Are atheists against religion or against Christianity?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Re: Are atheists against religion or against Christianity?

Post by Mr Danksworth »

What was foretold? That humanity would eventually evolve out of the need for 'gods' and silly superstitions.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

Good homework assignment for you soulra.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Let me guess....fairlds.org. :136:
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
lancewrd

Post by lancewrd »

While I truly believe that Jesus is the only way...
For your sakes you better hope that I am wrong. Jesus was either: a)a madman, b)a liar, or c)telling the truth. If a) or b) is the case, then so be it, I die with no fear of death and quite happily for that matter. If c) is the case, then good for me and sucks to be anyone who believes a) or b).
Either way, when all is said and done, there is no way you will lie on your deathbed and not wonder if Jesus was telling the truth when he said "I am the way, the truth and the life." Deny it all you want, but there is no way...
Cool thing about it is, science will have its way at that point. The only way to truly test out whether or not hell is real is to die. Have fun with your little experiment :popcorn:
(if you do have legitimate, non-rhetorical questions, feel free to email me)

(sorry, I know it's a little off topic, but I always want to jump into atheist/christian discussions)
:clueless:
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

lancewrd wrote:While I truly believe that Jesus is the only way...
For your sakes you better hope that I am wrong. Jesus was either: a)a madman, b)a liar, or c)telling the truth. If a) or b) is the case, then so be it, I die with no fear of death and quite happily for that matter. If c) is the case, then good for me and sucks to be anyone who believes a) or b).
Either way, when all is said and done, there is no way you will lie on your deathbed and not wonder if Jesus was telling the truth when he said "I am the way, the truth and the life." Deny it all you want, but there is no way...
Cool thing about it is, science will have its way at that point. The only way to truly test out whether or not hell is real is to die. Have fun with your little experiment :popcorn:
(if you do have legitimate, non-rhetorical questions, feel free to email me)

(sorry, I know it's a little off topic, but I always want to jump into atheist/christian discussions)
:clueless:

If you're trying to cover all the possible bases, you should have added one to the above, d) did not exist.

For you to state that every single person on their deathbed is going to be wondering if Jesus was the telling the truth, etc., is silly. You can't possibly know what every human being is going to be thinking about on their deathbed, if anything at all. What about Muslims? Do you think they're going to be pondering that question? What about Hindus? What about atheists? Do you really think at the end of their lives they're going to be laying there wondering if they got it wrong? There's just as much possibility in the thought that an atheist on his deathbed is likely to wonder if he should have paid more attention to Shiva.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

Debunking Pascal's wager is taught in atheism 101, sure the above is a variant of the wager but the argument is still the same "but what if I'm right"... For the sake of lancewrd's reading and viewing convenience, links:

http://www.update.uu.se/~fbendz/nogod/pascal.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9WRG4e6m2s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X94YffpUryo

Also, I've been with two atheists on their deathbeds and I've read works by prominent atheists who were staring near imminent death in the face. The family member and friend passing away were the more powerful experiences for me even if only anecdotal but in either case: great peace and not a worry about religion.

Personally I do view death as a great experiment, it is the ultimate litmus test of almost all religions and of all fanciful and hereto unknown secular possibilities of 'something' after death. Of course I do not believe there is any evidence or any likelihood of anything happening after death beyond a redistribution of mundane matter/energy but I think I can spare some time from being dead to perform the experiment. *wink*
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Hellomynameis wrote: Personally I do view death as a great experiment, ...

It has been said that death is the greatest rush. Therefore, one should save it for last.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

steven lloyd wrote:It has been said that death is the greatest rush.

Whoever said that ????? And who did they say it to??? :dyinglaughing:
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

steven lloyd wrote:It has been said that death is the greatest rush. Therefore, one should save it for last.

Whenever I mention my own death on this forum the above is always the reply, always!
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”