TV gameshow offers atheists 'salvation'

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Born_again
Guru

TV gameshow offers atheists 'salvation'

Post by Born_again »

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/07/03/turkey.religion.gameshow/index.html
CNN Turkey wrote:

(CNN) -- A Turkish television show is offering contestants what it claims is the "biggest prize ever" -- the chance for atheists to convert to one of the world's major religions.

The show, called "Tovbekarlar Yarisiyor," or "Penitents Compete," features a Muslim imam, a Catholic priest, a Jewish rabbi and a Buddhist monk attempting to persuade 10 atheists of the merits of their religion, according to CNN Turk.

If they succeed, the contestants are rewarded with a pilgrimage to one of their chosen faith's most sacred sites -- Mecca for Muslims, Jerusalem for converts to Judaism, a trip to Tibet for Buddhists and the chance to visit Ephesus and the Vatican for Christians.

Ahmet Ozdemir, deputy director of Turkish channel Kanal T, which will air the show from September, said the program aimed to "turn disbelievers on to God."

"People are free to believe anything they want. Our program does not have a say," he said, according to Turkish newspaper Hurriyet.

Contestants will be judged by a panel of eight theologians and religious experts prior to going on the show to make sure their lack of faith is genuine.

But the show has been condemned by Turkish religious leaders. The head of the country's supreme council of religious affairs, Hamza Aktan, told CNN Turk that it was "disrespectful" to place different faiths in competition with each other and accused Kanal T of using religion to boost ratings.

"To do such a thing for the sake of ratings, not only with Islam but with all religions is disrespectful," said Aktan. "Religion should not be the subject of this type of program."

Although Turkey has a predominantly Muslim population and culture, religion is a sensitive subject because of the country's staunchly secular constitution which outlaws most displays of faith in public life.

Last year the Islamist-influenced government of Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan clashed with the country's constitutional court when judges overturned the efforts of Erdogan's AK Party to lift a ban on female students wearing headscarves at public universities.

That has got to be my ROFL for the day!
Contestants will be judged by a panel of eight theologians and religious experts prior to going on the show to make sure their lack of faith is genuine.

My god! Will they line them up against a wall, or put a blade to their throats to see if they squeal, "Allah!!", "Jesus" or whatever? I'd dearly love to know....... but from afar.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Re: TV gameshow offers atheists 'salvation'

Post by Nebula »

:ohmygod: :200: :ohmygod:
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Atheist Survivor, awesome! SIgn me up. What do I win if they can't convert me?
Last edited by Mr Danksworth on Jul 8th, 2009, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

It seems there is no prize if you stay the way you are.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Cheap b@stards. Oh well, I think I could be a buddhist for a while if it meant a free trip to Tibet.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

I wouldn't mind the Tibet option so much, but a noodley pirate cruise around the Caribbean would be waaaaaaaaaaay more fun!
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Oh yeah. A trip on the S.S. Canneloni, candlelight macaroni dinners with Captain Rotini...
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

soulra wrote:Atheist Survivor, awesome! SIgn me up. What do I win if they can't convert me?

I have thought Survivor would have been more interesting if say they ATE the loser..
if they can't convert you I'm guessing a set of luggage
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

soulra wrote:Atheist Survivor, awesome! SIgn me up. What do I win if they can't convert me?

I just signed you up, drop us a line and let us know how it's going, k?
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Awesome! I've always wanted to go to Turkey.
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

soulra wrote:Awesome! I've always wanted to go to Turkey.

You, my heathenish one, would be subject to a serious basting.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

So what you are saying is that bringing up the Armenian genocide would be a bad thing.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

only during dinner
Have fun, we are rooting ( and praying for your soul)
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Soul man, its sweets for the sweet & Turkey for the --------
I will never even in fun insult a person of your ____________hmm
Ok Turkey for the turkeys
We're lost but we're making good time.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board