Mary-Ann Graham - BC Conservatives

Castanet News
Administrator

Mary-Ann Graham - BC Conservatives

Post by Castanet News »

This thread is for the discussion of the candidacy of Mary-Ann Graham - BC Conservatives.
katzenjammer
Board Meister

Re: Mary-Ann Graham - BC Conservatives

Post by katzenjammer »

OK Mary-Ann, Where is your platform. Any reason why I should vote for you?
Mary-Ann are you there? Mary-Ann????

edit to add---found some info here http://www.conservativesbc.com/KLC.htm
Happiness never decreases by being shared. ...
Mary-Ann

Post by Mary-Ann »

Here is a link to the party platform
http://www.conservativesbc.com/platform.html

Here is a link to my campaign website

http://www.electmary-anngraham.com
Last edited by Mary-Ann on May 4th, 2009, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mary-Ann

Post by Mary-Ann »

Hello, Mary-Ann here.

Thank you for taking an interest in the Provincial election on May 12th. My website is http://www.electmary-anngraham.com

My brochure is attached to the website in PDF format. There is also a link to the BC Conservative website and policies. Soon there will be a link to the platform.

If you are interested, the Kelowna-Lake Country Candidates will be taking part in a radio forum on AM 1150 with Phil Johnson at 9:00am tomorrow April 22.

In the evening, we will be in Joe Rich at the Community Hall at 7:00pm.

Please contact me if you want more information or give me some feedback through the website or you can call me at 250-870-4215. I really do want to hear from you!

BE A PART OF THE CHANGE!
issueman
Übergod

Post by issueman »

Please describe your Education for us. Have you completed a degreee?

How does the Conservatives Educational platform differ from that of the Liberals/NDP?
Freefalling

Post by Freefalling »

Totally unaware of the issues and out of touch with the people...Please Mary-Anne, read without your papers and study up on people's concerns before attending debates....
Mary-Ann

Post by Mary-Ann »

Thank you for your feedback. It is very much appreciated. It appears that I was not as prepared as I thought I was. You experienced my worse performance at a public forum in 12 years. I am sorry that you had to witness it. It is an experience that I have definitely learned from and do not wish to repeat.
Please contact me at 250-870-4215 or [email protected] to better educate me on the issues specific to Joe Rich. I do want to know all that I can. Once again, thank you.
Freefalling

Post by Freefalling »

It's okay Mary-Ann, I think we forget how difficult it is for the candidates to respond to questions within seconds of hearing them. Also, it was not fair that you had to go first every time! I am sure the next go around will prove to be successful...
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

It is reported that about 20 people, mostly seniors showed up for a recent conservative meet and greet in Rutland. To what do you attribute the small turnout?. Do the conservatives have anything for the younger people?
We're lost but we're making good time.
Mary-Ann

Post by Mary-Ann »

First, for my education I have a diploma from Douglas College in New Westminster. I majored in Englich and Psychology with a full course load including Biology, French, Geography, History and Geology. I was preparing to be a teacher. The plan was to go to SFU but I took a year off to get married and I did not go back. I have safisfied my desire to teach with coaching, sunday school teaching and training at BC Tel. I also have my Level II with the Purchasing Management Association of Canada (SFU Campus). I took Dale Carnegie and lay counselling courses.

I have cut and paste the platform for education below.

BC Conservative MLAs will vote to Provide Education Funding Based on an
Equal Per Student Funding Formula Payable to the School of
Choice.
BC Conservative MLAs will vote to reform the education funding
system. We will give parents the right to choose which qualifying
K-12 school their child will attend while ensuring that a
reasonable cost for education is born by the provincial system
based on an equal “per student” funding formula. Equal funding
will be available to both private and public systems. All schools
will be required to meet provincial standards to qualify for
funding.
BC Conservative MLAs will vote to Repeal the Corren Agreement and Restore the
Principle of Parental Rights in the Education System for BC Children.
BC Conservatives believe the government must respect all families,
religions, and values, and legislation should not be used as an
instrument to socially engineer society toward the agenda of special
interests over the general interest.
BC Conservative MLAs will vote to Provide Tuition Assistance for All
Qualifying Post Secondary Students.
BC Conservatives believe that education is an important
requirement for the future health of the BC economy. We will
encourage students to achieve a post secondary education. Over
eight years we propose to support initiatives to enhance our
institutions and remove some of the burden of tuition fees. In the
first year of our plan all students will qualify for the provision of
up to 50% support for one year of province-wide average tuition
fees for qualified post secondary education. The plan will be
more favourable to students who achieve minimum standards.
Assistance will be more favourable to students that work within
BC Conservative Party Platform Election 2009
the province after graduation. We will support a plan to provide
assistance for up to 4 years of post secondary education.

Finally, yes I was a card carrying BC Liberal until recently. Things change, new information is provided and an old party has re-emerged. I have been saying for years that there was not one party that really fit me so I made the best of what we had available. There has not been a conservative party since I have been old enough to vote. When I heard the policies of the BC Conservative party, I felt like it was made for me. There is nothing wrong with changing one's mind or opinion when new information is provided. To be honest with yourself and others, you must always re-evaluate what you think, do and say to ensure you are still on track with reality. I do not think the Liberals or anybody else are monsters, I just do not agree with everything they say. My main reasons for moving over include the grass roots approach and the free vote in legislature. I also believe that with this party I can truly make a difference for the people of the Province of BC and especially the Okanagan.

I am sorry this reply has been so long. Thank you for your questions.

Mary-Ann
Mary-Ann

Post by Mary-Ann »

In response to the question about the turnout at the meet & greet. Unfortunately, there were two play off hockey games on that night. Now, you tell me what would you rather do. The turn out was across the board age wise. There was a baby all the way to great-grand-parent age. I think the only age group missing was the 30s. I have three daughters who are young voters. I believe the BC Conservative party will be very attractive to the young voters as well as the other stages of life. BC Conservatives are here for everybody. There needs to be a balance between all ages, all eco-social background, economy, environment and government services. We all deserve a good quality of life. All should feel like winners. Nobody should feel like a loser.

Well that is it for now. I will check in for comments later.

Mary-Ann
Freefalling

Post by Freefalling »

Much better!

Thank you :)
issueman
Übergod

Post by issueman »

The real surprise at the Joe Rich All Candidates meeting was the performance of Kelly Hayes.
Only 4 questions were asked in the whole 2 hour evening.
he refused B.C. ambulance service questions.
Then he got into arguments as to how to answer the 4 questions during and after the meeting.
And was quite rude to some of those attending.
Most undignified for a regional director!
strikes&gutters
Board Meister

Post by strikes&gutters »

But Mary-Ann, the issue is that the concerns you have raised surrounding the BC Liberal have been documented for some time.

Not only were you a card carrying member, but is it not true that you considered challenging Norm Letnick for the BC Liberal nomination? My understanding is that you actually took out nomination papers but never submitted them. Am I wrong?
Mary-Ann

Post by Mary-Ann »

No, I didn't consider challenging Norm. I did not take out papers for the Kelowna-Lake Country riding. It was talked about by my supporters but I said "No". I was running for the Kelowna council seat in November and that is what I was concentrating on. When the election was over, it was basically a done deal that Norm was crowned. I did not know about the opportunity to be the BC Conservative Candidate until March 18th and I was approved on March 21. I would much rather sit as a BC Conservative MLA than as a Liberal. This is who I am. I am for all the people.
I did send a letter of intent concerning the Kelowna-Mission riding, but changed my mind. I went to a meeting with the other intendees. There were nine names, 7 attendees and in the end only 3 contestants. It did not feel right. The Kelowna-Lake Country is my area to be in. I live here. I am known here. All along, I thought that Norm should be running in the Kelowna-Mission riding as that is where he lives and that is where he is better known. That is where he wanted to be but circumstances did not allow it. Representatives need to fit the people who they are representing.
I never filed papers but removed myself from any race before it complicated the process. I never made a public announcement of my intention of running as I had not made up my mind to do so. I wanted the information to make a proper decision. Before I rocked the boat, I wanted to make sure that it was truly what I wanted. It was not.
I believe in the grassroots approach, people come before party. I would have been in trouble too much with the Liberal party as I need to be able to speak my mind and have open conversation to come to an appropriate action. I also like to hear other people speak their minds as well and not just repeat the party rhetoric.

I believe that we make decisions based on the information that we have. As long as I have been of voting age, I did not have the opportunity to vote for a conservative at the provincial level, so you make choices. Now, I have my choice. I am delighted that a party has come along that fits my philosophy so much that I can stand up and say "Vote for Mary-Ann Graham, Vote BC Conservative".

Thank you

Return to “Kelowna-Lake Country”