"Evangelicals". I have a question for you.

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
sobrohusfat
Guru

Re: "Evangelicals". I have a question for you.

Post by sobrohusfat »

steven lloyd wrote:Evolutionary scientists suggest that as a genetic survival mechanism more homosexuals are produced during times of global stress so that reduced reproduction of the species would occur placing less demand on the planet's resources

Interesting brain fart. So, are you saying you are sold on this suggestion? There is obviously no actual data to support this suggestion but you figure it is fact? or what.

Maybe as a genetic survival mechanism more southpaws are born in Toronto at times the bluejays are having a rough season because the pitchers from the other teams have a harder time striking lefties out.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

Steven I'd compliment you on your post but it has been pointed out that such pleasantries can be quite detrimental to me.
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Hellomynameis wrote:such pleasantries can be quite detrimental to me.

elevated heart rate & blood pressure...etc?

hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

sobrohusfat wrote:
Hellomynameis wrote:such pleasantries can be quite detrimental to me.

elevated heart rate & blood pressure...etc?

No, last time I did it I lost about $700 in books, the correlation has been pointed out, the data verified, Steven Lloyd is a dangerous subject to croon over.

It's a running hypothesis, I have to give away my guitar before I proceed to the empirical tests.
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

sobrohusfat wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:Evolutionary scientists suggest that as a genetic survival mechanism more homosexuals are produced during times of global stress so that reduced reproduction of the species would occur placing less demand on the planet's resources

Interesting brain fart. So, are you saying you are sold on this suggestion? There is obviously no actual data to support this suggestion but you figure it is fact? or what.

Where did I suggest it was fact? In fact, I clearly pointed out it has been suggested by evolutionary scientists that this might be one explanation. You even italicized the word which would suggest you recognized that fact. I’m not saying I’m sold on this explanation. What I am saying is that evolutionary scientists have proposed this might be one possible evolutionary explanation for homosexuality.

p.s. there is data to support that hypothesis (reviewed it in a university psyc class) but you'd have to look it up yourself because I'm not prepared to do that right now (remember that such data only supports a hypothesis, it does not prove it).

sobrohusfat wrote: Maybe as a genetic survival mechanism more southpaws are born in Toronto at times the bluejays are having a rough season because the pitchers from the other teams have a harder time striking lefties out.

Well that one is obvious.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

steven lloyd wrote:
sooperphreek wrote: if you don’t procreate because you are wasting bullets on the same sex or the legs are crossed too tight except for the same sex....then we go extinct.

Evolutionary scientists suggest that as a genetic survival mechanism more homosexuals are produced during times of global stress so that reduced reproduction of the species would occur placing less demand on the planet's resources (yes, look it up and research it – you learn better that way).

It happens in other species, why not ours?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

jennylives wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:
sooperphreek wrote: if you don’t procreate because you are wasting bullets on the same sex or the legs are crossed too tight except for the same sex....then we go extinct.

Evolutionary scientists suggest that as a genetic survival mechanism more homosexuals are produced during times of global stress so that reduced reproduction of the species would occur placing less demand on the planet's resources (yes, look it up and research it – you learn better that way).

It happens in other species, why not ours?

Exactly. Evolutionary scientists have observed increased incidence of homosexual behaviour in many animal groups (including humans) during times of threat to that species surival. The hypothetical (read: hypothetical) reasoning is that less offspring results in less demand on scarce resources. It is not something that can be proved but it is an interesting idea to explain the evolutionary function of homosexuality. Ya, science - you actually have to read stuff to get an idea.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

steven lloyd wrote:Evolutionary scientists have observed increased incidence of homosexual behaviour in many animal groups (including humans) during times of threat to that species surival. The hypothetical (read: hypothetical) reasoning is that less offspring results in less demand on scarce resources. It is not something that can be proved but it is an interesting idea to explain the evolutionary function of homosexuality. Ya, science - you actually have to read stuff to get an idea.

If this were even remotely based on anything but fart in the wind science when related to human behaviour, we would assume then that in all parts of the world that are curently, or have at one time been faced with prolonged starvation due to drout, war, natural disasters, etc ... otherwise heterosexual men and women suddenly find themselves strangely attracted to others of the same sex or most of their children have now or will grow up to be homosexuals?

There's been plenty of historical opportunity to observe this hypothetical phenomenon but....

?

steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

sobrohusfat wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:Evolutionary scientists have observed increased incidence of homosexual behaviour in many animal groups (including humans) during times of threat to that species surival. The hypothetical (read: hypothetical) reasoning is that less offspring results in less demand on scarce resources. It is not something that can be proved but it is an interesting idea to explain the evolutionary function of homosexuality. Ya, science - you actually have to read stuff to get an idea.

If this were even remotely based on anything but fart in the wind science when related to human behaviour, we would assume then that in all parts of the world that are curently, or have at one time been faced with prolonged starvation due to drout, war, natural disasters, etc ... otherwise heterosexual men and women suddenly find themselves strangely attracted to others of the same sex or most of their children have now or will grow up to be homosexuals?

There's been plenty of historical opportunity to observe this hypothetical phenomenon but....

It's not about most (or any) heterosexuals suddenly becoming homosexual (that doesn't happen). It's about a statistically significant higher number of homosexuals being born as a result of such stresses. It's certainly not a given, but a hypothesis supported by actual data. But like I said, you actually have to read stuff to be aware of some of the scientific ideas that exist.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

steven lloyd wrote:
sobrohusfat wrote:

It's not about most (or any) heterosexuals suddenly becoming homosexual (that doesn't happen). It's about a statistically significant higher number of homosexuals being born as a result of such stresses. It's certainly not a given, but a hypothesis supported by actual data. But like I said, you actually have to read stuff to be aware of some of the scientific ideas that exist.

perhaps you should put faith in the book of scripture that exists. just because something is in print does not mean that you have to have blind faith in it. if you choose to believe in scientific doctrine pertaining to the conjecture about homosexual hypothesy then do so. if you choose to take scriptures literally do so. the choice is yours.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

steven lloyd wrote:
"Evolutionary scientists have observed increased incidence of homosexual behaviour in many animal groups (including humans) during times of threat to that species surival. The hypothetical (read: hypothetical) reasoning is that less offspring results in less demand on scarce resources."

LOL, that's gotta be downright weird. I always understood that threats to a species survival resulted in increased birth rates. Makes one wonder what it really was then that primarily caused the Baby Booms following WW1 and WW2.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Re: "Evangelicals". I have a Question for you.

Post by Mr. Personality »

Hellomynameis wrote:Kind of except everyone in the club is a sinner, why only pick on the gay ones?

Point taken, but we're not talking about daily sins of lying or stealing or even bigger ones like murder or adultery. We're talking about openly gay people, not closet homosexuals. You don't hear people shouting for murderers rights or adulterers rights within the church, people generally keep these activities to themselves. Why would an openly gay person even want to be a Catholic or Lutheran or whatever? It makes no sense.

(cue the atheist's "NO CHURCH MAKES SENSE) - There I did it for you, you can move on to some more actual points now.
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

To all those who attend church, mosque, synagogue, gurwara, mandir etc etc. Same sex or not what 2 consenting adults do with each other is none of anyones business.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Nabcom wrote:steven lloyd wrote:
"Evolutionary scientists have observed increased incidence of homosexual behaviour in many animal groups (including humans) during times of threat to that species surival. The hypothetical (read: hypothetical) reasoning is that less offspring results in less demand on scarce resources."

LOL, that's gotta be downright weird. I always understood that threats to a species survival resulted in increased birth rates. Makes one wonder what it really was then that primarily caused the Baby Booms following WW1 and WW2.

Nab

It is quite a fascinating idea, but still just a theory (although supported by data). In addressing your remark regarding threats to a species survival resulting in increased birth rates, and the possible cause behind the Baby Booms following WW1 and WW2 we need to consider two things:

1) Is the evolutionary response to a threat dependent on the nature of the threat? For example, what these evolutionary scientists are suggesting is that a higher rate of homosexual births would lead to a generation that would obviously have a lower reproductive rate, which would increase the chances for the survival of the species as a whole as there would ultimately be less demand on scarce resources.

2) Were the Baby Booms caused by the threats of WW1 and WW2, or by the removal of the threats when each of those wars ended?
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Re: "Evangelicals". I have a Question for you.

Post by hellomynameis »

Mr. Personality wrote:
Hellomynameis wrote:Kind of except everyone in the club is a sinner, why only pick on the gay ones?

Point taken, but we're not talking about daily sins of lying or stealing or even bigger ones like murder or adultery. We're talking about openly gay people, not closet homosexuals. You don't hear people shouting for murderers rights or adulterers rights within the church, people generally keep these activities to themselves. Why would an openly gay person even want to be a Catholic or Lutheran or whatever? It makes no sense.

(cue the atheist's "NO CHURCH MAKES SENSE) - There I did it for you, you can move on to some more actual points now.

I would assume they want to be a member because they've connected on a personal/spiritual level with that religion, probably through the positive aspects of the teaches (ie. Jesus's message of hope) and/or by simply being exposed to only that form of religion as a child. I don't see how being a LGBT individual would preclude them from firmly believing that only through Jesus will their eternal soul can be saved.

Also, as an atheist I don't believe that "NO CHURCH MAKES SENSE", so I don't know what that was about...
- Carl Sagan

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”