If there is a god

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Re: If there is a god

Post by I Think »

So how come one can start a silly thread, that gets traction, and an important thread that dies an oh so ignominious death?
We're lost but we're making good time.
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

soulra wrote:Caps lock is cruise control for crazy. Must be an x-ian spam bot...

:coffeecanuck:

H O W dare YOU!
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

nibs wrote:So how come one can start a silly thread, that gets traction, and an important thread that dies an oh so ignominious death?

This silly nonsensical thread started back in June and just got to a second page today.
Is that what you consider traction? :137:
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr. Personality »

nibs wrote:If there is a god, why are his/her/it's followers such dweebs?

Who's to say the dweebs are the true followers? Just because they said so? I wouldn't trust those dweebs.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
oldhippy
Board Meister

Post by oldhippy »

Just in case you missed it.

* Edit post
* Delete post
* Report this post

Re: The New Atheism

Postby oldhippy on Today, 3:16 pm
Re: The New Atheism

Postby Mr Danksworth on Today, 8:10 am
So..what does this have to do with the new atheism? How about you start a thread with your neo-hippy earth spirit stuff? Then you can type your fluff until your heart is content.

It does not take much does it? The New Atheism. The New Age Belief. Nothing is New: both have been around scene time began. As far as my so called "neo-hippy earth spirit stuff?" If you did take time to read and understand my simple poem: my point is, belief or no belief, if you are walking a good trail with out hurting others or calling other people down, then you are walking the right trail in life in The New Atheism or not.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Double posting is frowned upon.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr. Personality »

Mr Danksworth wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

:127:
My point is, a lot of people who disagree with each other claim to the same impossible thing. They're all wrong.
oldhippy
Board Meister

Post by oldhippy »

If a person has a belief even in their own self only and they walk a good trail and physically hurt no one and they do not call any one down: they they are walking a good trail in life.
chickenlittle
Fledgling

Post by chickenlittle »

oldhippy wrote:If a person has a belief even in their own self only and they walk a good trail and physically hurt no one and they do not call any one down: they they are walking a good trail in life.

And they still fall short of the Glory of God.
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

chickenlittle wrote:
oldhippy wrote:If a person has a belief even in their own self only and they walk a good trail and physically hurt no one and they do not call any one down: they they are walking a good trail in life.

And they still fall short of the Glory of God.

Why is that?
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Hellomynameis wrote:Why is that?

Because they're not following someone elses definition of Salvation.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Phoenix Within wrote:

When I was part and parcel with Christiandom I was under the impression no one was ever within the Glory of God, until they are dead, and only if they died confessing JC was their Savior. That's how it went down in that little Church. And if Chickenlittle's church has a different formula, I'd like to hear it.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
chickenlittle
Fledgling

Post by chickenlittle »

Queen K wrote:
Phoenix Within wrote:

When I was part and parcel with Christiandom I was under the impression no one was ever within the Glory of God, until they are dead, and only if they died confessing JC was their Savior. That's how it went down in that little Church. And if Chickenlittle's church has a different formula, I'd like to hear it.

My belief is that no one can measure up to God's standards. No one is perfect and perfection is God's standard. We are all sinners (see post in Pastor Dave's Column thread http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16347&start=435 for how I define sin). It is only through His Grace (that is Christ Jesus) that we can have an ongoing relationship with Him. I don't buy the only way to be within the Glory of God when you die. I have no idea what happens when I die other than my relationship with God will continue. I experience the Glory of God everyday because of my relationship with Him through Christ. God is not some guy with a white beard sitting on a Golden Throne in some place called Heaven. God is a personal, caring, loving God that we can experience everyday.

For the record,
I was raised atheist and came to Christ as an adult.
I am an evolutionist. I do not believe the world is 4000-7000 years old.
I do not believe the bible is the infallible word of God... It is an amazing book written by people about how they experience God.
I think most Christians miss the point entirely. We don't need more Pharisees. We need more love and acceptance of each other.
I do not pretend that I understand God.
I doubt, question, and wrestle with God and my faith on an almost daily basis.
I experience God on a daily basis.
I do not think salvation is about some magic formula...it is simply about having a personal relationship with God.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

JonyDarko wrote:Chuck Norris believes in God...

Thx for posting this... I now know not to take your insult in my serious discussion thread, so seriously. When a question about God and/or religion arises, and you spout off about Chuck Norris, I don't feel so offended when you think I am the idiot.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”