumber and value added.

In many cases there may be either a private supply of timbre; or a particular wood species that is not processed by any nearby mills; in some cases the nearest mill is in Washington State thus it makes economic sense to export logs to that Mill in question.

Keep in mind before ANY load of logs can be is exported into the ‘States BC Mills are given the chance to bid on it if they want it. However as mentioned if it is a species they do not process; or logistical consideration make it not economical; they pass on these logs hence why they are allowed to be exported.

Banning this practice simply results in putting more people out of work. There is a reason why no government in the history of BC has banned raw log exports because there is more to the issue. The NDP knows this as well so this is a low level type of policy designed to appeal to the average joe who thinks it makes sense; but does not really understand how the industry really works.

This policy would only put more people out work. The biggest challenge in the forest industry is the collapse of the US export market; plain and simple. The NDP needs a real policy here not a simplistic politically populist approach that will do nothing but put more people out of work. Hence why I was hoping for a more insightful policy on this one. Even higher duties on export logs (as recommended by the forestry roundtable) is a step in the right direction, but not an outright ban.
Back with a vengeance
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

usquebaugh wrote:An attitude, such as yours, would be laughed at in Sweden.

Oh, please don't turn good old British Columbia into a problem-ridden broke and overtaxed poopyhole that Sweden is.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Al Czervic wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:
Al Czervic wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:
logicalview wrote: Now if they could assemble a platform to benefit British Columbians and earn their vote then we would have a horse race.

http://www.bcndp.ca/newsroom/ndp-platfo ... ucation-an

http://thetyee.ca/Blogs/TheHook/Electio ... mPlatform/

http://www.bcndp.ca/category/carole-spe ... l-election

I have read all of those links and the entire NDP platform. Even a first year economics or business student can see the very serious flaws in the NDP platform. I will be posting more on this later.

I look forward to it Al. I'd appreciate some thoughtful and intelligent feedback.

Another issue I have is the ban on raw log exports. It is a simplistic policy that sounds good in theory but in reality ignores the real problem. Lumber Mills these days are highly specialized; they only process very select varieties of fibre into very selective grades of lumber and value added.

In many cases there may be either a private supply of timbre; or a particular wood species that is not processed by any nearby mills; in some cases the nearest mill is in Washington State thus it makes economic sense to export logs to that Mill in question.

Keep in mind before ANY load of logs can be is exported into the ‘States BC Mills are given the chance to bid on it if they want it. However as mentioned if it is a species they do not process; or logistical consideration make it not economical; they pass on these logs hence why they are allowed to be exported.

Banning this practice simply results in putting more people out of work. There is a reason why no government in the history of BC has banned raw log exports because there is more to the issue. The NDP knows this as well so this is a low level type of policy designed to appeal to the average joe who thinks it makes sense; but does not really understand how the industry really works.

This policy would only put more people out work. The biggest challenge in the forest industry is the collapse of the US export market; plain and simple. The NDP needs a real policy here not a simplistic politically populist approach that will do nothing but put more people out of work. Hence why I was hoping for a more insightful policy on this one. Even higher duties on export logs (as recommended by the forestry roundtable) is a step in the right direction, but not an outright ban.

Al, unless I have missed something, to be fair here I saw nothing about "Banning" raw log exports in the NDP platform (I did see an item about "restricting" them however - charging that the Liberals are intent on opening up even more export of raw logs). As usual however just broad and unsupported statements, little detail either way. To be sure, many of these platform items are very carefully worded to avoid actually taking strong sides on issues and taking a chance on alienating any potential voters on either side of the issues.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

usquebaugh wrote:I'm very angry that you believe that the people who want affordable post-secondary education (so that they can better provide for their families) whine, *bleep* and complain, and your statement is the equivalent of you spitting on them.

Dig deeper.

I do believe that you and your crew don't have one ounce of thankfulness towards the opportunities that are afforded you. You leach. You whine.

You're just angry at anything an anybody in this Province who is on the giving side of the equation and not the taking.

usquebaugh wrote:I am grateful that, after the election on May12th, people with such an outlook will be in the minority in this province.

That my Dearie is yet to be decided. My hunch is that the negative spewing will not garner any more support for the NDP.

I am hopeful that the people of BC will continue to endorse a system that pays the way, to the best of it's ability, for those less fortunate. I hope the mandate is strong enough again to silence the leaching radicals again.
Not afraid to say "It".
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

My earlier posts from the NDP platform clearly show Ms James and her crew all hell bent on bashing Gordon Campbell instead of telling us what they could do to make this a better place to live.

I posted Ms James intro bashing Gordon.

I posted the first page of the platform where the NDP crew went straight to bashing.

Here I post the next page of the platform, starting again with more Gordon Campbell bashing for your enjoyment.....

http://www.bcndp.ca/files/u108/BCNDP09_Platform_2009-_Final-April9_last3.pdf

Investments, Opportunity and Jobs for the Future

Eight years ago, Gordon Campbell promised British Columbia
prosperity for all. Instead we have seen prosperity for a few
and years of higher costs, job losses and service cuts for the
rest of us.

Gordon Campbell’s arrogance and deliberate neglect is hurting everyday families.
While key public services have been cut and privatized, and the plight of resource communities and
families ignored, Gordon Campbell puts all his energy and your money into a few pet projects that have cost BC taxpayers hundreds of millions in uncontrolled overruns.
British Columbians have said ‘no’ to costly private power projects that drive up Hydro rates and damage rivers. They have said ‘no’ to the privatization of hospitals and highways that means delays and additional costs. But Gordon Campbell persists with the privatization of public resources, services and assets. And he refuses to remove the cloud of corruption that hangs over the privatization of BC Rail.
Now, in a period of economic downturn, British Columbians are paying a high price for eight years of Gordon Campbell’s arrogance and neglect. He refused to admit BC was in a recession and that meant he wasn’t prepared for the downturn that the rest of BC could see coming:
• Overruns on projects like the Vancouver Convention Centre and the Olympics meant no
“Rainy Day” fund ready to help troubled communities and industries.
• Gordon Campbell has done nothing to help the growing number of unemployed. In January
and February 2009, BC lost almost 70,000 jobs but he failed to get action from Ottawa to
help families cope.
• During the worst recession in two decades Campbell’s plan triples the gas tax, raises fees
and hydro rates, and cuts important services.
Gordon Campbell is simply out of touch with the times. His plan hurts businesses and average families by raising taxes and spending even more of your money on his pet projects.

Less bashing - more platform please.
Not afraid to say "It".
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

logicalview wrote:
usquebaugh wrote:I'm very angry that you believe that the people who want affordable post-secondary education (so that they can better provide for their families) whine, *bleep* and complain, and your statement is the equivalent of you spitting on them.

Dig deeper.

I do believe that you and your crew don't have one ounce of thankfulness towards the opportunities that are afforded you. You leach. You whine.

You're just angry at anything an anybody in this Province who is on the giving side of the equation and not the taking.

usquebaugh wrote:I am grateful that, after the election on May12th, people with such an outlook will be in the minority in this province.

That my Dearie is yet to be decided. My hunch is that the negative spewing will not garner any more support for the NDP.

I am hopeful that the people of BC will continue to endorse a system that pays the way, to the best of it's ability, for those less fortunate. I hope the mandate is strong enough again to silence the leaching radicals again.

Don't call me "Dearie," or I'll start to think you're a chauvinist...

The opportunities afforded to me have nothing to do with the Liberals' current criminal regime.

I guess am angry that there are those who don't understand the great deficits created in our health care system since the Liberals came to power. Those who don't understand the numerous LTC patients, who are taking up hospital beds, since El Gordo & Co. closed down senior care facilities and hospitals, and how the province is now trying to play catch up for the thousands of beds that were closed (when the Liberals "promised" to open 5,000 more). I'm upset that we have elderly people living in unsafe conditions in their homes, because they can't even get into a hospital bed, let alone a LTC facility. I'm upset that the privatization of senior care means there's a facility here in Kelowna that charges its residents $4,000/month, and yet is unsafe (meaning there's no combination/keypad lock on the doors leading to the stairwell, leaving it open for residents with dementia to wander (or roll) down the stairs, possibly injuring themselves). I'm upset that the provincial government is wasting money on the Olympics, when we have children (who don't have a choice about their circumstances) starving and living on the streets in this province, while the neo-con fat cats get fatter and richer.

I suppose there's nothing further to say to you, and I'll just let you enjoy the role of Scrooge. I can be content knowing that I have worked toward seeing everyone in this province having the same advantages.
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

usquebaugh wrote:
Don't call me "Dearie," or I'll start to think you're a chauvinist...

The opportunities afforded to me have nothing to do with the Liberals' current criminal regime.

I guess am angry that there are those who don't understand the great deficits created in our health care system since the Liberals came to power. Those who don't understand the numerous LTC patients, who are taking up hospital beds, since El Gordo & Co. closed down senior care facilities and hospitals, and how the province is now trying to play catch up for the thousands of beds that were closed (when the Liberals "promised" to open 5,000 more). I'm upset that we have elderly people living in unsafe conditions in their homes, because they can't even get into a hospital bed, let alone a LTC facility. I'm upset that the privatization of senior care means there's a facility here in Kelowna that charges its residents $4,000/month, and yet is unsafe (meaning there's no combination/keypad lock on the doors leading to the stairwell, leaving it open for residents with dementia to wander (or roll) down the stairs, possibly injuring themselves). I'm upset that the provincial government is wasting money on the Olympics, when we have children (who don't have a choice about their circumstances) starving and living on the streets in this province, while the neo-con fat cats get fatter and richer.

I suppose there's nothing further to say to you, and I'll just let you enjoy the role of Scrooge. I can be content knowing that I have worked toward seeing everyone in this province having the same advantages.

Don't "guess" that you're angry honey, you are.

I can't be bothered to verify your eject on the current state of affairs. For the point of discussion I'll take your word for it.

Those who are in charge of the health care facilities do the best they can for the citizens of our province. I suspect that they are proud of their work, and though they don't have public money trees growing in their facilities they must be somewhat satisfied with their working conditions compared to places like say Somolia. Do you really think that an NDP government is the mother theresa with a magic wand? Do you really think that Ms. James will sprout tinkerbell wings and fix the worlds problems?

No. She would have a budget. She would burden the families of this province with taxes to pay for her crews goodies. And that my dear, is the way it works - tax and spend. What she wants to do is spend more, much more. And that is why forward thinking British Columbians will go out of their way to place another liberal Government.

There not going to be woo'd by a bashfest campaign. We are too mature and seasoned for that.
Not afraid to say "It".
Bellevuejim
Fledgling

Post by Bellevuejim »

I'm upset that the provincial government is wasting money on the Olympics, when we have children (who don't have a choice about their circumstances) starving and living on the streets in this province, while the neo-con fat cats get fatter and richer.

Yes...we are all wrong. Carol James is our savior. We need to increase taxes and spending so that a the vast minority can be saved. How many homeless children do you see walking around? Homeless seniors? You have been severely mis-informed to believe that this is an actual issue that needs to be dealt with. There is a ton of help available for low income families, believe me, I know first hand through my volunteer work. All NDP propaganda...Gimme a break.

Real NDP platform:

- Protect the union employees (especially the lazy ones).
- Tax business to the point of Bankruptcy
- Shrink the population via mass exodus (health care problem solved)
- Provide clean and safe free housing for the poor (why work if free and safe housing is available?)
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

Bellevuejim wrote:
I'm upset that the provincial government is wasting money on the Olympics, when we have children (who don't have a choice about their circumstances) starving and living on the streets in this province, while the neo-con fat cats get fatter and richer.

Yes...we are all wrong. Carol James is our savior. We need to increase taxes and spending so that a the VAST minority can be saved. How many homeless children do you see walking around? Homeless seniors? You have been severely mis-informed to believe that this is an actual issue that needs to be dealt with. There is a ton of help available for low income families, believe me, I know first hand through my volunteer work. All NDP propaganda...

Real NDP platform:

- Provide clean and safe free housing for the poor (why work if free and safe housing is available?)

How can a minority be vast?

OED Online wrote:1. Of very great or large dimensions or size; huge, immense, enormous.

2. a. Of great or immense extent or area; extensive, far-stretching.'
b. Qualifying nouns of dimension.
c. In transf. or fig. uses.

3. Of the mind, etc.: Unusually large or comprehensive in grasp or aims.

4. a. Very great, immense, enormous, in respect of amount, quantity, or number.
b. With nouns of quality, action, etc.
c. With nouns denoting number or amount. (Passing into next.)

Or do you agree that Gordon Campbell's policies are increasing the number of homeless and working poor in this province?
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

Also, I am well aware of the vast numbers of LTC patients in KGH and other hospitals in this province, but since you probably don't know anyone who works on the front lines in health care, I'll excuse your ignorance on the subject.
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

usquebaugh wrote:Also, I am well aware of the vast numbers of LTC patients in KGH and other hospitals in this province, but since you probably don't know anyone who works on the front lines in health care, I'll excuse your ignorance on the subject.

Know it all.
Not afraid to say "It".
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

CaptainAwesome wrote:
usquebaugh wrote:An attitude, such as yours, would be laughed at in Sweden.

Oh, please don't turn good old British Columbia into a problem-ridden broke and overtaxed poopyhole that Sweden is.

Sometimes you need to think (maybe even look stuff up) before you post.

The HDI combines normalized measures of life expectancy, literacy, educational attainment, and GDP per capita for countries worldwide. It is claimed as a standard means of measuring human development—a concept that, according to the United Nations Development Program (UNDP), refers to the process of widening the options of persons, giving them greater opportunities for education, health care, income, employment, etc. The basic use of HDI is to measure a country's development.

Sweden is raked as number seven (7). Not too bad. Hardly a problem-ridden poopyhole.

Canada is ranked number three (3) which is obviously higher, but keep in mind we used to be ranked as number one (1) before our social, economic and political policies began shifting toward the right again.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Bellevuejim wrote: Real NDP platform:

Do you have a link for that - or are you just making it up as you go along ?
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

steven lloyd wrote:Do you have a link for that - or are you just making it up as you go along ?

http://www.whineandbashyourwaytopower.com

http://www.bankrupttheeconomybywantonspending.com
Not afraid to say "It".

Return to “B.C. Provincial Election 2009”