Sex and marriage? Evangelicals conflicted

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Interesting article:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/sex ... le1246158/

Thoughts?

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: Sex and marriage? Evangelicals conflicted

Post by steven lloyd »

Nabcom wrote:Interesting article:

Thoughts?

Nab

From one of the comments following the article:

"I think we should encourage, boost, support as much as possible the concept of "being sure", "certain", "absolutely certain". That way, perhaps evangelicals will put off marriage until they are 60? 70?, hopefully 80, and infertile. Ergo the disease will die out soon and the world will be rid of another ludicrous problem."
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

LOL. I had hoped that perhaps I had started a philosophy topic that ALL would find some common ground to discuss without rancor, ....be they religious, non-religious, somewhere in between, straight, or queer. I should have read the comments associated with it and perhaps would thus have immediately realized that someone would jump right on it and turn it into just another religion bashing thread ;-)

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

What's not to bash?
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Nabcom wrote:LOL. I had hoped that perhaps I had started a philosophy topic that ALL would find some common ground to discuss without rancor, ....
Nab

OK, here's my philosophy: Get it all out of your system before making what is supposed to be a life-long commitment with a life-long partner.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Divorce Rates in Canada
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

steven lloyd wrote:
Nabcom wrote:LOL. I had hoped that perhaps I had started a philosophy topic that ALL would find some common ground to discuss without rancor, ....
Nab

OK, here's my philosophy: Get it all out of your system before making what is supposed to be a life-long commitment with a life-long partner.

Good one :-) I suspect on that basis there is very little difference between the religious and non religious. Nor between religious based marriage and non religion based marriage. And now we have Same Sex Marriage (religious or non religious) they face the same questions, No?

Nab
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Nabcom wrote:I suspect on that basis there is very little difference between the religious and non religious.

Very little difference is correct. Here is a quote from your posted article..

Statistics show that few Americans wait. More than 93 percent of adults 18 to 23 who are in romantic relationships are having sex, according to the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health. For conservative Protestants in relationships and active in their faith, it's almost 80 percent.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Glacier wrote: More than 93 percent of adults 18 to 23 who are in romantic relationships are having sex, according to the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health.

Exactly what healthy 18 to 23 year olds should be doing IMO. Keeps them off the streets :spinball:
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

steven lloyd wrote:
Glacier wrote: More than 93 percent of adults 18 to 23 who are in romantic relationships are having sex, according to the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health.

Exactly what healthy 18 to 23 year olds should be doing IMO. Keeps them off the streets :spinball:

:coffeecanuck: Jeeesh, doncha wish ROFL :-)

nab
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

steven lloyd wrote:

The 2 of you are going to hell saying and thinking that way. :dyinglaughing:
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

Nabcom wrote:Interesting article:

Thoughts?

This is just a par for the course conflict that pretty much all Christian youth are going to face and I don't mean that with any kind of negative connotation. What are they going to do if these are the rules you choose to live by, you can't complain, you shouldn't disobey, you're put to the test.

The one part of the article that I disagree with is that marriage is some kind of impediment to your goals.
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Yabut... is it only Christian youth who face such conflict Hello...? Any more or less for example than anyone else?

Nab
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Nabcom wrote:Yabut... is it only Christian youth who face such conflict Hello...? Any more or less for example than anyone else?

Nab

I think other religions also face the same conflict.

Some of the guys I know that sowed more than fair share of oats in their heyday want their daughters to wait until marriage for having sex. No religion involved.

Also, religious and non-religious people face similar conflicts. For example, I am thinking of a friend who does not believe in sleeping with someone until they are in a committed relationship, but as soon as he gets drunk, he takes home the first willing girl.

Since you will find some in the religious and non-religious communities believe it is best to wait until marriage, it appears to me that the difference lies in how each plays their hands. The non-religious believes the odds are practically zero, so no use being naive about it (they are going to do it anyway). The religious believes no matter the odds, abstinence is always attainable (abstinence only).
- Douglas Murray
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Sooo....evangelicals have realized that people still have sex and no amount of bible banging makes it go away...and the solution is to get married earlier to avoid the urges. What a surprise. Don't use condoms though, sex is for procreation purposes ONLY!
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”