Religion

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Re: Religion

Post by NAB »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
Nabcom wrote: I choose to not worry about it either way, since I know what the worst (or best depending on your perspective) outcome can be. But I do like to live in a way that my bets are hedged, just in case.

So you choose to remain neutral, but err on the side of belief because there might be a place of bliss or torment when you die. Belief is an insurance policy, if nothing happens when you die, you have lost nothing, but it's the other instance, you have everything to win or lose. It's called Pascal's Wager, it's been done to death. You best get converting to some other religions too...just to 'hedge your bets'.

Na, I don't "err on the side of belief" regardless of the promise or threat (how could that be erring anyway except perhaps in the eyes of an atheist?), ....I simply choose not to err on the side of blatant and unsupportable disbelief.

Edit to add: What can an atheist offer me anyway that I don't already have except discouragement and depression? While a positive belief, no matter how mild and far fetched it may seem, at least provides a bit of hope. Sucks to be those who live without hope for something better.
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Nabcom wrote:...They live, and they die, without hope for anything afterward but the reputation (if any) they leave behind, which in most cases is nil, just a small quantity of ashes sprinkled over some field or water - soon to be forgotten.

I wonder how many people remember any details about their great-grand parents...or the generation before. When i've asked around not too many people even know the names much less anything from the lives.

once we're gone we can usually hope to be remembered for two generations. Unless of course we do something exceptionally memorable.

:smt087 just like a fart in the wind.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

To me it's about living life to the fullest, raising a good family and having a good time. The sheer wonder of the universe and the knowledge to be learned in it is enough to make life complete. I would almost consider the 'need' to leave a lasting legacy or the 'need' to believe in a religion for the sole/main reason of a promised afterlife, as a crutch, as a sign of someone who has not grasped the magnificence of life.

"I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a will of the type of which we are conscious in ourselves. An individual who should survive his physical death is also beyond my comprehension, nor do I wish it otherwise; such notions are for the fears or absurd egoism of feeble souls."
- Albert Einstein
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Hellomynameis wrote:To me it's about living life to the fullest, raising a good family and having a good time. The sheer wonder of the universe and the knowledge to be learned in it is enough to make life complete. I would almost consider the 'need' to leave a lasting legacy or the 'need' to believe in a religion for the sole/main reason of a promised afterlife, as a crutch, as a sign of someone who has not grasped the magnificence of life.

"I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a will of the type of which we are conscious in ourselves. An individual who should survive his physical death is also beyond my comprehension, nor do I wish it otherwise; such notions are for the fears or absurd egoism of feeble souls."
- Albert Einstein

Ahhh, yes. Living one's life to the fullest and having a good time seems omnipotent these days doesn't it. That's part of the "it's all about me" generation philosophy I suspect.

But even then, it seems even Einstein accepted that certain things were "beyond his comprehension" and didn't wish to delve too deeply into it and wish it otherwise. It seems to me that is what he refers to as notions that are "for the fears or absurd egoism of feeble souls", which to me would include the attributes of those who proclaim to be atheists.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Nabcom wrote:for the fears or absurd egoism of feeble souls

Please define soul - feeble or otherwise.
We're lost but we're making good time.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Squire Nibs wrote:
Nabcom wrote:for the fears or absurd egoism of feeble souls

Please define soul - feeble or otherwise.

In Einstein's terminology, which was the quote, I suspect "souls" simply means "people". Don't try to divert it to explore something else totally unrelated and change the subject at hand.
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

Nabcom wrote:
Ahhh, yes. Living one's life to the fullest and having a good time seems omnipotent these days doesn't it. That's part of the "me" generation philosophy I suspect.

"me generation" "these days". Sorry that's not really computing for me, probably because I haven't decoupled community-family-giving back-empathy from having a "good time".

But even then, it seems even Einstein accepted that certain things were "beyond his comprehension" and didn't wish to delve too deeply into it and wish it otherwise. It seems to me that is what he refers to as notions that are "for the fears or absurd egoism of feeble souls", which to me would include the attributes of those who proclaim to be atheists.

Full stop? Or are you just referring to those that proclaim to know the universe and its secrets without so much as a hint of rational explanation for how they could be so confident in those proclamations? Because it seems to me that it's so much white noise to paint with the wide brush.

Nab
Last edited by hellomynameis on Sep 4th, 2009, 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Hellomynameis wrote:
Nabcom wrote:
Ahhh, yes. Living one's life to the fullest and having a good time seems omnipotent these days doesn't it. That's part of the "me" generation philosophy I suspect.

"me generation" "these days". Sorry that's not really computing for me, probably because I haven't decoupled community-family-giving back-empathy from having a "good time".

Full stop? Or are just referring to those that proclaim to know the universe and its secrets without so much as a hint of rational explanation for how they could be so confident in those proclamations? Because it seems to me that it's so much white noise to paint with the wide brush.

Nab

Excellent points, for both sides of the argument. Thanks!
Nab
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Hellomynameis wrote:To me it's about living life to the fullest, raising a good family and having a good time. The sheer wonder of the universe and the knowledge to be learned in it is enough to make life complete. I would almost consider the 'need' to leave a lasting legacy or the 'need' to believe in a religion for the sole/main reason of a promised afterlife, as a crutch, as a sign of someone who has not grasped the magnificence of life.

Excellent post, sets out a simple philosophy to which any one, religious or not, could well aspire.
Last edited by I Think on Sep 5th, 2009, 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
We're lost but we're making good time.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Squire Nibs wrote:

Excellent post, sets out a simple philosophy to which any one, religious or not, could well aspire.

Nabcom wrote:Ahhh, yes. Living one's life to the fullest and having a good time seems omnipotent these days doesn't it. That's part of the "it's all about me" generation philosophy I suspect.

Ugly and childish response, posted by someone who is obviously bitter and probably not living a very fulfilling life.

Postulating again nibs? ROFL :-)
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

- Albert Einstein

This is exactly how I feel about life too.

Einstein was not referring to a Christian god when using the term. He used it to convey the unexplainable and wonder of the world.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
surfgirl

Post by surfgirl »

A good documentary is Jesus camp. Choice of religion is here and now. Now, :flappingangel: is it right to indoctern religion into young children or should they decide on their own at an appropriate age what religion they wish to follow. If any?
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

I know many individuals who were raised to see life and the world around them according to their parents beliefs...but then grew up to dismiss their parents views and give themselves to everything they perceive the world has to offer - free of God.

Then i've met those who grew-up free of "religious indoctrination" but end up wishing their parents had given them a bit more instruction about the way they should go to gain the wisdom they later found in scripture and the blessings of life submitted to God's ways.

Both sets have their challenges to overcome just like every single other person that makes it out of the womb. Each perspective seeing the other as having done a great disservice to the kids growing up.

Individuals will always end up able to decide for themselves so when everything is said and done...with the absence of any kind of real abuse:
I'll be the one to take care of my kids upbringing... and I'll extend to you the same courtesy.

thanks.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
surfgirl

Post by surfgirl »

:smt038 Thank-you for the great responce. Yes, my husband and I are raising our children with the knowledge of religion. We have explained as much as they can comprehend about God..... My oldest(at 7) once told me that Jesus loves him. My Born again aunt told him that along with much much more. I asked him if he felt he wanted to learn more. No. Then o.k. I will love them with the choices they make. I hope though, that I will be able to support whatever choices they make.
grumbo

your praying to the wrong god

Post by grumbo »

was with our kids on the beach and met some acquaintances. guy was telling me he is tired of flipping burgers at burger king and he prayed to god for guidance. God apparently told him to go back to school. For those of you that have faith, guidance and belief this way could you please ask god the next time you talk to him what the 6/49 numbers are.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”