Sick of NDP attack ads

BC's provincial election and STV referendum takes place Tuesday May 12th.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Sick of NDP attack ads

Post by Captain Awesome »

logicalview wrote: * Carole James has said on multiple occasions that 'she didn't support going for the Olympic bid', and the NDP's consistent bashing of the Olympics is evidence of their lack of support.

Which gov't exactly put the bid in?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

CaptainAwesome wrote:
logicalview wrote: * Carole James has said on multiple occasions that 'she didn't support going for the Olympic bid', and the NDP's consistent bashing of the Olympics is evidence of their lack of support.

The NDP Government put the bid in for the Olympics. I often wonder how the NDP envisioned it was going to be paid for; given their massive criticisms of the games. Oddly the NDP never mention that part where they thought the money was going to come from when they first put the bid in..
Back with a vengeance
usquebaugh
Guru

NDP/Private Sector Olympic Bid?

Post by usquebaugh »

Vancouver-Whistler 2010 Bid Society is formed, receives $50,000 from BC NDP government. Later has its incorporated status revoked for failing to file financial reports. The Society is comprised largely of real estate, tourism, construction, and hotel business representatives (those who will profit most from the Games).

I don't see anywhere that the NDP was an active participant, beyond the original funding. I was trying to find other sites that stated more specifically the NDP's original role in the bid, but I couldn't find anything else. Do you have any other sources of information pertaining directly to the NDP's role, rather than the private sectors' role, in the Olympic bid?

I see why the word "bash" keeps getting thrown around. I guess it's for some to think for themselves, and thus use a vocabulary beyond the "company" line. :127:
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Al Czervic wrote:
CaptainAwesome wrote:

The NDP Government put the bid in for the Olympics. I often wonder how the NDP envisioned it was going to be paid for; given their massive criticisms of the games. Oddly the NDP never mention that part where they thought the money was going to come from when they first put the bid in..

Yes something that they will deny.

Wouldn't it be a riot to see the James gang on the podium to greet the world? Spewing out all of their virtues?

I' like to see that.
Not afraid to say "It".
usquebaugh
Guru

NDP/Private Sector Olympic Bid?

Post by usquebaugh »

Oh, and Al, I should have been more specific in my last post, do you have any sites (beyond those run by the BC Liberals) that clearly show the NDP's active role in the Olympic bid?

Cheers. :sunshine:
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Oh, sorry.

Should have known better.

The James Gang won't deny it either.

They'll just say prove it.
Not afraid to say "It".
Al Czervic
Guru

Re: NDP/Private Sector Olympic Bid?

Post by Al Czervic »

usquebaugh wrote:Oh, and Al, I should have been more specific in my last post, do you have any sites (beyond those run by the BC Liberals) that clearly show the NDP's active role in the Olympic bid?

Here is a CBC New story from 1998 regarding Vancouver’s and BC’s securing of the Bid for the 2010 Olympic Games. What is fascinating is NDP Premier Glen Clark’s commenting even back then that the Sea-to-Sky hwy would need to be upgraded. BC Liberal researchers much have missed that little nugget; given all of the NDP’s criticism of the project ever since.

Do you need more proof that the NDP started the 2010 bid process back in 1998 or is this enough for you ?

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/1998/12/ ... 81201.html
Back with a vengeance
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

usquebaugh wrote:Oh, and Al, I should have been more specific in my last post, do you have any sites (beyond those run by the BC Liberals) that clearly show the NDP's active role in the Olympic bid?

Found another site that has the NDP's finger prints all over the 2010 Olympic Bid. Are the NDP actually trying to lie about the NDP past involvement in starting the 2010 bid in the first place ?

http://www.ticketstonight.ca/media/tool ... .php?id=14
Back with a vengeance
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

Found another major bombshell on this.....

November 12

Then-B.C. Premier Glen Clark signs Participation Agreement with the City of Vancouver, protecting the city against cost overruns, damages or losses.

December 1

I think the BC Liberals must be asleep at the wheels to not be telling the public about this stuff. I am going to forward this to the party and make them aware of this stuff......
Back with a vengeance
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

Al Czervic wrote:

Here is a CBC New story from 1998 regarding Vancouver’s and BC’s securing of the Bid for the 2010 Olympic Games. What is fascinating is NDP Premier Glen Clark’s commenting even back then that the Sea-to-Sky hwy would need to be upgraded. BC Liberal researchers much have missed that little nugget; given all of the NDP’s criticism of the project ever since.

Do you need more proof that the NDP started the 2010 bid process back in 1998 or is this enough for you ?

No, I saw that they had provided funding in the amount of $50,000, but I wanted to have a clearer statement of their actual participation in the bid (meaning the amount of campaigning for the bid and a clearer picture of the funds provided by the provincial government). Even the news article that you provided the link to only makes this connection to the NDP:

The B.C. bid was highly favoured because Whistler's superb ski mountain. There is still much a lot of work left to do, says B.C. Premier Glen Clark, including improving the road between Vancouver and Whistler.

On the other hand, that same article makes it very clear that
Vancouver-Whistler spent over $1 million to promote its bid for the Games. Corporate sponsors donated the funds, hoping an Olympics game in Vancouver will bring as much revenue into the city as the highly successful Expo '86 did over a decade ago.

Of the more than $1,000,000 used to promote the bid, I only see that NDP government provided roughly 5% of the funds.

I'm not saying that they weren't in power when the bid began, but I am also not yet convinced that the government itself was pulling all the strings behind the bid, even if Waddell was involved.

Al wrote:Found another site that has the NDP's finger prints all over the 2010 Olympic Bid. Are the NDP actually trying to lie about the NDP past involvement in starting the 2010 bid in the first place?

All right, so the then-BC Tourism Minister kicked off the bid (I had to hunt for the dates when he was in office, because the link you provided me with says he was a Former Minister in 1998, so they really should have said "Then-BC Tourism Minister" instead. To quote House: "Clarification: It's a beautiful thing."). I'll give you that much, but as to the monetary aspect of the bid, I've still only got the initial $50,000, and it is the finances that concern me the most, since we've been talking about the cost of the Olympics from the Liberals initial promises regarding the cost, and the actual amount. From what I've read about the bid, I see mostly corporate sponsorship, but I agree with that it had the NDP and the Liberal governments' backing.

September 23, 1998
Former B.C. Tourism Minister Ian Waddell and the Bid Society received strong support for the Bid initiative in Ottawa following a meeting with all B.C. members of parliament and senators.

November 12, 1998
Former Premier Glen Clark signed the Participation Agreement with the City of Vancouver, which indemnified the city against financial obligations, over and above the city's normal day-to-day costs related to the Bid or as a result of hosting the Games.

December 1, 1998
The COC chose Vancouver as Canada's Bid city for 2010. The City of Vancouver signed a formal 20-page legal agreement pledging to work with the COC to present the Bid to the IOC in the best possible manner on behalf of Canada and its athletes.

June 11, 1999
The Vancouver 2010 Bid Corporation was formed to succeed the original Bid Society. The four anchor partners included the Canadian Olympic Committee, the Province of British Columbia, the City of Vancouver and the Resort Municipality of Whistler.

March 9, 2000
TELUS signed on as the Bid's first major corporate supporter, committing $3 million in cash and services. Since then, 275 corporations, businesses and organizations have signed on to help fund the Bid, including Tourism Vancouver, contributing more than $15 million in cash and value-in-kind.

Do you really think people will care if the NDP government provided the original Bid Corporation with $50,000, when the Liberals are now going to spend billions? Also, if the Liberals thought it was going to be so expensive, why didn't they campaign in 2000 to stop the Olympic bid and put the money into education, the legal system, and health care instead? Oh right. They had their corporate sponsors to think of. Do you think the Liberals will want to go after the NDP at the expense of giving the Olympics any bad press?
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

:sunshine:
Last edited by logicalview on Apr 17th, 2009, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not afraid to say "It".
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

Oh, and Al, if you don't mind, could you let us know what the Liberals said when you passed on the information to them? :127:
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

:sunshine:
Last edited by logicalview on Apr 17th, 2009, 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not afraid to say "It".
usquebaugh
Guru

Liberal Response

Post by usquebaugh »

If you don't want to post it on the board, Al, you can also send it to me in a PM, if that would make you more comfortable about sharing said information. Thanks in advance. I suppose I could just wait and see whether or not the Liberals' change their campaign status, but I'm feeling impatient today! :bethecoffee:
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

usquebaugh wrote:[b]Do you really think people will care if the NDP government provided the original Bid Corporation with $50,000,

Absolutly because it was the NDP who started this whole mess and now are bitching, bashing and bellyaching about them when it was them who endorsed them from the beginning.

usquebaugh wrote:Do you think the Liberals will want to go after the NDP at the expense of giving the Olympics any bad press?

Probably not, because there are bigger fish to fry. The NDP want to fight anything and everything with words and innuendo. They haven't matured yet to see that you have to know when to pick your fights.

The real issue here is the economy. That's what British Columbians are concerned about. It's hellarious to see Campbell toss out a bus pass bone and watch the NDP'ers waste valuable election time on it.
Not afraid to say "It".

Return to “B.C. Provincial Election 2009”