Mary-Ann Graham - BC Conservatives

Al Czervic
Guru

Re: Mary-Ann Graham - BC Conservatives

Post by Al Czervic »

No offence to Alan Clarke; I am certain he is a nice guy much as you have indicated; however as an independent even if he was elected he would be able to deliver squat to this riding. Even if he was elected as an “official” opposition candidate the riding would still suffer. Much as was the case when the NDP was in power the Okanagan got ignored.

As for the BC Conservatives; I don’t know much about them. I like some of the party platform; but I do see some Christian fundamentalist and borderline racist positions on other issues that I would find troubling. Federally the Harper Conservatives have wisely moved away from these issues and for whatever reason the BC Conservatives seem more focussed on them.

I do agree with you that as far as I can tell the leader is self anointed and all of his candidates thus far also seem to be equally anointed. Many I have observed are either cast offs or wanabees from other parties. I certainly can understand why the Federal Conservatives are steering clear of them; in spite of their efforts to try and ride on Harper’s coattails.

More importantly the focus should be on the partys policies and I do think they have some good ideas. I wish the party had moved to a fully costed platform because they promise more spending in many areas; and eliminating many taxes in others. I see that they support offshore oil and gas (as do I) so I wonder if that is how they propose to spend more with less tax revenue? In some respects the BC Conservative Platform reminds me a bit of Jack Layton. It is easy to promise the world in your platform when you will never be elected to actually have to account for your unrealistic claims.

Either way I say make a point of going out and voting for whoever you think can do the best job in the riding; that is the beauty of democracy.
Back with a vengeance
mileslehn

Post by mileslehn »

Mary Ann: I want to congratulate you on stating that you will monitor the forum concerning postings about your candidacy. I have been following all the candidates in the forum and you are the only one who has shown that you care what people have to say and that you respond to the postings. To me that is a sure sign of someone who gives a damn. Sounds like you would be responsive to all constituents concerns not just those who voted for you. Keep standing up for honesty, justice, accountability and Conservative fiscal management and i am sure you will be noticed by the voters. I do not wish to embarrass you however do you live in the riding and if not why would you not run where you live. It has been said that Mr. Letnik does not live in the riding and do you see that as a slap in the face to voters.
Mary-Ann

Post by Mary-Ann »

Thank you for your comments. I have stated several times in my brochure, at public forums, in the newspaper articles and on the radio that I have lived in the riding of Kelowna Lake-Country for 14 years. My restaurant is across the street but my residence is Kelowna-Lake Country. My family and I will be able to vote for me. I think it is very important to live in the riding that one wishes to represent. I do not see it as a slap in the face of voters that Norm does not live in the riding, however, I do see it as a drawback for him. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to point out this important fact to the voters.

Mary-Ann
Matthew Reed
Fledgling

Post by Matthew Reed »

Hi Mary - Ann.

People sure do get fired up in here, wooo.

Nice to see another candidate that is answering questions and not ducking conversations!!!

Blessings,

Matt
mileslehn

Post by mileslehn »

With your limited experience in the Liberal nomination process and given the skulldugery in removing Joe Cardosso, would you agree that the process for choosing Liberal Candidates has less to do with the party members choices and wishes and more to do with what Gordon Campbell wants. Would you agree that the members wishes should be respected? Sometimes it takes a rude awaking to realize that a Power Monger is in charge, as in Joes case. What counts is that a quality candidate is now a Conservative one that,by all accounts will be elected. With your genuine concern for the people in your riding hopefully you will be one of the Conservatives elected this time around.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I like your responses Mary-Ann. . .

I do know I am not voting liberal or ndp. The independent was interesting, but a certain follower who seems to suffer from a stuck capslock has dissuaded me by their behaviour. (Do the people who overbold and abuse capslock just not get that they do their candidate no favours?)

At any rate, I am definitely leaning in your direction.
I haven't failed until I quit.
mileslehn

Post by mileslehn »

I would like to see proof that Mary-Ann signed Letnicks nomination papers. I'll bet this an attempt to smear Mary-Ann. This is ludicrous and absurd. I have never heard of such a ridulous allegation. No one would sign their opponents nomination papers and if this the kind of mud raking the NDP have stooped to this shows their desperation to discredit the Conservative candidate. Remember Conservatives don't let Conservatives vote Liberal.
damngrumpy
Übergod

Post by damngrumpy »

I too have heard the statement about signing Norms papers but remember this is BC politics where
everything is posible. I don't like the social conservative agenda nor do I support private insurance companies in the auto insurance business. I have problems with every party running including the independent candidate, its tough. What has happend is the old conservative, liberal agenda in this
province is slowly coming apart, and we are heading back to the period prior to the 1972 election, the fun times are coming back around. And yest this candidate was a Liberal until recently, but in a democracy its crazy but not illegal lol
damngrumpy
Übergod

Post by damngrumpy »

Mary-Ann, I don't agree with a lot of your policy but I do commend you for participating in the forum
discussions, along with the some of the others. Al Clarke thinks he is too good to participate and he lets his wife do his talking for him, at least you speak with your own convictions as doses one of
your other opponents, from the NDP. Some people only want to speak to a scripted message, others don't seem to understand what is going on and the independent doesn't want to speak directly to constituents in the new medium at all. I think the Conservative message will be hard on
the Liberals in this province and well it should they didn't look after the average persons interests
for the last 8 years
Mary-Ann

Post by Mary-Ann »

This is going a little too far. Anybody that was at the forum on the 29th would know that this was a Westside-Kelowna Forum and I was not even present to make any comment of any kind. I was at the DKA Meet & Greet from 5-7 and then at the BC-STV information session at the Sandman from 7:15 to about 9:00. There is absolutely no reason for lies to be used in this forum. My own respect for the Alan Clarke campaign has definitely been lost at this time.

We have no platform to state that the blame is on the people who are caught in this depressing situation. It appears that Peter was totally misquoted in the post above. Per the Capital News Friday, May 1, page A6, Peter is quoted to say on his own behalf that "single mothers should have an option to adopt out their children,...Many of those children would go to loving parents who are having difficulty getting children and (children) would get out of poverty". Peter was talking based on his own personal experience.

I believe that we need to ensure that there are resources available for children and their families to get out of their impoverish situation. The government needs to implement a strategy that has definite goals, timelines and benchmarks to address this very important issue.
I am an original member of CATCH, I sit on the Kelowna Women's and Community Issues Advisory Committee, donate to various organizations that help people on the streets, and I have stood on the corner waving a placard to stop homelessness. For me to be accused of anything less than having compassion for these innocent vulnerable people is beyond insulting and irresponsible and a slap in the face of all those that I have worked with in the past.

1. I have lived in the Central Okanagan for 15 years and 14 of those years in the Kelowna-Lake Country riding.
2. I grew up in New Westminster, lived in Surrey as an adult until receiving a transfer to Kelowna with BC Tel (Telus) in 1994.
3. I was one of those employees who lost their jobs when Telus downsized in 2002. I was in the phone mart in Orchard Park Mall and was one of the first to go. I know what is like to be unemployed for no fault of my own.
4. My husband and I own Maggie's Cafe in Plaza 33 which is in the Kelowna-Mission riding and serve everybody with the same courtesy and smile.
5. I was the Electoral Area Representative for Ellison/Joe Rich on the Regional District Board of the Central Okanagan for 6 years. I had input and made decisions for all of the citizens of the Central Okanagan. I was on almost every regional committee as there was only one of me.
6. I was on the Okanagan Regional Library Board and was the planning committee chair when the Rutland Library was moved to Plaza 33. I aslso served a term as Vice-Chair.
7. I was the director when Ellison had the referendum to approve the relocation of the Ellison Fire Hall and the revitalization of the Ellison Elementary School.
8. I was the director when Joe Rich received its second fire hall on Goudie Rd at the request of the residents. I was the director when Joe Rich received its own set of bylaws through the Rural Land Use Bylaw.
9. I was on the Joe Rich Executive as the Vice-President, chair of the RLUB steering committee, helped paint the Joe Rich Community Hall sign and volunteered for many community events.
10. I am the President of the Rutland Residents Association. I was the project coordinator jointly with the city to put in the playground in Lion's Park. I am the representative on many stakeholder groups for the Association. I served one term as 2nd Vice-President.
11. I am on the Uptown Rutland Business Association board.
12. I am a director for the Rutland Park Society. My husband is the President.
13. I am on the board for St John Ambulance.
14. I am on the board for Crossroads.
15. I am the vice-chair for the Central Okanagan Stimulant Abuse Task Force.
16. I am on the board for Festivals Kelowna.
17. I am on Kelowna's Women's and Community Issues Advisroy Committee.
18. I was on the Spring Valley Middle School PAC Executive and one of three parents on the first School Planning Committee. I was on two dry grad committees.
19. In Surrey, I was the President of the School PAC for 3 years. I was a Vice-President of the local Softball Association as well as a coach.
20. In New Westminster, I taught Sunday School for 18 years, ten of those years I was the Superintendent. I was the youngest and first female to be in this position. I also sang in the choir.
21. I was a member of the local Residents Association in Surrey.
22. I grew up in the Presbyterian Church. I was a Sunday School Teacher and one of the music leaders at St David's. We now attend Willow Park Church because my daughter was attending the youth group there and it was closer to home.
23. I am a 30k club member.
24. I go out on Community Clean-up Day and pick up garbage and clean graffiti.
25. I am a supporter of Freedom's Door.
26. I am a card carrying Federal Conservative and have been since Ron Cannan personally signed me up to help him win the Conservative nomination (over Norm Letnick and Ben Stewart).
27. I joined the Liberals 5 years ago, when Al Horning personally signed me up to help him win the Liberal nomination. He was the best person for the job.
28. The Liberals did not drop me or turn me down. I chose not to run for many reasons. One being that I did not live in the Kelowna-Mission riding. I did not believe enough in the Liberals to be front and centre. I became disillusioned with the Liberals.
29. I joined the BC Conservatives because they match my philosophy.
30. I signed Norm Letnick's nomination papers to be a candidate in September (or there abouts). At that time he was going to move to Rutland. In December, I found out that he was not moving.
31. One should be able to amend their opinions when new information is presented. One cannot continue to follow a path if circumstances change. It is the bigger person who can admit that things change.
32. Just as a note, many Liberals are throwbacks from the Conservatives and Social Credit.
33. At BC Tel/Telus, I was a shop steward and a member of the safety committee.
34. I have always been a fighter for the underdog those that can't or won't stand up for themselves.
35. I have acted on beliefs with advice, assistance and even my own money.
36. I believe that we as individuals can make a difference.
37. I respect anybody and everybody that stands up for what they believe in. All those who have put their name forward in this election deserve your admiration. You don't have to agree with their opinions but give them credit for having the courage.
38. I do not know everything but want to know as much as I can. I love to learn new things to help make me a better person.
39. Tom and I have 5 daughters and 5 grandchildren.
40. We haven't lived here all our lives but have made sure that we have contributed to the betterment of our communities in one way or another for 15 years.
41. Grassroots does not refer to where I came from but from where the direction for decision- making comes from. I believe the people should be dictating what they wish to see in their own community. People before Party.
42. Yes, I was appointed as the candidate because there is not a Constituency Association in Kelowna-Lake Country. According to the rules of Elections BC, one can not hold a nomination campaign without a Constituency Association. We are working on setting one up now.
43. I have a diploma from Douglas College and my Level II from the Purchasing Management Association of Canada.

1. If elected MLA for Kelowna-Lake Country, I wish to set up advisory groups in each of the communities to keep me up to date on events and issues occurring in each community.
2. I would propose to re-introduce the idea of a community Health Advisory Committee like the one that I was on before IHA came into existence.
3. The MLA office is the constituency office and is not the Liberal, NDP, Conservative or Green office. The office serves all people.
4. People will be treated as assets rather than liabilities in the Health Care System.
5. All will have the opportunity to reach their potential through the education system.
6. Environment is not a special interest but a thread that is interwoven into every aspect of the government.
7. Government needs to look at the services that are provided in a holistic view so that the pillars (ministries) do not work in a vacuum and provide the proper resources to serve all people across the spectrum. The ministries are interlinked and need to act accordingly.
8. I believe in balance. We need to balance the economy, environment, services and infrastructure.
9. I believe that nobody should live in poverty, especially not children.
10. I believe in hope and helping those less fortunate to help themselves up.

I have probably missed something along the way, but I am getting tired now. I do not like to toot my own horn but I could not sit back and read the posts on all the candidates' forums and keep quiet anymore. I can name drop like the best of them but it is not who you know but who you are and what you are going to try to do for the people. If you wish, I will try to compile a complete list of important people that I have met. If the above activity list is not complete enough, I could name every single committee that I sat on for the Regional District and many more.

I have been charged with being an idealist many times and I am. I believe that if you don't have a vision to work towards, that you will get no where at all. Of course idealism must be tempered with reality.

Please remember when you sling mud at a candidate you are hurting those that they love and support them as well. The candidate might have grown a tougher skin but there is no reason to get personal enough to hurt their family because they haven't.

There have been some false statements made that I believe should be rescinded such as the Nazi comment and putting words in my mouth that were never spoken. I will gladly accept your apology as I do not believe in holding grudges.

In a way, I thank you for getting my passions going, as I have read what I have written and know that I have earned my stripes. I have what it takes, experience in politics, business, community and the passion to be the best darn MLA this riding has ever seen. I also thank you, for forcing me to toot my own horn, as one can not get out who or what one is all about, in one or two minute snippets at public forums or in 50 to 200 words in surveys.

Sincerely

Mary-Ann Graham
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Hi Mary-Ann,

As Fluffy and Hellomynameis have suggested, I think you are being plagued by one troll using multiple identities.

I very much appreciate you setting the record straight, and hope that being exposed to this darker side of electronic media does not discourage you from posting. There are supporters for you here.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

For starters, thank you for taking the time to post here.

Mary-Ann wrote:4. People will be treated as assets rather than liabilities in the Health Care System.

To do that, make sure the health care has the funding it needs! I keep hearing about the shortages of nurses, but I also hear of hospitals running understaffed to stay within budgets. Get the hospitals and care centres the funding they need and let them get the staff they need, and your quality of care will go up!

9. I believe that nobody should live in poverty, especially not children.

I don't expect an answer to this, but IMO you have to defeat the "Sunshine tax" mentality that has dominated this area. Cost of living here has gone up significantly, but wages haven't. We're expected to live in cardboard boxes and be glad that we have the opportunity to live here. Just check out some of the threads on jobs and you'll see what I mean.

If you wish, I will try to compile a complete list of important people that I have met.

I wouldn't bother. "Meeting" someone doesn't automatically make you "connected". Some people are smart enough to see through that, and I don't see the need to stoop to that level.

There have been some false statements made that I believe should be rescinded such as the Nazi comment and putting words in my mouth that were never spoken.

S'okay, I don't think his supporters are getting him much votes. The American-style mud slinging tactics only work in the states.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Gaetane Daigle

Post by Gaetane Daigle »

*wrong thread/Jo*
Freefalling

Post by Freefalling »

Good job Mary-Anne, you have earned a lot of respect from this forum, I say! And yes, do not worry, you have made your case stronger through continuing to engage in the forum and setting the facts straight!

I hate to ask, but what is the position of the BC Conservatives on homelessness? Would you say that the opting to give children up for adoption is a band-aid solution? Do you think that we need to go 'grassroots' on this situation?

I just feel that because people are poor does not mean that they should give up responsibility for their children. I think a better approach would be to provide shelters for women, nutrition classes and help these parents raise their children with income assistance. For instance, investing in after school sports that kids can enjoy for free so they don't (or hopefully won't) become involved in drugs/drinking and so that their parents can work later hours. Any other ideas?

It seems that this was not well thought out, to me anyways. Also, what do you think about the recent homelessness study in Kelowna? Any comments anyone? What can we do to help those who are less fortunate while sustaining a healthy economy and avoid overspending? (Article: http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#46660)
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

theferniefinch wrote:....
I hate to ask, but what is the position of the BC Conservatives on homelessness? Would you say that the opting to give children up for adoption is a band-aid solution? Do you think that we need to go 'grassroots' on this situation?....

I think Mary-Ann needs to clearly address this question.
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan

Return to “Kelowna-Lake Country”