Tish Lakes - BC NDP

Castanet News
Administrator

Tish Lakes - BC NDP

Post by Castanet News »

This thread is for discussion of the candidacy of Tish Lakes - BC NDP.
usquebaugh
Guru

Re: Tish Lakes - BC NDP

Post by usquebaugh »

Tish Lakes' campaign website is here. :sunshine:
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

I like that the three Kelowna-area NDP candidates are sharing an office. Not only does it decrease their financial expenditures for rental space, but it seems to be a very green option, too!

:sunshine:
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

From Tish's website : "that the voices of ordinary British Columbians are heard" I don't like that statement. I am not sure, but for some reason it rubs me the wrong way.
I am not a huge political follower, but I do watch and try and learn as much as I can before the elections.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

That was just a short blurb on the main page of her campaign site; whereas, the following provides more detail as to her background in social work:

Tish is the Executive Director of the Okanagan Advocacy and Resource Society, which provides legal advocacy services, dealing mostly with welfare and tenancy issues. This work inspires Tish to keep pushing to make all government services work from the point of view of the person that walks in the door. She regularly encounters the gap between what services the Campbell Liberals spin as being done and what actually happens. She works with many different groups to lobby for change and believes political activism is an important tool for positive reform.

I'd like to think the NDP, since it focuses on trying to solve root causes, rather than providing "kludges"* (as the Liberals do), for social issues (such as the link between crime and poverty), tend to provide a voice for the disenfranchised (or the "weak" as some have called them). Her work at OARS tells me that she is interested in listening to the needs of our most vulnerable citizens, and doing something to help those people. Unlike certain politicians, she's not interested in building a Sea-to-Sky Highway to Whistler so that wealthy people have a faster way to spend their time at their ski chalets, but rather she's interested in helping those in a state of poverty.... :127:

For more about "kludges":
Paul Hawken's Blessed Unrest, p. 20 wrote:Conversely, if problems are viewed atomistically, the same strategies and solutions can be dismissed as idealistic or impractical. Creating genetically modified organisms to address hunger, building pebble bed nuclear reactors to address global warming, or waging opportunistic wars to establish democracies are all forms of downstream thinking that predicated today's dilemmas because none of them address the sources of the problem. In software, such fixes are called kludges, workarounds to repair bugs, expedient patches that may work for a time. Kludges do not address root causes but layer on Band-Aids to modify undesirable effects, ultimately forming a distressed whole.

I'm glad you're researching the different websites. :)
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Last edited by logicalview on Apr 15th, 2009, 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Not afraid to say "It".
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

Triple 6 wrote:From Tish's website : "that the voices of ordinary British Columbians are heard" I don't like that statement. I am not sure, but for some reason it rubs me the wrong way.
I am not a huge political follower, but I do watch and try and learn as much as I can before the elections.

Maybe you'd be interested in signing up for email alerts from each of the parties? Or you could email each of the Westside-Kelowna candidates separately to ask questions/voice concerns? :sunshine:
Last edited by usquebaugh on Apr 15th, 2009, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Last edited by logicalview on Apr 15th, 2009, 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Not afraid to say "It".
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

Trip Here's a little bit more specific information on Tish Lakes' work in our community:

Operates the Community Mental Health Advocacy Program for individuals with chronic mental illnesses and their families. Most frequent areas of work are: welfare (B.C. Income Assistance), including Persons with Disabilities; tenancy; other income security issues like Canada Pension Plan Disability and other legal information and referral; also referral for community supports.
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Last edited by logicalview on Apr 15th, 2009, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not afraid to say "It".
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

The CBC/Capital News Candidates' Debate for Westside-Kelowna will be held on Wednesday, April 29 from 7-10 pm.

Before that there's a Candidate Meet and Greet, following a present of a documentary film by the Canadian Lyme Disease Foundation on Friday, April 24 from 7-9 pm at the Capitol Theatre.

All three Kelowna-area NDP candidates will be there. :sunshine:
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Last edited by logicalview on Apr 15th, 2009, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not afraid to say "It".
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

Additionally, all three candidates will be at Ben Lee Park in Rutland to pay their respects on the Day of Mourning for Workers Injured or Killed on the Job.

Tuesday, April 28 at 4 pm.
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Last edited by logicalview on Apr 15th, 2009, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not afraid to say "It".
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

usquebaugh wrote:Additionally, all three candidates will be at Ben Lee Park in Rutland to pay their respects on the Day of Mourning for Workers Injured or Killed on the Job.

Tuesday, April 28 at 4 pm.

Isin't that sweet! Mourning for workers injured or killed on the job. The killed part I can tolerate the mourning for the injured is complete Bs. I should go there and protest. I had to fight those bastardo's at wcb for 2 years, 2 years, of me doing their work. to prove that an injury was indeed work related, and not a pre exsisting condition. wcb makes my blood boil. Ya know, this might be the time for me to fire of some emails to those in the running. If it is any indication of what I had to go through to get B covered, I can only imagine what others have had to or are going through.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings

Return to “Westside-Kelowna”