Kelowna Issues

BC's provincial election and STV referendum takes place Tuesday May 12th.
kelownalife

Kelowna Issues

Post by kelownalife »

Howdy,

I am just about to start researching the wonderful politicians in my riding (yes, there is sarcasm in this statement).

I have never been more appalled, disgusted and ashamed of politicians both domestically and internationally. Needless to say, one must be the change in the world they want to see...therefore, its time to get involved.

With that, there are a few recent events that have really disturbed me as a long term Kelowna resident (I have been here almost 10 years).

Please let me know your thoughts in the below.

1) The new garbage cans. Why was I not allowed to vote on this? When was this discussed and who made the decision to inconvenience every single member of their constituency. Some of the arguments I have since heard are really rather unsound:

- the bins make it easier for garbage peeps to pick up the garbage. Solution, don't change the entire collection system, how about ensuring the people you hire have a minimal level of physical strength
- the cans will increase recycling. Ummm....no they won't! People will recycle when they understand why they should. Once they have been educated. A garbage can is not going to increase levels of recycling.
- these garbage cans must have cost a fortune! I wonder what company scored the contract for that job! It seems, when big government contracts are given out, more often then not, they are awarded to companies that contribute financially to a particular politicians or parties campaign. I wonder if that was the case here as well. WE have such a high level of homeless people, those under the poverty line, we have very poor services for those that are not well to do and instead of using the money to you know, help people, we bought garbage cans. I DID NOT AGREE TO THAT! Did y'all?

2) Why is Angela Reid the only one who opposed potentially building 27 storey buildings on Bernard? As citizens of Kelowna, what are your thoughts on having sky scrapers on your main downtown street?

3) Based on several countries and the analysis of recessions globally over the last 100 or so years, it has been shown time and time again that governments should NOT spend their way out of a recession. In fact, you can't!! Do you, as a Kelowna citizen agree with current Federal Economic Policies? Yes? Tell me why? No? What candidate in your riding is gonna have the balls (male or female 'balls') to stand up the Feds? Do we have a Ron Paul in Kelowna?

....yeah....I doubt it.

Namaste
I instigate.
kelownalife

Re: Kelowna Issues

Post by kelownalife »

Does no one have anything to say about our own town?!?!?!?
I instigate.
ventured
Board Meister

Post by ventured »

kelownalife wrote:Howdy,

I am just about to start researching the wonderful politicians in my riding (yes, there is sarcasm in this statement).

I have never been more appalled, disgusted and ashamed of politicians both domestically and internationally. Needless to say, one must be the change in the world they want to see...therefore, its time to get involved.

With that, there are a few recent events that have really disturbed me as a long term Kelowna resident (I have been here almost 10 years).

Please let me know your thoughts in the below.

1) The new garbage cans. Why was I not allowed to vote on this? When was this discussed and who made the decision to inconvenience every single member of their constituency. Some of the arguments I have since heard are really rather unsound:

- the bins make it easier for garbage peeps to pick up the garbage. Solution, don't change the entire collection system, how about ensuring the people you hire have a minimal level of physical strength
- the cans will increase recycling. Ummm....no they won't! People will recycle when they understand why they should. Once they have been educated. A garbage can is not going to increase levels of recycling.
- these garbage cans must have cost a fortune! I wonder what company scored the contract for that job! It seems, when big government contracts are given out, more often then not, they are awarded to companies that contribute financially to a particular politicians or parties campaign. I wonder if that was the case here as well. WE have such a high level of homeless people, those under the poverty line, we have very poor services for those that are not well to do and instead of using the money to you know, help people, we bought garbage cans. I DID NOT AGREE TO THAT! Did y'all?

2) Why is Angela Reid the only one who opposed potentially building 27 storey buildings on Bernard? As citizens of Kelowna, what are your thoughts on having sky scrapers on your main downtown street?

3) Based on several countries and the analysis of recessions globally over the last 100 or so years, it has been shown time and time again that governments should NOT spend their way out of a recession. In fact, you can't!! Do you, as a Kelowna citizen agree with current Federal Economic Policies? Yes? Tell me why? No? What candidate in your riding is gonna have the balls (male or female 'balls') to stand up the Feds? Do we have a Ron Paul in Kelowna?

....yeah....I doubt it.

Namaste

You bring up two City government issues, and a Federal Government issue. Not really a place for discussion, a Provincial Government election.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

this thread is on the wrong board
kelownalife

Post by kelownalife »

wow. I didn't realize these forums were so nazi-ish.

SO to understand this correctly, no one is replying to this post because this is not the 'category' for discussion?

Hmmm...that's really...dumb.
I instigate.
ventured
Board Meister

Post by ventured »

kelownalife wrote:wow. I didn't realize these forums were so nazi-ish.

SO to understand this correctly, no one is replying to this post because this is not the 'category' for discussion?

Hmmm...that's really...dumb.

Nobody is replying because it is OFF TOPIC.

If you want to discuss KELOWNA problems, to to the Kelowna board!

This board is for Provincial election issues. If you have any Provincial election issues relating to Kelowna, those would fit.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

kelownalife wrote: SO to understand this correctly, no one is replying to this post because this is not the 'category' for discussion? Hmmm...that's really...dumb.

What exactly is so dumb ?

That it took you so long to figure out why no one is replying to this post because this is not the appropriate thread for this discussion? This forum is not really that hard to figure out.

Return to “B.C. Provincial Election 2009”