Don't Vote 2009

BC's provincial election and STV referendum takes place Tuesday May 12th.
blueberry
Fledgling

Re: Don't Vote 2009

Post by blueberry »

Hellomynameis wrote:lol yeah an "anyone but you" on the ballot would be great! :cursor:

I'd use that one

Am going to change my name then.

Look for me, "Any Other", as your next political representative. :hailjo:

Should have thought of this much sooner!
puterbrother
Board Meister

Post by puterbrother »

to decide not to vote is not a cop out.How long have you been on this planet ? If less than 50 years,then you have no reason to criticize.I've seen what my vote does.ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ! and I will tell you why.The government of British Columbia is a corporation,a business.It owns B.C.It also owns YOU ! It owns your land,your car,everything.All we do come election time is vote "in" the board of directors to this company.That's why nothing ever changes.The people we elect really don't have any power.Just enough to make it look like they are in control.They aren't.It's the same nationally and globally.All an experienced "older " voter has to do is look back over the years to see that nothing has changed.WHOOPS ! Correction,it has changed........for the worse.Now governments are blatantly telling you what they are going to do.They are more out in the open with their actions.We've given up so much power to them that they are getting more arrogant,deceitful and bold.They don't give a damn about us.We're a pain in the *bleep*,as far as they are concerned.They've systematically turned us into "sheeple" with our passive consent and then look down on us with contempt when we demand something of them...............................pathetic.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Nice analogy about the corporation and the board of directors but, as for the rest, :nutzoid:
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
NoOne
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NoOne »

puterbrother wrote:to decide not to vote is not a cop out.How long have you been on this planet ? If less than 50 years,then you have no reason to criticize.I've seen what my vote does.ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ! and I will tell you why.The government of British Columbia is a corporation,a business.It owns B.C.It also owns YOU ! It owns your land,your car,everything.All we do come election time is vote "in" the board of directors to this company.That's why nothing ever changes.The people we elect really don't have any power.Just enough to make it look like they are in control.They aren't.It's the same nationally and globally.All an experienced "older " voter has to do is look back over the years to see that nothing has changed.WHOOPS ! Correction,it has changed........for the worse.Now governments are blatantly telling you what they are going to do.They are more out in the open with their actions.We've given up so much power to them that they are getting more arrogant,deceitful and bold.They don't give a damn about us.We're a pain in the *bleep*,as far as they are concerned.They've systematically turned us into "sheeple" with our passive consent and then look down on us with contempt when we demand something of them...............................pathetic.

at least i can add you to the list of people that understand. welcome to "don't vote 2009"
if you don't vote you're part of the problem.
if you do vote you ARE the problem.
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

NoOne wrote:Since a large segment of B.C's Population won't/don't/can't vote in the next election I would like to hear from those people. If you are voting use the other forums to praise your political runner. I would like to know why you are not going to vote. i don't see this as a party thrashing thread but a discourse on reasons why not to vote.

I personally will not be voting this election. Having just moved to a new area and I don't believe in any of the candidates I cast my vote for not choosing. I'll take who ever gets in but I won't be blamed for having to choose between evils.

I know that this is :offtopic: . By not casting a vote, than do not complain about which evil is elected.
NoOne
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NoOne »

i'm sorry but voting does not give you some special privileges in the complaints department that only a voter gets. anyone can complain about who is or is not elected. if anything, by not voting a person would be in a better position to complain. regardless of who gets in they can at least say they weren't part of the latest screw up. we may never take credit for the successes but without major reform to the system we will never have to worry about that happening.

don't vote 2009

make your vote count. don't vote
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

NoOne wrote: if anything, by not voting a person would be in a better position to complain.

Sorry, by not participating in the fight you gave up your right to complain about the outcome. If you have an issue with the status quo then vote against it.

NoOne wrote: make your vote count. don't vote

If you want to make sure your vote doesn’t count, then don’t vote. Your opinion will be automatically assigned to the rest of the people in this province who are too disempowered to care. We are so impressed by your statement. On the bright side (or not), you will be a member of the majority. We get the government we deserve.
NoOne
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NoOne »

steven lloyd wrote:
NoOne wrote: if anything, by not voting a person would be in a better position to complain.

Sorry, by not participating in the fight you gave up your right to complain about the outcome. If you have an issue with the status quo then vote against it.

sorry, searched and searched but i could not find that section of the charter of rights. any help would be nice.

or is it just an old wive's tale, scuttlebutt, a note under the table, felt pen on the bathroom wall kinda right.

and besides i don't have to complain about whom ever gets in. they effect my life very little. they get very little money from me, i give very little to them and the rest they don't know about. they can drill or not drill for offshore oil, i don't care, they can mine for uranium, i don't care, build or not build a new hospital, school etc., i don't care. regardless of the name of the party that wins they'll screw it up some how. should have built/done it 20 years ago, over budget, falls apart, obsolete before they finish, scandal, crooked bookkeeping and on and on. different party same reasons/excuses.

the past, present and future governments of bc, because of choices i've made, matter very little. choosing between one pile of brown and another based on which one wipes off my shoe the easiest or smells the least does not impress upon me the need to vote. i'm too smart to fall for that trick. i just step around it and leave the choice for some voter to step in. enjoy your vote, which ever pile of brown you choose.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

NoOne wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:

sorry, searched and searched but i could not find that section of the charter of rights. any help would be nice.

Sorry, I guess they haven’t come out with the book of “Common Sense” yet – although I didn’t really think it would be required reading on your part. My mistake.

NoOne wrote: they effect my life very little. they get very little money from me, i give very little to them and the rest they don't know about. they can drill or not drill for offshore oil, i don't care, they can mine for uranium, i don't care, build or not build a new hospital, school etc., i don't care. regardless of the name of the party that wins they'll screw it up some how. should have built/done it 20 years ago, over budget, falls apart, obsolete before they finish, scandal, crooked bookkeeping and on and on. different party same reasons/excuses.
the past, present and future governments of bc, because of choices i've made, matter very little. choosing between one pile of brown and another based on which one wipes off my shoe the easiest or smells the least does not impress upon me the need to vote. i'm too smart to fall for that trick. i just step around it and leave the choice for some voter to step in. enjoy your vote, which ever pile of brown you choose.

I actually almost agree with most of that – although I guess it does depend on where you live. For example, if you don’t live in Victoria, or the lower mainland or Kelowna or Kamloops then you might be more in tune to how much you are getting royally screwed by this government. The choice of government does make a difference to some people, but unfortunately as a whole we have become just as disillusioned as you are (except some people still fight).

What’s the difference? At the end of the day the rich will just keep getting richer and the income gap will continue to get larger (and because of that all the social problems that ultimately affect all of us will increase as well), but it’s those “greedy” union workers that are causing all the problems.

Why vote? Because maybe you’re one of those people whose mind hasn’t been turned into scrambled eggs by watching Liberal TV ads. Maybe you don’t support known criminals being elected to political positions. The difference is that if every disillusioned, disempowered and marginalized person actually voted, we wouldn’t have so many disillusioned, disempowered and marginalized persons.
NoOne
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NoOne »

just a reminder to forget to vote.

don't vote 2009
NoOne
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NoOne »

the big day is getting close.

what big day? mother's day, silly.

join the majority. don't vote 2009.
sleepdeprived
Lord of the Board

Post by sleepdeprived »

When I was an anarchist we used to spoil our ballots in protest.

We thought we were making a statement.

I now think that by not voting you exponentially increase the power of those who do and historically have a horrifying track record of electing bad government everywhere. Always.

(ok... except Obama)

So now I vote every time I get a chance and place myself with those who collectively and repeatedly demonstrate poor judgement.

If you have some strength of conviction and the kind of wisdom necessary to perform any kind of reasonable analysis prior to complaining, you should vote. You could make democracy better. Certainly more representative.

Or you can opt out. Live in a van down by the river. Whatever.

But remember those of us that do vote have a terrible track record and it's likely to continue that way without your input.

Help us out.

Please!
Last edited by sleepdeprived on May 9th, 2009, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can't be a non-conformist if you don't drink coffee."
Trey Parker
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

sleepdeprived wrote:When I was an anarchist we used to spoil our ballots in protest.

We thought we were making a statement.

I now think that by not voting you exponentially increase the power of those who do and we have a horrifying track record of electing bad government everywhere. Always.

(ok... except Obama)

So now I vote every time I get a chance and place myself with those who collectively and repeatedly demonstrate poor judgement.

If you have some strength of conviction and the kind of wisdom necessary to perform any kind of reasonable analysis prior to complaining, you should vote. You could make democracy better. Certainly more representative.

Or you can opt out. Live in a van down by the river. Whatever.

But remember those of us that do vote have a terrible track record and it's likely to continue that way without your input.

Help us out.

Please!

Quoted for great justice. :124:
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

NoOne wrote:the big day is getting close.

what big day? mother's day, silly.

join the majority. don't vote 2009.

Nah... I voted instead!
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds
NoOne