Religion

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Religion

Post by Queen K »

Even some of the sheeple of the People's Temple in Guyana escaped from madman James Warren (Jim) Jones by running into the jungle. Didn't save 900 of them, but some did try to escape nevertheless. NOW there was organized religion for you. One leader, complete power, or so he thought, and I still remember.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

normaM wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:
normaM wrote: but he works for the Govt he says he loathes... nope, can't admire him

Actually norma, I work for and serve the people of BC. I am working for and accountable to you, your children and your neighbors (that's why I work unpaid overtime). I loathe this government because they took an oath (as I did) to do the same thing and have been defrauding the taxpayer ever since. Much like tele-evangalists (to keep this relevant to the religion thread), they have suckered the gullible and will keep passing the collection plate as long as the fools continue to buy the tripe. The congregation:

:skippingsheep: :skippingsheep: :skippingsheep: :skippingsheep: :skippingsheep: :skippingsheep: :skippingsheep: :skippingsheep: :skippingsheep: :skippingsheep: :skippingsheep: :skippingsheep: :skippingsheep: :skippingsheep: :skippingsheep:

well, then each time you refer to the taxpayers as sheep you insult your employer

A good boss knows when to listen to the front line staff.
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

A man without religion is just like a fish without a bicycle.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

AlanH wrote:A man without religion is just like a fish without a bicycle.

That's why I stick to golf (please God - let me make it over this water).
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

If you were a fully realized son of god, you could just gum boot it over the water.
We're lost but we're making good time.
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

mtnman1 wrote:
Squire Nibs wrote:Hugging a teddy is a very beneficial thing to do,....................... its a pretty positive suggestion.

But for adult men, it's just kinky.

It would depend who's wearing the teddy;)
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Squire Nibs wrote:The best way to decrease the religiosity of a culture is to educate it. Europeans, who tend to be better educated than North Americans, place much less reliance on deities to solve their issues.

It depends which religion you are referring to. While atheists have higher education than Christians or Muslims, people who adhere to the Jewish, Hindu, and Buddhist religions have more education than atheists.

http://religions.pewforum.org/pdf/table ... dition.pdf
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Interesting chart Glacier. Percentages of each group related to education level aside for a moment, it is interesting to look at the N column as to relative (to the whole) numbers in each grouping. It appears while the atheist population may consist of proportionally more "brainiacs" (real or imagined), ...you have to wonder about the real life and intellectual/common sense capabilities of those among them who think they have a snowballs chance in hell of ever converting the world (or even a majority of it) to their views.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

It's the Christians & muslims who seem to be doing all the attempts at conversion. The athiests that I know don't give a damn what you believe as long as you don't be preachin on their doorsteps.

Also what I learned about Buddhism is that it is a group of philosophies, (Zen, Mahayana, etc) not a religion. Tho' some have tried to make it a religion complete with prayer wheels etc.

See if you turn something into a religion, you can make yourself the boss of that religion and get paid & have a nice house to live in.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Squire Nibs wrote:It's the Christians & muslims who seem to be doing all the attempts at conversion. The athiests that I know don't give a damn what you believe as long as you don't be preachin on their doorsteps.

Most atheists and theists alike want people to come around to their way of thinking (it is only human nature). Just like everyone else, atheists try to get people to believe what they believe (I am thinking of the "There is not god" campaigns). I cannot see why there would be anything wrong with trying to convert others through non-violent means to your way of thinking.

Nabcom wrote:Interesting chart Glacier. Percentages of each group related to education level aside for a moment, it is interesting to look at the N column as to relative (to the whole) numbers in each grouping. It appears while the atheist population may consist of proportionally more "brainiacs" (real or imagined),

If you think about who Jesus' friends were and who hated him, it makes sense. It was the poor sinners who accepted his teachings and the educated, wealthy leaders who despised him. Perhaps in today's world, the educated are looking for a more complex explanation?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Glacier wrote:I am thinking of the "There is not god" campaigns

I guess some folks aren't happy with the religionists shoving stuff at them and are shoving back, don't care what folks believe as long as they don't push it at me.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

When I look around me I see many people pedalling their beliefs. Looking at my facebook I see as much peddling by atheists as theists. Same goes for politics. Got liberal friends and conservative friends posting articles promoting their respective persuasions. When done in a respectful manor, I don't have a problem with that, but I know what you mean about pushing beliefs on others. I don't like the salesman "invade my space and refuse to take 'no' for an answer" approach either.
- Douglas Murray
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Glacier wrote:....but I know what you mean about pushing beliefs on others. I don't like the salesman "invade my space and refuse to take 'no' for an answer" approach either.

Does that really happen much any more? I know it doesn't with me or my neighbours except for the occasional visit from the JW's - but they always take "no" for an answer at my door and are not pushy.

Perhaps those who continually rail about such things are a little confused as to what can be defined as "my space"?

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Come to think about it, Nab, I cannot think of a single time I have ever had someone shoving religious stuff in my face. Every time I have told them I am not interested they have been polite. Perhaps nibs has had different experiences since there once can usually find a few bad apples in any group if they look hard enough for them. My guess would be that 99% of the people out there respect those with opposing views.
- Douglas Murray
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

You sayin ise a bad apple? Huh?

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”