Re: BC-STV Electoral Reform Referendum May 12, 2009

Post by kelownalife »

Amen strikes and gutters....Amen!!!
I instigate.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Why I don't like the BC-STV proposal

Post by Glacier »

Good post Strikes&Gutters. What is really starting to bug me is the "Power up your vote" slogan. Instead of focusing on the facts, they have resorted to some energy drink style marketing campaign.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Re: Why I don't like the BC-STV proposal

Post by Homeownertoo »

Glacier wrote:Good post Strikes&Gutters. What is really starting to bug me is the "Power up your vote" slogan. Instead of focusing on the facts, they have resorted to some energy drink style marketing campaign.

That's because it's a propaganda campaign, not an informational campaign.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
Putz

Post by Putz »

I was becoming confused with the additional concepts in voting possibilities. Thanks for bringing it back on track. The last posts reflect my feelings exactly. there may be no "NO" sign on my front yard, but there will be one on my ballot, and that's the one that really counts. I'm not a great supporter of coalitions which would likely happen in order to get things done. I also have a problem with "60% didn't vote them in". I look at it and say, "40% didn't vote in 30%, or 18%, or 12% in". In the US there are many who don't like the two party system. As stated earlier, no system is perfect, but the present one has worked fairly well IMO (unless the other guy gets voted in, then not :) ).
The career chemophobes are universally afflicted with a peculiar myopia that allows them to hallucinate molehills of bad consequences of the use of chemicals while totally ignoring the mountains of benefits from their use. (From JunkScience.Com )
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

Assembly Talker wrote:Hello Everyone,

I am a former member of the Citizens Assembly on Electoral Reform for BC. On May 12, 2009, with our Provincial election, all of us will be voting for a second time on the proposed change to our electoral system, BC-STV, as proposed by the Assembly that I was a part of.

I encourage all of you to take the time to study our recommendation, to review what you believe as important to you when electing your representatives to your legislature. There are many great resources online to review. Search Citizens Assembly, or Electoral Reform, BC, and you will find a multitude of information.

In the meantime, if you have questions, I will do my best to answer them for you from the perspective of what the Assembly believed when we put the proposal forward in 2005.

Do you have a comment on the questionable quality of the BC-STV advertising modules? Go here:

http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=18242&p=492268#p492268
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum

Return to “STV Referendum Discussion”