NDP Platform to raise the Price of Beer

BC's provincial election and STV referendum takes place Tuesday May 12th.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: NDP Platform to raise the Price of Beer

Post by Glacier »

Wow, thanks for posting, Al! I learn so much more on Castanet than the news sites.

One more question: How is the BCGEU able to get such sweet salaries for their members? When I was looking for work last year (as an engineer) the Ministry of Transportation offered me a lower wage than ANY other private sector firm I looked into. When adding in benefits, it probably came out similar.

How come some BCGEU members like the position I looked into pay market wages, but most others offer at least double the market wages? As an engineer with MoT I would have belonged to the union and APEGBC.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Al you are making claims that it costs so much more to run a government run liquor store than a private one, and that the government makes so much more from private. I'm sure you are right but was just wondering if there is anywhere a person can see the breakdown of costs for a government run store. I highly doubt it but it should be as we are the investors in that company. I would like to see the costs all things considered.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Homeownertoo wrote: You have to ask how a party would behave in power when they so effortlessly resort to lying when in opposition.

I suppose they would not be any different than Campbell and the Liberals. They couldn't be any worse. No one could be as blatent and arrogant when it comes to lying as Campbell is.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

logicalview wrote: It's too bad that the news that deficit spending doesn't work can't be broadcast to her lower intestine so that it could reach her head.

I guess she could have a meeting with Stephen Harper and Gordon Campbell since they are all engaging in deficit spending. Maybe we could broacst the news to Gordo's lower intestine. We know we can't broadcast anything more to his liver.
Last edited by steven lloyd on May 3rd, 2009, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Glacier wrote: How come some BCGEU members like the position I looked into pay market wages, ...

Interestingly enough, after five years as a BCGEU member I am finally making the same wage as I was when I left the private and non-government sector. Stats show that wages, including union wages (as a whole) have not kept up with overall cost of living or price increases yet they (the unions) certainly do make handy scapegoats.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

steven lloyd wrote:
Glacier wrote: How come some BCGEU members like the position I looked into pay market wages, ...

Interestingly enough, after five years as a BCGEU member I am finally making the same wage as I was when I left the private and non-government sector. Stats show that wages, including union wages (as a whole) have not kept up with overall cost of living or price increases yet they (the unions) certainly do make handy scapegoats.

But once employed the BCGEU job is a guaranteed pay cheque for life.
Not afraid to say "It".
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

logicalview wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:

But once employed the BCGEU job is a guaranteed pay cheque for life.

Still (regurgitated rhetoric aside), interestingly enough, after five years as a BCGEU member I am finally making the same wage as I was when I left the private and non-government sector. Stats show that wages, including union wages (as a whole) have not kept up with overall cost of living or price increases yet they (the unions) certainly do make handy scapegoats.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Well, I just picked up a six pack of my favourite pilsener from my favourite private liquor outlet, for which I paid approximately $1.00 more than I would at the Gov't store (but then it is already chilled and the Gov't store is closed on Sundays anyway), ...and am about to sit down in front of the TV to watch "The Leader's Debate" - hoping that I can stay awake through the whole thing perchance to learn something new ;-)

Steven, please do me a favour and dump Campbell's DUI picture from your signature. I would like to respond to some of your posts, but every time I look at it it fills me with so much angst it is difficult to stay civil ;-)

Cheers

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

CaptainAwesome wrote:If it was up to me, cigarettes and beer prices would double.

And I'm not even an NDP supporter.

"CaptainAwesome" I agree, x2,x3 of more. Take it to max. the public would pay.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Nabcom wrote: Steven, please do me a favour and dump Campbell's DUI picture from your signature. I would like to respond to some of your posts, but every time I look at it it fills me with so much angst it is difficult to stay civil ;-)

Cheers

Nab

Sure, I was getting sick of looking at it too. If the Liberal sheeple haven't clued in yet that there are some real moral and ethical, if not criminal concerns associated with this gangster then I'm quite certain they have already disassociated themselves from the very real possibility of that likelihood.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Nabcom wrote:Well, I just picked up a six pack of my favourite pilsener from my favourite private liquor outlet, for which I paid approximately $1.00 more than I would at the Gov't store (but then it is already chilled and the Gov't store is closed on Sundays anyway), ...and am about to sit down in front of the TV to watch "The Leader's Debate" - hoping that I can stay awake through the whole thing perchance to learn something new ;-)

Steven, please do me a favour and dump Campbell's DUI picture from your signature. I would like to respond to some of your posts, but every time I look at it it fills me with so much angst it is difficult to stay civil ;-)

Cheers

Nab

I agree about Campbell's DUI picture. IMO it should be made poster size & placed all over Gordon C. front & rear lawn. ;)
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

steven lloyd wrote:
Homeownertoo wrote: You have to ask how a party would behave in power when they so effortlessly resort to lying when in opposition.

I suppose they would not be any different than Campbell and the Liberals. They couldn't be any worse. No one could be as blatent and arrogant when it comes to lying as Campbell is.

All parties in power lie, and should be held to account for their lies. I thought it interesting that a party in opposition would also lie so transparently. It doesn't bode well for what they'd do in office.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Homeownertoo wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:

All parties in power lie, and should be held to account for their lies. I thought it interesting that a party in opposition would also lie so transparently. It doesn't bode well for what they'd do in office.

I was pointing out that Campbell also lied while in opposition (apparently no so transparently though for the sheeple of this province) and that did not bode well for what has transpired since he has been in office.

Return to “B.C. Provincial Election 2009”