Sick of NDP attack ads

BC's provincial election and STV referendum takes place Tuesday May 12th.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Re: Sick of NDP attack ads

Post by tsayta »

Bellevuejim wrote:
I'm upset that the provincial government is wasting money on the Olympics, when we have children (who don't have a choice about their circumstances) starving and living on the streets in this province, while the neo-con fat cats get fatter and richer.

Yes...we are all wrong. Carol James is our savior. We need to increase taxes and spending so that a the vast minority can be saved. How many homeless children do you see walking around? Homeless seniors? You have been severely mis-informed to believe that this is an actual issue that needs to be dealt with. There is a ton of help available for low income families, believe me, I know first hand through my volunteer work. All NDP propaganda...Gimme a break.

Real NDP platform:

- Protect the union employees (especially the lazy ones).
- Tax business to the point of Bankruptcy
- Shrink the population via mass exodus (health care problem solved)
- Provide clean and safe free housing for the poor (why work if free and safe housing is available?)

Volunteer work - hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Bellevuejim wrote:
I actually tried following the links and found they went as far as Bellevuejim’s thinking

Not a fan of personal attacks...but whatever.
Doing some good might help her rid herself of that permanent, nasty scowl. (come to think of it, i guess we do have something in common!)

Personal attack not-maker
WW
usquebaugh
Guru

Re: Sick of the god-damned Liberals

Post by usquebaugh »

Bellevuejim wrote:How many homeless children do you see walking around? Homeless seniors? You have been severely mis-informed to believe that this is an actual issue that needs to be dealt with. There is a ton of help available for low income families, believe me, I know first hand through my volunteer work. All NDP propaganda...Gimme a break.

All NDP propaganda? Below is the news article I was referring to when I mentioned child poverty and homelessness.

B.C. the worst in Canada for child poverty

British Columbia has the highest rate of child poverty in the country, a dubious distinction the province has won for five straight years.

According to the advocacy group First Call, which issued its annual Child Poverty Report Card on Friday morning, B.C.'s child poverty rate is 22 per cent, six per cent higher than the national average.

Based on 2006 statistics, the Vancouver-based organization said 181,000 children in B.C. are living below the poverty line.

Those numbers can cause disastrous results for the province's affected children, First Call's Adrienne Montani said, including "school failure, doing poorly in school or dropping out early, poor health, life-long consequences for their health. It means they may become vulnerable to justice system involvement, especially as they hit their teens."

Low wages and low welfare rates are to blame for pushing parents and their children into poverty, Montani said.

She also argued the province spends less on child-care and housing subsidies than other provinces.

NDP health critic Adrian Dix blamed the government of Premier Gordon Campbell.

"You'll remember the largest cut in the first round of Campbell cuts was the Ministry of Children and Family Development. They got rid of the children's commission, the child advocate."

With the current economic downturn, B.C.'s child poverty figures will only get worse, First Call cautioned.

Also, here's the thread where the article was originally discussed.
Last edited by usquebaugh on Apr 10th, 2009, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Why are we talking about child poverty and child homelessness as though they are the same thing?

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
usquebaugh
Guru

Re: Sick of the god-damned Liberals

Post by usquebaugh »

Nabcom wrote:Why are we talking about child poverty and child homelessness as though they are the same thing?

I was thinking of it along those lines, because of this part in the article:

It means they may become vulnerable to justice system involvement, especially as they hit their teens.

How many teens drop out of school, leave home, and become involved in crime due to child poverty? Rather a large number, I believe. Not everyone who is homeless is an adult. Also, there are families living out of the their vehicles (if they're lucky) and/or on the streets. Children have become more vulnerable to such situations during the Campbell regime, and that alone ought to be enough to motivate anyone with a conscience to remove the Liberals from office.
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Usquebaugh wrote:

"Children have become more vulnerable to such situations during the Campbell regime"

Can you support that allegation with facts usquebaugh? I do however realize that it may be very difficult for anyone to substantiate the vague idea of "more vulnerable" statistically in any credible way, but presumably you have some data to support it?
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
fred 2
Fledgling

Post by fred 2 »

Usequebach must be an NDP supporter, all she can do is run everyone down. If she knows so much, why not run and quit complaining. Lets see some supporting data.
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

Nabcom wrote:Can you support that allegation with facts usquebaugh? I do however realize that it may be very difficult for anyone to substantiate the vague idea of "more vulnerable" statistically in any credible way, but presumably you have some data to support it?

The article (which refers to research done by First Call) I quoted says that child poverty in B.C. is the worst in Canada for the last five years (while El Gordo was in charge), a child poverty rate of 21.9% presumably leaves them more vulnerable. Much of the data (found here) was obtained from Statistics Canada.
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

usquebaugh wrote:
Nabcom wrote:Can you support that allegation with facts usquebaugh? I do however realize that it may be very difficult for anyone to substantiate the vague idea of "more vulnerable" statistically in any credible way, but presumably you have some data to support it?

The article (which refers to research done by First Call) I quoted says that child poverty in B.C. is the worst in Canada for the last five years (while El Gordo was in charge), a child poverty rate of 21.9% presumably leaves them more vulnerable. Much of the data (found here) was obtained from Statistics Canada.

I don't see how the statistics related to child poverty rate can be ASSUMED to leave them more vulnerable to being homeless. Nor can I see how it can be related specifically to Liberal policies.
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

Nabcom wrote:
usquebaugh wrote:

I don't see how the statistics related to child poverty rate can be ASSUMED to leave them more vulnerable to being homeless. Nor can I see how it can be related specifically to Liberal policies.

So you've read the 20 page report already then? Or did you miss the part where the "training wage" ($6/hr, which is a Liberal policy, if you will recall) means that full-time, full-year wage earners are not earning nearly enough to support themselves (or their families)?
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

usquebaugh wrote:
Nabcom wrote:
usquebaugh wrote:

So you've read the 20 page report already then? Or did you miss the part where the "training wage" ($6/hr, which is a Liberal policy, if you will recall) means that a full-time, full-year wage earner is not earning nearly enough to support themselves (or their family)?

Perhaps rather you missed the part that appears to show little changed among two parent families, but volatility among single parent families became worse. Including a significant rate increase in that sector from 2001 to 2004, followed by a decline in the same sector back to the second lowest rate since 1989?

Major mistakes were made by this government in their first term, and I don't for a moment forgive them for that. But they don't translate into continuation of those same mistakes during their second term IMO or are they presently an issue. I do however fear that first term "mistakes" may reappear should they win a third term.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

No Olympics on stolen land!

Oh wait, wrong thread.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Bellevuejim
Fledgling

Post by Bellevuejim »

First Call B.C. eh? No bias there...

Here are a few members of their coalition....anyone see a trend?

BC Teachers' Federation
Hospital Employees' Union
BCGEU

Gimme a break.

http://www.firstcallbc.org/about-coalitionPartners.html
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Bellevuejim wrote:First Call B.C. eh? No bias there...

Here are a few members of their coalition....anyone see a trend?

BC Teachers' Federation
Hospital Employees' Union
BCGEU

Gimme a break.

http://www.firstcallbc.org/about-coalitionPartners.html

NOTE TO READERS:
-Communists
WW
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

tsayta wrote: NOTE TO READERS:
-Communists

tsayta. Now be a good little kid and go back and play in your sandbox until you have something a little more intelligent to say.

Return to “B.C. Provincial Election 2009”