Alberta makes stupidity law

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
nolanrh
Übergod

Re: Alberta makes stupidity law

Post by nolanrh »

sooperphreek wrote:i personally think the idea is brilliant. i feel that there is a ballance to this legislation and everyone should be happy. if you dont like religious views then dont go on that day. if you dont like alternate sexual orientation and dont want societies liberal attitude towards that preached to your child keep them home.

There should be no preaching in schools period. Lessons should be delivered on all subjects in as objective and unbias manner as possible.
sooperphreek wrote: i mean its rediculous that the gays and lesbians were able to open the door in kindergarten classes with books like my two daddies or two mommies books but cry bloody murder if religion was a topic.

Could you provide some more details on exactly what "gays and lesbians" did that you feel is inappropriate and the supporting information?
sooperphreek wrote: if you dont believe in evolution then your kids can stay home.

What if you don't believe in feminism? Should Islamic kids be excused from that lesson? Or what about the age of the earth in geology? Should evangelicals pass a geology test with an answer of 10,000 years old?
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

sooperphreek wrote: i mean its rediculous that the gays and lesbians were able to open the door in kindergarten classes with books like my two daddies or two mommies books but cry bloody murder if religion was a topic.

umm - kids having 2 moms or 2 dads is REAL (no belief or leap of faith required).............. Slightly less shocking to find out that some people might have 2 moms or 2 dads when your 5 than when your 18 (for some reason 5 year olds are a little more tolerant and accepting of different lifestyles than adults)

Religion is a topic in school - from elementary school through high school i was familiarized with christianity (several sects) Buddism, Hinduism, Confusionism, taoism, Sihkism, judaism, the muslim faith along with a historical litany of mythologies from Greek, egyptian, Roman, Norse, etc.

Pretty much the only topic not covered was atheism
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

"Bill 44, the legislation that would give Alberta parents the right to pull their children from classroom discussions about sex, sexual orientation or religion, moved to third reading early Wednesday after a nearly six-hour debate."

"It's up to the parents to raise the children, not the government, not the state," said Calgary Conservative MLA Jonathan Denis.

Full article: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story ... ebate.html

Meanwhile, California's Supreme Court has upheld a ban on same-sex marriage - the latest twist in a long-running saga.

The judges rejected a challenge from gay-rights activists to overturn the result of a 2008 referendum which restricted marriage to heterosexuals.
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

The topic you are looking for is thattaway------------------------------------------------------>
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16194&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=prop+8
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Corneliousrooster wrote:(for some reason 5 year olds are a little more tolerant and accepting of different lifestyles than adults)

I wouldn't call it "tolerance and acceptance" when it comes to 5 year olds. I'd call it "not understanding a single thing going on around them".
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

CaptainAwesome wrote:
Corneliousrooster wrote:(for some reason 5 year olds are a little more tolerant and accepting of different lifestyles than adults)

I wouldn't call it "tolerance and acceptance" when it comes to 5 year olds. I'd call it "not understanding a single thing going on around them".

Funny how that so often persists through to adulthood.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

:dyinglaughing:
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Any one who thinks 5 year olds don't have a clue about what is going on best look again.
A child from birth is scrambling to assimilate huge amounts of information. by the time they are 3 months old they are developing skills and understandings that will stay with them for life.
Ask any caring and intelligent parent.
We're lost but we're making good time.
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

Mr Danksworth wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2009/04/30/cgy-bill-evolution-law-alberta-classes-teachers.html?ref=rss

Evolution classes optional under proposed Alberta law

Education Minister Dave Hancock supports a new bill that would require schools to notify parents in advance about subject matter that deals 'explicitly with religion, sexuality or sexual orientation.'
A controversial Alberta bill will enshrine into law the rights of parents to pull their children out of classes discussing the topics of evolution and homosexuality.

The new rules, which would require schools to notify parents in advance of "subject-matter that deals explicitly with religion, sexuality or sexual orientation," is buried in a bill that extends human rights to homosexuals. Parents can ask for their child to be excluded from the discussion.

good.parenst should be able to decide what their child is taught period
GO CANUCKS GO
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

JoleneandJoel wrote:ok, well dodged

here's some things to think about

If evolution is creating a better and better earth over time, why is it that the ultimate being of evolution (humankind) is ruining the earth?

Is it because of our moral laws which protect the weak, the poor, the disabled, the elderly and so on contradict the laws of evolution, being, survival of the fittest? Has this created our unnatural population size?

um first whose to say nature is not planning now to give humans a spanking?mabey evolutions end game is we wipe ourselfs out so the rest of the plants and animals dont have to deal with humans anymore?
GO CANUCKS GO
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

westsidebud wrote:good.parenst should be able to decide what their child is taught period

You talk in one thread about freedom of thought, but in the next thread you agree with the parent censoring what the child is taught if it conflicts with their beliefs. Do you even have a clue what the bill is about?
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

He doesn't have a clue, period.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
mtnman1
Guru

Post by mtnman1 »

Mr Danksworth wrote:He doesn't have a clue, period.

Amen.
Lack of objection is implied consent.
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

CaptainAwesome wrote:I hope one day they'll change the school system so it only teaches essentials like math, english, science and other subjects and leave Jesus, Koran, politics, and homosexuality out of school.

exactly.that why i said what i said in my previous post
GO CANUCKS GO
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

not that theres anything wrong with those things.canada should be about freedom.but scholl should be about preparing the students about the things that will help them in this money based world we live in.young ppl find out about social issues on their own.it doesnt need to be a course
GO CANUCKS GO

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”