Don't Vote 2009

BC's provincial election and STV referendum takes place Tuesday May 12th.
NoOne
Generalissimo Postalot

Don't Vote 2009

Post by NoOne »

Since a large segment of B.C's Population won't/don't/can't vote in the next election I would like to hear from those people. If you are voting use the other forums to praise your political runner. I would like to know why you are not going to vote. i don't see this as a party thrashing thread but a discourse on reasons why not to vote.

I personally will not be voting this election. Having just moved to a new area and I don't believe in any of the candidates I cast my vote for not choosing. I'll take who ever gets in but I won't be blamed for having to choose between evils.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: Don't Vote 2009

Post by Urbane »

I agree with what Bill Good said this morning on his talk show. He said that there are lots of good candidates running and he has no time for those who say they won't be voting. He went on to say that if you really think all the people who are running are not worthy of your vote then maybe you should run yourself. Throwing away your precious vote, something that our soldiers have fought and died for, is sad. It's also a cop-out.

Edit to add: Maybe this topic should be moved from B.C. to Election.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Not voting can be a vote in itself.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

writerdave wrote:Not voting can be a vote in itself.
And if everyone tried that?
:127:
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Urbane wrote:
    writerdave wrote:Not voting can be a vote in itself.
And if everyone tried that?
:127:

Maybe someone would get the hint? :137:
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

writerdave wrote:Maybe someone would get the hint? :137:
No, but actually electing Mr. Peanut might make someone get the hint.
:200:
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

I think it's better to show up at the polls, and simply return one's unmarked, folded ballot. I believe that is called "voiding" the ballot and it is a vote for "none of the above." That sounds more effective than spoiling one's ballot, and it also provides a clearer indication that one is dissatisfied with the candidates/parties than simply staying home could accomplish. :)
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

I understand the concept of a protest vote but some people, election after election, just cop out by saying that no one is good enough. Those who choose not to be involved at all are simply letting other people decide for them because we do elect the people who will be governing us.
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

Urbane wrote:I understand the concept of a protest vote but some people, election after election, just cop out by saying that no one is good enough. Those who choose not to be involved at all are simply letting other people decide for them because we do elect the people who will be governing us.

I suspect that all my votes (except for the one in Edmonton, where the NDPer I voted for was actually elected to the Alberta Legislature) technically have been protest votes, since the likelihood of electing an NDP MLA in this region is slim-to-none... :127:
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

How about this: I was going to vote for the Work Less Party, but since May 12 was my day off...
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

writerdave wrote:How about this: I was going to vote for the Work Less Party, but since May 12 was my day off...

:coffeecanuck:
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
NoOne
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NoOne »

In the 1983 General Provincial Election, about 70% of eligible residents voted. In the 2005 Provincial Election, that percent dropped to 58%! So why did so few people vote in 2005 when the number of registered voters was actually at a 20 year high with 93% of eligible voters registered? Of the 3 million eligible voters that year, why did only 1.7 million vote?

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:fvIpkBVvjGIJ:www.supportthevote.com/tag/voter-turnout/+%2B%22bc%22election+voter+turnout+%2B%22statistics%22&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

even in australia, where voting in mandatory, they only get between 86-96% turnout, the highest in the world.

Initially the Australian Electoral Commission will write to all apparent non-voters requesting that they either provide a reason for their failure to vote or pay a $20 penalty.

If, within 21 days, the apparent non-voter fails to reply, cannot provide a valid and sufficient reason or declines to pay the penalty, then prosecution proceedings may be instigated. If the matter is dealt with in court and the person is found guilty, he or she may be fined up to $50 plus court costs.
strikes&gutters
Board Meister

Post by strikes&gutters »

I actually support measures that require all eligible voters to report to a polling station or mail in a ballot during an election.

Note, this is different than requiring all eligiblle voters TO VOTE.

There are at least 4 different ways to vote during the next BC Election.

1) At the polls on Election Day
2) At the advance polls May 6 to 9th
3) At your District Electoral Office anyday between now and May 12th (except Sundays)
4) By Mail

http://www.elections.bc.ca/index.php/vo ... ortunities
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Urbane wrote:I understand the concept of a protest vote but some people, election after election, just cop out by saying that no one is good enough. Those who choose not to be involved at all are simply letting other people decide for them because we do elect the people who will be governing us.

After many years, I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two are a law firm, and three or more are a legislature. (John Adams)
NoOne
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NoOne »

strikes&gutters wrote:I actually support measures that require all eligible voters to report to a polling station or mail in a ballot during an election.

Note, this is different than requiring all eligiblle voters TO VOTE.

There are at least 4 different ways to vote during the next BC Election.

1) At the polls on Election Day
2) At the advance polls May 6 to 9th
3) At your District Electoral Office anyday between now and May 12th (except Sundays)
4) By Mail

http://www.elections.bc.ca/index.php/vo ... ortunities

5) Don't Vote

Return to “B.C. Provincial Election 2009”