You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

ventured
Board Meister

Re: You're a Vernonite if you can remember....

Post by ventured »

steven lloyd wrote:Sleeping nude and then spending the day nude at a small beach area below the railway tracks that still run beside Kalamalka Lake. I only lived there for one summer (1980?) but it was a hot summer and a lot of fun. Until then I had never realized how many beautiful girls lived around there (sigh).

p.s. got a pretty good tan that summer :127:

The area has been referred to as White Rock. The subdivisions have been encroaching on it, so not sure how active it is now.
redneck70

Post by redneck70 »

Ah good old suicide hill, I used to live pretty much at the top (about half way up 29th Cres) when I was a kid and use to go blazing down every chance I had. When your 10 it felt like you were going the speed of light by the time you got to the old church.

I also remember the tillicum ski hill, then tillicum slides (a plastic sled with wheels following a cement path doing 40 mph :nutzoid: ), then it was tillicum hot springs.
marns23

Post by marns23 »

chrisv wrote:.....being approached in a mall parking lot by a guy who's wife was in an accident in Calgary and he just needs two dollars to purchase a bus ticket to go see her. Its been two years since the first time he asked me, and he still aparently hasnt gotten the ticket

THAT GUY IS STILL AROUND!!!!! He hangs out at The Vernon Lodge now. lol

Oh, and has anyone mentioned Red Rooster (now Happy Days)?
Tastee Freeze? (Polson Park Diner)

I saw the waterslides mentioned yea they're still here, but havent been updated or anything.
Who remembers the bobsleds? :nyah:
There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.
- George Carlin

gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

How about Boston Pizza man? He was this HUGE guy who was always at Boston Pizza. He drove a black Cordoba or something similar. He had a small (racing) steering wheel because it was the only way he could fit. He also had heavy duty shocks only on the driver's side, when he got out of the car, it sat lopsided.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

ventured wrote:
Jo wrote:This is a great thread! I'm not a Vernonite but I remember Eatons, lol. We used to go there before Kelowna got their own Eatons.

Really? I would have thought that they had their own for a long time, but not at the mall location?

The reason Eaton's was first build in Vernon was that Eaton's had figured Vernon was going to be big centre in the valley not Kelowna.
ventured
Board Meister

Post by ventured »

roadrunner24k wrote:
ventured wrote:
Jo wrote:This is a great thread! I'm not a Vernonite but I remember Eatons, lol. We used to go there before Kelowna got their own Eatons.

Really? I would have thought that they had their own for a long time, but not at the mall location?

The reason Eaton's was first build in Vernon was that Eaton's had figured Vernon was going to be big centre in the valley not Kelowna.

And was for some time larger than Kelowna. Even Penticton was larger than Kelowna for a while.... HOw things change.
aspen00

Post by aspen00 »

gardengirl wrote:
ventured wrote:Anybody remember the old radio remote show from the look out from CJIB? One time we heard our Uncle on it. (We were expecting him).

Trying to remember what they called out.

Yes. They used to do it from the Kal Lake lookout. I think they would just talk to whoever was there.
I remember one day it was Jim Byrnes. Don't remember what it was called though....hmmmm...reaching way back....

Was it Frank Martina that did that show?
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

aspen00 wrote:
gardengirl wrote:
ventured wrote:Anybody remember the old radio remote show from the look out from CJIB? One time we heard our Uncle on it. (We were expecting him).

Yes. They used to do it from the Kal Lake lookout. I think they would just talk to whoever was there.
I remember one day it was Jim Byrnes. Don't remember what it was called though....hmmmm...reaching way back....

I don't think so, it seems that he was the regular mid-week guy. It might have been Patrick Nichol (back when he was a pup and used the name Patrick David). I think they had different people, usually some summer intern as co-host.
whiskeywarrior

Post by whiskeywarrior »

how about Big Momma's Pizza downtown and Jukebox Jive Bar.....
glenb

Post by glenb »

gardengirl wrote:
aspen00 wrote:
gardengirl wrote:

I don't think so, it seems that he was the regular mid-week guy. It might have been Patrick Nichol (back when he was a pup and used the name Patrick David). I think they had different people, usually some summer intern as co-host.
was it called "Welcome Traveller"
glenb

Post by glenb »

gardengirl wrote:How about Boston Pizza man? He was this HUGE guy who was always at Boston Pizza. He drove a black Cordoba or something similar. He had a small (racing) steering wheel because it was the only way he could fit. He also had heavy duty shocks only on the driver's side, when he got out of the car, it sat lopsided.
Was it Stan
kilray

Post by kilray »

Skipping School to play arcade games at Ebenezer's
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

glenb wrote:
gardengirl wrote:How about Boston Pizza man? He was this HUGE guy who was always at Boston Pizza. He drove a black Cordoba or something similar. He had a small (racing) steering wheel because it was the only way he could fit. He also had heavy duty shocks only on the driver's side, when he got out of the car, it sat lopsided.
Was it Stan

I don't think I ever knew his name. I might be wrong, but he may have done late night janitorial work or something. All I know is that he was in Boston Pizza pretty much every night.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Tillicum Raceway 1975:

Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
ventured
Board Meister

Post by ventured »

Cool. the centre area is now completely grown over, it's tall trees. You'd never recognize it. Amazing to see it so open.

Return to “North Okanagan”