Ryan Fugger - Green Party of BC

mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Ryan Fugger - Green Party of BC

Post by mechanic_virus »

This thread is for the discussion of the candidacy of Ryan Fugger - Green Party of BC.

http://www.greenparty.bc.ca/ryan-fugger
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Matthew Reed
Fledgling

Re: Ryan Fugger - Green Party of BC

Post by Matthew Reed »

Hello Ryan

You mentioned in the AM 1150 debate that you favor developing certain parcels of ALR land.

Can you clarify why any agricultural land should be turned into a parking lot when a world food crisis is sweeping across Earth. You know, food riots in Egypt and Haiti and what not.

Why would the Greens favor cement of food production? Heck they could be community gardens if urban development is your beef!

If any Green candidate can clear up your position on the paving of agricultural land it would be appreciated. More so for me as a voter. Why the Green Party would say anything like that shocks me to the core.

Matt_
damngrumpy
Übergod

Post by damngrumpy »

I too heard the program Phil had on AM 1150 and it made me wonder how a green candidate could
come out with such a position on the ALR. The greens do have a place in BC politics I will give them that much but in a campaign such as this I find it difficult to support you in this election.
damngrumpy
Übergod

Post by damngrumpy »

The ALR is important to the future of this province and anyone who is supposed to represent the green movement, condoning the practise of removing land from it out of touch and off message of the green policy, in my opinion. The policy should read not one square inch of land should be removed from the ALR. The future of farmland should not be put in the hands of developers and
real estate people. The Green candidate stumbled on this one and the major parties can smell blood on this one. Al Clarke doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting elected any time soon. And Ryan has started to dig a hole he may not be able to get out of. The majority of people
in this province are in favor of the legislation. Ryan be very careful about getting dragged into the
ALR quagmire, there is no mileage in it.
Freefalling

Post by Freefalling »

damngrumpy wrote:The ALR is important to the future of this province and anyone who is supposed to represent the green movement, condoning the practise of removing land from it out of touch and off message of the green policy, in my opinion. The policy should read not one square inch of land should be removed from the ALR. The future of farmland should not be put in the hands of developers and
real estate people. The Green candidate stumbled on this one and the major parties can smell blood on this one. Al Clarke doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting elected any time soon. And Ryan has started to dig a hole he may not be able to get out of. The majority of people
in this province are in favor of the legislation. Ryan be very careful about getting dragged into the
ALR quagmire, there is no mileage in it.

I agree, look at the food shortages around the world. Why would we give up the land that will sustain our children! Think about all of BC and the land that is actually "farmable". The Kootenays consist of the rockies, the enitre 7 hour drives is over passes. Than the beautiful Okanagan with a fair amount of usable land. And onto Vancouver, through more mountians and some farm land. Well said damngrumpy, good on ya for keeping the direction of the forum in a workable and discussion orientated direction!

I have a question because I don't know a lot about the ALR. What about using the ALR land and develop it with "sustainable, green" housing with community gardens and geothermal technology? Is this a viable alternative?
90Son

Post by 90Son »

One simple question since I missed the introductions if it was explained there.

Why were you not at the Lake Country all candidates forum?
friedemann
Fledgling

Post by friedemann »

Maybe "Green" is not the best name for the party because maybe it indicates a farmer like mentality...."I am smart enough to grow grass"...
But the Liberals are pro business and the NDP are pro worker...so maybe the Greens are more pro taxpayer (who funds the others)directly or indirectly - with their green? Not necessarily (ALR only) minded individuals.
I am favoring this party more-so because the leader is smarter than the other leaders having that education,(holding 2 doctorates and 1 bachelor degree) There is no "I am better than you and I know what is good for you and you don't" attitude. The housewife/homemaker and the ex-school teacher(both of which don't require a heck of a lot of brains) do have that attitude...and hiding it behind a grin or a mouth...pulling on heartstrings instead of facts.
The Green leader was the only one who said "that the getting together of the "good ideas of all the parties" would serve the public's interest the best".
(What an original idea).
Why not take the good ideas that are conceived and work with that for the good of the people instead of following party lines? Not all ideas of the winning party are gonna be good (fast ferries,BC Rail sale,etc).

Wouldn't it be different to have someone in government who had some intelligence? Someone who would be actually listening to "other" ideas-no matter the source? Eliminate the opposition platform idea and make it a constructive alternative platform instead. We definitely would be bucking a trend.

Isn't BC all about bucking trends?

And "that" won't happen within the system as it now stands. We are all too much :hailjo: to the way they(the leaders) say politics should be.
Those dudes in Victoria are just representatives of us(the masses).
We always got to remember that.
Our reps have stopped doing their job (listening to us) and are just looking out for their own self interests. >Expo; Olympics; whatever< who's idea was that? :nyah:

Check out the mayor of Missassauga. She has been voted in 11 terms. There is a reason for that.
Our politicians need the same mentality. I am definitely thinking of going :spinball:
issueman
Übergod

Post by issueman »

It is hard to imagine a rational reason to vote Green in this election.

It will simply bring back Gordon Campbell.

The Greens are 'out to lunch' with legalization of marijuana. Read about Margaret Trudeau in last weekend's Globe and Mail to see where pot smoking got her. In most cases it DOES lead to harder drugs and major rehabilitation costs. Ask the law enforcement people.

And Marc Emery's wife, a candidate for the Green Party has helped him to defy the law. Is that part of Green's policy?

However, I do favour voting STV for fairer representation and perhaps a chance for Green representation on other issues.
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

I didn't vote for a Green Party candidate, but they are not "out to lunch" with the idea of ending marijuana prohibition! It would save us a helluva lot on policing costs alone. Besides, marijuana is not a gateway drug; that theory has been debunked.

Yes, Jodie Emery is helping Marc Emery fight a law that is ridiculous.

prohibition.jpg

Good for her for trying to change those failing policies. Yes, we need to defeat the Liberals, but the Green Party platform has quite a few things that are worth being pursued under an NDP government. :sunshine:
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds

Return to “Kelowna-Lake Country”