Mary-Ann Graham - BC Conservatives

melwilde

Re: Mary-Ann Graham - BC Conservatives

Post by melwilde »

I was astonished at the advertizing in our local papers by Ms Graham. The adds are extremley
expensive and prove that politicians say one thing and do another. It wasn't so long ago that Ms Graham was chastising the B.C. Liberals for spending big. The cost of her ads in the Daily Courier far exceed anything I've seen by her opponents.
I find this twisting of truths unbecoming of anyone calling themselves a conservative. I'm a conservative and am committed to the believe that every individual is responsible for their own
behaviour and actions. May I suggest that Ms Graham choose some other name for a party she wants to belong to. Conservative? I don't think so!
Mary-Ann

Post by Mary-Ann »

Good Morning!

Yes you are right these adds are expensive. We have kept the rest of our costs down so that we could invest in the newspaper for this weekend. We chose not to use the radio which is expensive also because not everyone listens to the radio or to different stations and to cover those would be even more expensive. My team has chosen to do bigger ads less often. We haven't had ads over the last three weeks. There are savings for larger ads. If you add up all the smaller ads, it would problaby equal more than mine.

I am very frugal as a rule but like anything there are times that one needs to spend money strategically to get one's message out. I am not happy about the expense of these newspaper ads, however, they are very important. I have learned through my experiences that there are times that you have to spend money whether you like it or not. My entire campaign will still come in well under the budgets of the other candidates. So please look at the entire campaign and the message that the BC Conservatives are presenting before placing your vote. The BC Conservatives are about spending money efficiently not just throwing money at problems. We want to fix the causes not just band-aid the symptoms.

I agree that we are responsible for our own actions and behaviour. I believe in people and that people are what make a difference. I believe in improving quality of life for all people by helping them reach their potential to become contributors to society.

Thank you for noticing my ad and sending me a post. I hope I have reinstated your confidenc in the BC Conservatives. We are balanced and efficient in our philosophy to getting things done.

We can make a difference one person at a time. Please vote for change.

Vote for Mary-Ann Graham, BC Conservative

Mary-Ann
issueman
Übergod

Post by issueman »

Mary Ann Graham is all about EGO!

Is that picture air brushed/graphically altered??

How about telling us the cost of a full page Courier ad?

Whomever the ads were paid by, they are RIDICULOUS!
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

issueman wrote:Mary Ann Graham is all about EGO!
Knowing Mary-Ann personally, I believe without a doubt in my mind that she is not.

Is that picture air brushed/graphically altered??
She really is that beautiful.

How about telling us the cost of a full page Courier ad?
Why don't you call the Courier to find out?

Whomever the ads were paid by, they are RIDICULOUS!
I think she already explained that. Is this really your biggest issue?
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Well, it's been a l-o-n-g evening. I have just read every comment in every candidate's thread in the riding of Kelowna-Lake Country ('cause that's where I get to vote).

I just gotta say ... dammit, Mary-Ann, why do you have to be so religious?????

I support gay marriage.

I support a woman's right to choose about abortion.

I read everything you said and every letter you typed. I could be you sitting there in your flannel nightie and fuzzy slippers answering questions on the Castanet Forum. Our ideals match so well. You support the things I hold dear - education, poverty issues, senior care, people before party politics, etc etc.

I just wish you hadn't stated so clearly your background in religious affiliations. Unfortunately, those beliefs will carry over into your ability to function for all people - the gay community, the right-to-choose people, the non-religious folks and others.

Tomorrow I have to go make an X. If you get time before I leave here (it'll be afternoon before I get to it), would you please give me reason to make my X beside your name? I'd really like to give my vote to you.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

grammafreddy wrote:I just wish you hadn't stated so clearly your background in religious affiliations. Unfortunately, those beliefs will carry over into your ability to function for all people - the gay community, the right-to-choose people, the non-religious folks and others.

I have to agree. My political beliefs tend to be on the conservative side of things, but I too support gay marriage and the right to choose. The Conservative insistence on hanging on to archaic values makes them look out out touch with younger voters, and this may lead them to vote for parties like the NDP (plus they're not old enough to remember how badly the province was run under the last NDP regime!). If the party doesn't start to chance it's views with the changing times, I mayhave to cast my vote elsewhere.

I may vote Conservative tomorrow, but nothing is certain until my vote is cast. If I do, it's not because I think the Conservatives could better run the province, but rather they're the lesser of the evils. That's not a way to win an election!
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
issueman
Übergod

Post by issueman »

The NDP were victims of the Asian slump.

The Liberals are victims of the world recesssion.

Is there a difference?
Mary-Ann

Post by Mary-Ann »

Good Morning

Thank you for the latest posts. Today is the big day. First, I hope everybody goes out and votes for whichever party or person they think will do the best job for them. Voting is very important.

I guess everybody has an ego of some size. I am running for MLA as a BC Conservative because I really do care about people. Everything I do is to try to make things around us better for everybody. Believe me when I say that I am not doing this for my ego. It wouldn't be worth it. There are too many sacrifices to be made to be about ego. It is not easy putting yourself out there to be critisi zed, scrutinized and picked apart. You guys really haven't been too bad but some things do hurt, but I get over it. It is all part of the campaign.

Thank you for the compliments on my picture. It was done last summer by Kim Elsasser. He is a very good photographer. It probably is touched up a bit but I don't know for sure. I just like the picture, it makes me feel good. If you look close enough though you can still see some facial hair and character lines. Just can't hide everything.

The Courier cost about $2500 for all the ads. I am not sure the exact amount yet. I know it is a lot especially when it is coming out of my pocket. I hope it was worth it. Any add in the paper costs a lot. The idea is to get exposure. We had to decide whether to have a lot of little ads or a big one. I wasn't sure at first, but now I think the big one probably was noticed where the little ones would have blended in with the advertisements.

I do not consider myself religious (bad connotation). I am spiritual. I do have my beliefs and have served a lot in the church as well as in the community. That is my background. I help everybody. I did not say I was against a woman's right to choose. I would like women to be as informed as possible of all the ramifications presented by an abortion. I do think too many are done. I believe in prevention.

I accept people for who they are. I stated that I believe in the traditional marriage, which is true. When someone says the word marriage that is what I think of. It is not my place to judge anybody else whatsoever. I respect others and their opinions and lifestyles.

My personal opinions and beliefs are part of me. As an MLA, I would have to take in the opinions of all the constituency and try to bring balance to all decisions that are made for this constituency. Things will not necessarily be my way but be your (the constituency) way. This goes for all decisions.

Why to vote for me? I want to be part of a team that will make things better for all. I want to see the health care system improved to give quailty of service to all. I want to end homelessness. I want to end children and their families living in poverty. I want people to have the resources to reach their potential. I want to improve the circulation of money through more people's hands before it ends up with the government. I want to protect the earth. I want to protect each and everyone's property rights. I want a lot and I am willing to work towards doing these things plus more. I want a lot becase I believe you want the same thing. We can do all of this together. We can make a difference.

BC is one of the most beatiful places on earth with so many riches. I think that everyone that lives here should be enjoying a great quality of life. Quality of life is not money.

Sorry, I have to stop now as I am going to go wave signs on corners. A little more grassroots (and a lot cheaper). If you see me, please honk your horn and wave. We all need some encouragement. I wish to thank everyone for allowing me over the last month or so to practice expressing myself. It has confirmed for me that I am doing the right thing. For the most part this has been a very good experience. I hope to meet each of you in person one day and talk more openly. I love to share ideas and enjoy healthy debates that is how we grow in our character.

One last thought. I know politicians like to make promises that they can't keep or they change when they get into office. I have been in a political position before and did not change. I have asked my family and friends to hold me accountable and not let me become some pompous blowheart. I ask the same of you, hold me accountable after all I am only human too.

If elected MLA, I wish to set up advisory committees and town hall meetings to ensure that I am in touch with the real world. I think the forum writers would be ideal participants. Perhaps we could keep a forum going for different topics that come up and use it as a committee/forum idea on-line. Anyways, there will be lots of ways to give input.

One last time, please vote Mary-Ann Graham, BC Conservative.

Mary-Ann
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

Phoenix Within wrote:The Conservative insistence on hanging on to archaic values makes them look out out touch with younger voters ...

Are they archaic values (supported overwhelmingly by Parliament less than a decade ago, btw) or traditional, time-tested values that young people will gravitate toward as they get some knowledge, experience and responsibilities under their belts?
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

I wish you luck, Mary-Ann, but look at this election as the first round and don't let yourself by KOed just cause a Liberal is destined to win here.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

I saw some nicely vandalized conservative signs today, all covered in pro-gay writings. Looks like they know what a vote for the conservatives will do.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

soulra wrote:I saw some nicely vandalized conservative signs today, all covered in pro-gay writings. Looks like they know what a vote for the conservatives will do.

Through Glenmore? I saw one there today.

Anyone know of usquebaugh's location last night? J/K!!!
Last edited by Phoenix Within on May 12th, 2009, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Homeownertoo wrote:Are they archaic values (supported overwhelmingly by Parliament less than a decade ago, btw) or traditional, time-tested values that young people will gravitate toward as they get some knowledge, experience and responsibilities under their belts?

Times change, and values change. I don't believe a lot of the same things I did five years ago.
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

Phoenix Within wrote:
Homeownertoo wrote:Are they archaic values (supported overwhelmingly by Parliament less than a decade ago, btw) or traditional, time-tested values that young people will gravitate toward as they get some knowledge, experience and responsibilities under their belts?

Times change, and values change. I don't believe a lot of the same things I did five years ago.(emphasis added)

Sounds like you are confirming what I said.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Homeownertoo wrote:Sounds like you are confirming what I said.

Not sure what you mean, unless I misinterpreted your previous post.

Return to “Kelowna-Lake Country”