Are atheists against religion or against Christianity?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Re: Are atheists against religion or against Christianity?

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Puffy wrote:I know

Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened. :sunshine:
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

zzontar wrote:
Born_again wrote: Would you have been able to guess that my daughter goes to church(both of her parents are atheists, btw)? Or would you have guessed that I had her under a doubleplusgodhate regime?

Actually, I do find it surprising, seeing as religious indoctrination probably wasn't a factor, and how many kids would make a choice that involves giving up sleeping in on Sundays? I had a best friend who was atheist, both his parents were as well... funny thing is that his sister became a Hare Krishna. I find a lot of kids even end up driving the same make of vehicle as their parents, so again, I find it surprising as most kids probably assume their parents know the right choices to make... until they hit their teens of course... then they somehow know it all. :127:

. :dyinglaughing: You're right there!
My daughter exhibits strong traits of caring and compassion for people, society and the natural world. While I can take partial credit for the 'natural world' aspect, for people and society my input was largely diminished, and more likely negative.
For a small proportion of her causes, the church was a 'natural' vessel; the physical infrastructure, if you like. This is not a situation I savour, obviously, but due to historical tradition and more-than favourable happenstance, churches are well endowed to mobilise and execute charitable drives/causes/relief, and eminently so at short notice.
I do feel a tad envious of this grandfathered situation, but only in a way that would spurn me onwards to level the playing field. In the ideal(my) world, a 'vessel' for altruism should come with no strings attached, and the situation is in no way bleak.
You've had your 'surprise', zzontar, so how about hearing of mine?
My daughter's fervour for scientific enquiry exceeds that of mine; and for that I am envious. I've never actively encouraged her fervour, other than attempting to answer 'those' tricky questions she asks. Why the envy? Simple, and for those that love to point-out my insulting ways, I make no apology: her mind is organic, or free-range, if you will. I was not so lucky at that age.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

soulra wrote:
Puffy wrote:I know

Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened. :sunshine:

:coffeecanuck:

Wow...pretty smart and original.
You're my hero :127:
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

soulra wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:
soulra wrote:
zzontar wrote:I guess then you belittle and ridicule them... if not, why not?

Yup, beat them silly too. Spare the rod, spoil the child as they say....

Except that's not what "Spare the rod, spoil the child" means.

Um, yeah, whatever you say. Let me guess, you invert it. Spoil the child, spare the rod. Nice way of reinterpreting something that you would find unacceptable in your holy book into something more palatable. I haven't seen that one before....nope not ever.

Do you want to try another guess? No wait, don’t bother. I’ll explain it to you. Consider it in the context of the times in which it was written (one step in critical thought); when Sheppard’s guided their flocks of sheep with long rods. Taken almost literally then, the expression means “Spare the guidance, spoil the child” and has literally nothing to do with corporal punishment.

By the way, it's certainly not my Holy Book, but I do have some ability to critically evaluate the writing. Not surprising that you would come up with some other twisted definition though.
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

I don't know if all versions of rods being used on children in the bible would fit the view of guidance only.

good website here: http://www.religioustolerance.org/spankin13.htm
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

Hellomynameis wrote:I don't know if all versions of rods being used on children in the bible would fit the view of guidance only.

good website here: http://www.religioustolerance.org/spankin13.htm

Quite an eye-opener for sure. It just got increasingly disturbing as I scrolled down the text. I gave up once I got to this horror of horrors:

ImageAccording to the StopTheRod.net web site, Clyde and Twyla Bullock once manufactured, advertised, and sold "The Rod," shown here, to whip children. According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the rod is a "22-inch, $5 white nylon whipping stick... Named after the biblical 'rod of correction,' the Rod provides 'a faith-based way to discipline children ... and train them as Christians,' [Twyla] Bullock explains."

The rod's designer, Clyde Bullocks is a Southern Baptist. This design appears to be his interpretation of the "rod" mentioned in the book of Proverbs. Their advertisement read: "Spoons are for cooking. Belts are for holding up pants. Hands are for loving. RODS are for chastening." It refers to the rod as "the means prescribed by God," citing Proverbs 23:13-14: "Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell." 7,8,9

There is actually an ergonomically designed handle FCOL!! I'm sure the thoughtfully designed handle helps prevent slippage, enabling the full force of the blow to reach the target.
After noting the "hands are for loving" bit I then realised that there may just be the risk of sweaty palms as the punisher readies the victim, so the handle may also act as a safety device.
Sick indeed.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Born_again wrote:There is actually an ergonomically designed handle FCOL!! I'm sure the thoughtfully designed handle helps prevent slippage, enabling the full force of the blow to reach the target.
After noting the "hands are for loving" bit I then realised that there may just be the risk of sweaty palms as the punisher readies the victim, so the handle may also act as a safety device.
Sick indeed.

It's called sadomastochristism. Pain is good...look what He DID for YOU! /guiltshame/ Feeeeel the love.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

steven lloyd wrote:By the way, it's certainly not my Holy Book,

And yet your defenses are so eloquent.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Keep it on topic, stop with the personal jabs.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

Jo wrote:Keep it on topic, stop with the personal jabs.

thanx Jo...those pics were so not appropriate, but then again, this thread has taken a down turn turn lately.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

*removed - Jennylives
They say you can't believe everything they say.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

All this childish anymosity and discord is so unecessary.
Here's an example of the potential for Christian/Atheist harmony:

Your Pets Will Not Be Flagged For Removal By Jesus During the Rapture
Craigslist - Date: 2008-06-19, 3:59PM CDT

Have you ever thought about what will happen to your pets after Jesus comes back to claim the souls of the saved during the Rapture and deliver them to heaven to enjoy ever lasting life? The bible clearly teaches that only those that have accepted Jesus as their savior will enter heaven (John 14:6, Romans 3:23), and we all know that pets do not have the cognitive ability to do this, so what will happen to your beloved pets? Surely without you there, they would be stuck inside your empty house, starving to death with no one to feed them, let them out to potty, or clean their litter box. This is probably not what you envision for your pets after you are gone. This is where I come in.

I am here to offer you pet care service for after the rapture. As an atheist, I will surely still be here on this earth post rapture and would love to look after your pets for a small fee and make sure they are still well taken care of after you and your family have been raptured. You will be able to look down on them from heaven and see them being well cared for by me and living happy, healthy lives. Do not let my atheism scare you! I am a moral and loving pet owner and would never do harm to any animal.

For a small deposit of only $50, you can be assured that your pets will be well cared for from the time that you are raptured until the end of their natural life. They will get adequate amounts of food, water, and shelter as well as plenty of exercise and socialization as I would imagine there will be a lot of pets that will be abandoned by Jesus the pet hater that will need to be cared for.

If interested, please email me for my PayPal address (you can also send me a check if you prefer) so you can assure that your pets will be taken care of after Jesus comes to take your soul to heaven. $50 is only a small price to pay to know that while you are enjoying everlasting bliss, your pets will be cared for until their end days.

Thanks and have a great day!
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

sobrohusfat wrote:All this childish anymosity and discord is so unecessary.

Isn't it strange how that seems to be such a difficult concept for some?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

sobrohusfat wrote:All this childish anymosity and discord is so unecessary.
Here's an example of the potential for Christian/Atheist harmony:

Your Pets Will Not Be Flagged For Removal By Jesus During the Rapture
Craigslist - Date: 2008-06-19, 3:59PM CDT

Have you ever thought about what will happen to your pets after Jesus comes back to claim the souls of the saved during the Rapture and deliver them to heaven to enjoy ever lasting life? The bible clearly teaches that only those that have accepted Jesus as their savior will enter heaven (John 14:6, Romans 3:23), and we all know that pets do not have the cognitive ability to do this, so what will happen to your beloved pets? Surely without you there, they would be stuck inside your empty house, starving to death with no one to feed them, let them out to potty, or clean their litter box. This is probably not what you envision for your pets after you are gone. This is where I come in.

I am here to offer you pet care service for after the rapture. As an atheist, I will surely still be here on this earth post rapture and would love to look after your pets for a small fee and make sure they are still well taken care of after you and your family have been raptured. You will be able to look down on them from heaven and see them being well cared for by me and living happy, healthy lives. Do not let my atheism scare you! I am a moral and loving pet owner and would never do harm to any animal.

For a small deposit of only $50, you can be assured that your pets will be well cared for from the time that you are raptured until the end of their natural life. They will get adequate amounts of food, water, and shelter as well as plenty of exercise and socialization as I would imagine there will be a lot of pets that will be abandoned by Jesus the pet hater that will need to be cared for.

If interested, please email me for my PayPal address (you can also send me a check if you prefer) so you can assure that your pets will be taken care of after Jesus comes to take your soul to heaven. $50 is only a small price to pay to know that while you are enjoying everlasting bliss, your pets will be cared for until their end days.

Thanks and have a great day!

You do realize that this is an evil atheist making fun of the rapture. He's mocking your beliefs, get him! He is also taking advantage of people who actually think they are going to get raptured away.
Scamming money off of the mentally ill is bad, m'kay.
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

An atheist-religion thread at 17 pages deep is the cream and honey that baths over the wretched child labour that powers the interwebs.

Saviour it well friends because the mods are gonna ruin this dream before it gets off the ground, starve the interwebs they will. I mean do you really think "Are atheists against religion or against Christianity?" is a legitimate topic? The question isn't a question its a catalyst for fuel creation to power the hate machine that creates the cream to feed to bees who make the honey that lubes the cogs of the child labour that POWERs the interwebs!

GOD!

Even I knew this from the get go, my 18monther had a handle on this in the womb for crying out loud!

Trollhard and troll deep, right to page 17!

And there lies the rub because mods love page 17 and mods ruin everything every time for all time. It takes a steady hand and... ah, and.. CONVICTION to be stoic in the face of this internet abortion attempt. Hold true and march onto 18 my brothers and female units.

Repeat after me, Off topic is the topic! Off topic is the topic! Off topic is the topic!
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”