"Evangelicals". I have a question for you.

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

"Evangelicals". I have a question for you.

Post by GordonH »

Evangelicals please explain to me and others on this forum. Why you fear homosexuals?
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Re: "Evangelicals". I have a Question for you.

Post by fvkasm2x »

whatisupcastanet wrote:Evangelicals please explain to me and others on this forum. Why you fear homosexuals?

I am not an evangelical, a homosexual, a homophobe, nor a member of any religion. However, I find the question quite simple to answer. According to the bible, homosexuality is a sin. Isn't that reason enough... if you are religious?
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

fvkasm2x wrote:I am not an evangelical, a homosexual, a homophobe, nor a member of any religion. However, I find the question quite simple to answer. According to the bible, homosexuality is a sin. Isn't that reason enough...

No.

Homosexuality is only brought up a couple of times in the bible. That's it. It is my understanding that extra-marrital hanky panky (adultery) is mentioned dozens of times as being wrong (and it is also a qualifed 'sin'). However, based on the infrequency of the mentions of homosexuality in the bible and the frequency of mentions of how bad affairs are, there seems to be an extreme focus on homosexuality and a complete lack of focus on adultery. Now why is that?

The big commandment was, "Thou shalt not kill," but one rarely sees evangelicals spouting off at the pulpit about the evils of war or how wrong the death penalty is. Why is that?

Why such a focus on homosexuality, given it is mentioned few times in the bible?
Last edited by Nebula on Aug 20th, 2009, 6:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Yeah, there are a few mentions of homosex in the bible, but there are many more injunctions against divorce, but its OK now, - whats up with that?
We're lost but we're making good time.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Very good point Nebula. I agree... my answer has been proven insufficient. :hailjo: lol
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

:127:
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Post by eyepop »

fvkasm2x wrote:
whatisupcastanet wrote:Evangelicals please explain to me and others on this forum. Why you fear homosexuals?

I am not an evangelical, a homosexual, a homophobe, nor a member of any religion. However, I find the question quite simple to answer. According to the bible, homosexuality is a sin. Isn't that reason enough... if you are religious?

the bible doesn't instruct to fear homosexuals.

..and the question was why do so?

Post by NAB »

Is "fear" really the right word to use? Personally, I don't think it has anything to do with fear.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

I think fear is the perfect word to use, evangelicals obviously hate "hate comes from fear" them. If i am not mistaken the bible says that homosexuality is an "abomination" and it says the same exact thing about eating shell fish. Now I have yet to see evangelicals abstain from eating shrimp or lobster.

Personally i believe it all roots from sexual insecurity.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Nabcom wrote:Is "fear" really the right word to use? Personally, I don't think it has anything to do with fear.

JonyDarko wrote:I think fear is the perfect word to use, evangelicals obviously hate "hate comes from fear" them.

JonyDarko wrote: Personally I believe it all roots from sexual insecurity.

Makes perfect sense. Until we become open to acceptance and understanding we fear what we don’t understand, and hate (most often expressed by disdain, anger and even violence) is the perfect psychological defence mechanism to protect our egos from acknowledging we fear something.

Freud suggested that homophobia was a defensive reaction to possessing latent homosexual tendencies. In other words, the more vocal you were in your opposition or disdain to homosexuality, the more likely it was you were repressing (and scared of) your own homosexual desires. Or put another way, the more secure you are in your own masculinity the less threatened you are by homosexual behaviour in others.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

steven lloyd wrote:
Nabcom wrote:Is "fear" really the right word to use? Personally, I don't think it has anything to do with fear.

JonyDarko wrote:I think fear is the perfect word to use, evangelicals obviously hate "hate comes from fear" them.

JonyDarko wrote: Personally I believe it all roots from sexual insecurity.

Makes perfect sense. Until we become open to acceptance and understanding we fear what we don’t understand, and hate (most often expressed by disdain, anger and even violence) is the perfect psychological defence mechanism to protect our egos from acknowledging we fear something.

Freud suggested that homophobia was a defensive reaction to possessing latent homosexual tendencies. In other words, the more vocal you were in your opposition or disdain to homosexuality, the more likely it was you were repressing (and scared of) your own homosexual desires. Or put another way, the more secure you are in your own masculinity the less threatened you are by homosexual behaviour in others.

While undoubtedly there "can" be a link between hate and fear, in the context of this question I don't agree that it is a link that stands up in a generalized way.

But you make an interesting point steven... since you seem to be suggesting that, when it comes to homosexuality, that generalized "fear" of homosexuals is within homosexuals themselves? And by extension, All Evangelicals must be latent homosexuals? ROFL ;-) But then a lot of Freud's speculative thinking has been extensively debunked anyway.

That's why I am convinced that, in general terms, the word "homophobia" has little if any modern relevance or general significance any more. Edit to add: One comment I picked up (of many) which I liked was "I really do think Freud has bequeathed us a set of fictions that are destined to just hang around in our language and institutions."

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Nebula wrote:Why such a focus on homosexuality, given it is mentioned few times in the bible?

That is the nature of the human race. Downplay the vices you want to engage in, and 'balance this out' by over emphasizing a vice in which few partake.

{assuming for this example that laying into your neighbour's wife and sleeping with a man are both vices}.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

No one thinks all evangelicals are latent homosexuals. I think all people have some degree of homosexual behavior "does not mean you are a homosexual". Compound this with sexual inexperience "waiting for marriage"/ and insecurity, along with the FACT that parents, preachers, and teachers in their communities and churches have been telling them to fear and hate homosexuals for generations and you get a whole lot of fear and hate.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I think a big part comes down to (some) people being grossed out by male anal sex. I just cannot see any other reason for being so against somethnig that does not concern them.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
lammmy
Fledgling

Post by lammmy »

Whatever the reason, it definitely isn't hard to install a fear into people. In middle school I used to get bullied a little bit, not a lot, but enough to make me hate school. UNTIL I found the secret weapon: pretend you're gay. I'm not talking having to make out with others of the same gender, no, all I had to do was move in for a hug or flop my wrist and the kids went running before I had a chance to even make contact. Pretty sad...thinking back now, I'm super glad I did it, it was like a mini social experiment and really opened my eyes.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”