Are atheists against religion or against Christianity?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
zzontar
Guru

Re: Are atheists against religion or against Christianity?

Post by zzontar »

I think the only way not to indoctrinate a child is to never let them know your beliefs, as children will often follow their parent's lead.
There are many gods in peoples minds across the globe that claim to be the only god, and are capable of giving their owners a 'religious experience'; yet people with rival gods in their minds are also claiming to have had 'religious experiences'. Which ones are lying?

Here's my take figuratively... one person from each religion sitting in a room,all saying their God is going to walk in the door to meet them, and they will all recognize and be recognized by their own god, so will have proof their god exists... there's a knock on the door, it opens up to reveal one god standing there... everyone jumps up and says "See, I told you!"
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

That's funny, it is all the same. Not figuratively.

http://www.milkandcookies.com/link/151455/detail/
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

You missed my point completely. You say you raise your kids with all the decency that I do as an atheist, right? Yet you show no decency at all on the discussion forums. My point was that I would rather have my child NOT grow up like you soulra. If that takes teaching them what Christ taught while he was on earth, so be it.

Second point that has been made time and time again. You have no proof that God exists. I have through out my life had experiences that have left me with no doubt that God exists. To me that is proof. The fact that you don't understand faith doesn't concern me. I will teach my children of my expriences, they will no doubt be bombarded by people like you, and when left to choose between the two as they get older... I'm pretty sure your angry, insulting rantings will hold little attraction for someone who has been taught to respect others from childhoold. That is essentially what christ taught. You say you teach the same, but your actions reveal the truth. The old "do as I say, not as I do" saying doesn't hold much water with children. You teach by example. You can point to all the bad things that have happened in the name of religion, but I have never taught my children to act that way. Try following the teachings of Christ for a week instead of focusing on the radical fringe of religion.

Of course you won't and you will continue your fight against something you don't understand. It has ever been so.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

^^ I'm sure his kids will learn that to disagree also means to disrespect.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

zzontar wrote:^^ I'm sure his kids will learn that to disagree also means to disrespect.

No they won't. You can attack me all you want but I'd appreciate it if you left my kids out of it.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

soulra wrote:
zzontar wrote:^^ I'm sure his kids will learn that to disagree also means to disrespect.

No they won't. You can attack me all you want but I'd appreciate it if you left my kids out of it.

Maybe it's time you realize that one's religious beliefs and how they raise children are both very personal things... imagine if you had to read post after post from people slandering and belittling your parental skills... that's what it's like for others when you slander their beliefs. Hopefully you got the point, but I highly doubt it.

Edit to add: Remember that kids usually learn from example.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

zzontar wrote:
soulra wrote:

Maybe it's time you realize that one's religious beliefs and how they raise children are both very personal things... imagine if you had to read post after post from people slandering and belittling your parental skills... that's what it's like for others when you slander their beliefs. Hopefully you got the point, but I highly doubt it.

Edit to add: Remember that kids usually learn from example.

Missed one thing, kids are real. Why do you feel the need to feel offended for your all powerful 'god'. Can't it stick up for itself?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

AAAAh, I get it now, because YOU don't believe God is real you must figure that the related emotions and feelings others have must not be real either, so belittling and slandering are a must. Class act.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

zzontar wrote:AAAAh, I get it now, because YOU don't believe God is real you must figure that the related emotions and feelings others have must not be real either, so belittling and slandering are a must. Class act.

And just because someone feels all woo-y about 'god' means that it is off limits to criticism. I don't think so. You should really stow your persecution complex.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

soulra wrote:
zzontar wrote:AAAAh, I get it now, because YOU don't believe God is real you must figure that the related emotions and feelings others have must not be real either, so belittling and slandering are a must. Class act.

And just because someone feels all woo-y about 'god' means that it is off limits to criticism. I don't think so. You should really stow your persecution complex.

So you REALLY don't get the difference between criticism and disrespectful slandering? :200: If you don't get it by now you probably never will.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

And there it is....
good point
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

I never denied your feelings. You can have them all you want.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

soulra wrote:I never denied your feelings. You can have them all you want.

:coffeecanuck:
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

zzontar wrote:
soulra wrote:

So you REALLY don't get the difference between criticism and disrespectful slandering? :200: If you don't get it by now you probably never will.

When have I slandered? I've never said anything false about you. You cannot slander an idea that cannot be proven.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

The whiners are out in full force today. The jesus freaks got their derrieres handed to them over the easter weekend and now they are back...with a vengance. :dyinglaughing:
Last edited by Mr Danksworth on Apr 17th, 2009, 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”