Alberta makes stupidity law

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Alberta makes stupidity law

Post by Mr Danksworth »

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/ ... ml?ref=rss

Evolution classes optional under proposed Alberta law

Education Minister Dave Hancock supports a new bill that would require schools to notify parents in advance about subject matter that deals 'explicitly with religion, sexuality or sexual orientation.'
A controversial Alberta bill will enshrine into law the rights of parents to pull their children out of classes discussing the topics of evolution and homosexuality.

The new rules, which would require schools to notify parents in advance of "subject-matter that deals explicitly with religion, sexuality or sexual orientation," is buried in a bill that extends human rights to homosexuals. Parents can ask for their child to be excluded from the discussion.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Born_again
Guru

Re: Alberta makes stupidity law

Post by Born_again »

. :ohmygod: That'll have some of our B.C. posters slavering at the mouth. One positive outcome is that Newfies might get a break in being the butt(undeservedly) of Canadian jokes at last.
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

Aren't those parents setting their kids up to fail in post-secondary if they don't complete the curriculum? Or do they think that their adult children will be allowed to walk out of university classes and not answer questions on exams if they disagree with the material and still pass? :137:
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Since when is teaching evolution considered religious studies? How about if parents want to teach religious themes to their kids they do it out of the secular public school system?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

IMO

I will be the one to teach MY kids what I feel is best for them...not the school.
Should it not be the parenteral choice?
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Interesting how we have this in Alberta and the Corren Agreement in B.C.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Puffy wrote:IMO, I will be the one to teach MY kids what I feel is best for them...not the school. Should it not be the parenteral choice?

There is a valid concern that parents want some control over the upbringing of their own children. However, we do not live in a vacuum (as some dysfunctional parents and families would prefer), and society is becoming increasingly interdependent as our population increases, and the planet, in effect shrinks. We will either start to learn respect our differences and to value diversity, or we will become a society of clones or we will kill each other off in such numbers that we will eventually be returned to the times of tribes.

Unfortunately, given the dysfunction, fear, intolerance and hate that already exists, we cannot depend on individuals or individual families for progressive evolution. It has to be a collective effort and this requires the involvement of government, the legal and educational systems and of society as a collective whole. If some children need to be educated and challenged not to be as ignorant, bigoted and hate-filled as their parents, then for the greater good and well-being of everyone so be it

writerdave wrote: Interesting how we have this in Alberta and the Corren Agreement in B.C.

So imagine your parents didn't want you to learn about evolution, but after you graduated high school you discovered you wanted to be a scientist. How would that work? Would you have to go back and do school all over again?

So imagine your parents didn't want you to learn the truth about homosexuals, but after you graduated high school you discovered you didn't want to be a bigot anymore. How would that work? Would you have to go back and do growing up all over again?

Disclaimer: these points which have previously been posted elsewhere on these boards are reprinted here with permission of the author.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Born_again wrote: One positive outcome is that Newfies might get a break in being the butt(undeservedly) of Canadian jokes at last.

At least until after the electorate of this province re-elects the criminal Campbell for a third term in our next election. We won't be able to laugh at anybody after that.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

In a way, I hope someone else does form government, if nothing more than to stop seeing you write the word "criminal" in every third post.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

writerdave wrote:In a way, I hope someone else does form government, if nothing more than to stop seeing you write the word "criminal" in every third post.

That would make me so happy as well :130:

(although we need to be prepared to call the next government on it if they resort to criminal behavior as well)
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I hope one day they'll change the school system so it only teaches essentials like math, english, science and other subjects and leave Jesus, Koran, politics, and homosexuality out of school.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

writerdave wrote:In a way, I hope someone else does form government, if nothing more than to stop seeing you write the word "criminal" in every third post.

You know how the mantra goes, "If you say something long enough and loud enough and often enough, the people will believe it."
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

CaptainAwesome wrote:I hope one day they'll change the school system so it only teaches essentials like math, english, science and other subjects and leave Jesus, Koran, politics, and homosexuality out of school.

So we could leave the teaching of subjects like Jesus, the Quran, politics and homosexuality up to ignorant, dysfunctional, hate-filled bigots ? I would personally rather see these topics discussed in a structured and moderated arena where all positions were challenged and students were challenged to develop critical thinking skills and independent thought.

Unfortunately, we now live in a world where the interdependency of society’s members needs to be acknowledged and recognized, and it is an issue that needs to be addressed in a collective manner. You really think this will all sort itself out by leaving it to individual decision? You have heard of the survivalist militia groups already being formed, and the resurgence of the Klu Klux Klan and Neo-Nazi groups? Ya, this move back to the tribe mentality seems so promising.

The First Nations people correctly recognized that it took a community to raise a child. In our society this truth is greater than ever. It’s too bad we are so self-absorbed and self-serving to recognize something so obvious. We will pay for our indifference and apathy. In fact, we already are.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Glacier wrote:

You know how the mantra goes, "If you say something long enough and loud enough and often enough, the people will believe it."

:dyinglaughing: No doubt. Look how well it has worked for Gordo.

(I bet you believe the stuff he says on TV)
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

I'll have to quit this thread now as I've found myself in the awkward position of agreeing entirely with SL, 'cept maybe for the cheesy political cheap-shots :dyinglaughing:

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”