The New Atheism

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Re: The New Atheism

Post by Nebula »

Oh my. The people in that video are proof that natural selection doesn't always get it right.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

I have always hated peanut butter.
Perhaps if it would just evolve a bit, it could grow legs and leave.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Blasphemer! Gad made peanut butter void of all evolution.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

philhellenes is taking pwnage to new magnitudes with his latest youtube release. He was inspired by this BBC science report, Astronomers count the stars.
BBC News/Science wrote:Astronomers in Australia say there are 10 times more stars in the visible Universe than all the grains of sand on the world's beaches and deserts.

Philhellenes video is here.
oldhippy
Board Meister

Post by oldhippy »

Oh how I hate to ask.

Atheism
Who came up with the name and where did it come from?

My Native Ancestors were called names when my white Ancestors came with their belief.

And I am confused. It seams that with some people if a person does not believe their way .....
Last edited by oldhippy on Jul 8th, 2009, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

ATHEIST
noun
the theory or belief that God does not exist.
DERIVATIVES
atheist |ˈeɪθi1st| noun
atheistic |ˌāθēˈistik| |ˈˈeɪθiˈɪstɪk| |-ˈɪstɪk| adjective
atheistical |-ˈistikəl| |ˈˈeɪθiˈɪst1kəl| |-ˈɪstɪk(ə)l| adjective
ORIGIN late 16th cent.: from French athéisme, from Greek atheos, from a- ‘without’ + theos ‘god.’

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

Atheism can be either the rejection of theism,[1] or the assertion that deities do not exist.[2] In the broadest sense, it is the absence of belief in the existence of deities.[3]
The term atheism originated from the Greek ἄθεος (atheos), which was derogatively applied to anyone thought to believe in false gods, no gods, or doctrines that stood in conflict with established religions. With the spread of freethought, skeptical inquiry, and subsequent increase in criticism of religion, application of the term narrowed in scope. The first individuals to self-identify as "atheist" appeared in the 18th century. Today, about 2.3% of the world's population describes itself as atheist, while a further 11.9% is described as nontheist.[4] Up to 65% of Japanese describe themselves as atheists, agnostics, or non-believers; and up to 48% in Russia.[5] The percentage of such persons in European Union member states ranges between 6% (Italy) and 85% (Sweden).[5]
Atheism tends towards skepticism regarding supernatural claims, citing a lack of empirical evidence. Common rationales include the problem of evil, the argument from inconsistent revelations, and the argument from nonbelief. Other arguments for atheism range from the philosophical to the social to the historical.
In Western culture, atheists are frequently assumed to be irreligious or unspiritual.[6] However, religious and spiritual belief systems such as forms of Buddhism that do not advocate belief in gods, have been described as atheistic.[7] Although some atheists tend toward secular philosophies such as humanism,[8] rationalism, and naturalism,[9] there is no one ideology or set of behaviors to which all atheists adhere.[10]

Hope that clears that up for you.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." --Richard Dawkins
oldhippy
Board Meister

Post by oldhippy »

soulra wrote:ATHEIST
noun
the theory or belief that God does not exist.
DERIVATIVES
atheist |ˈeɪθi1st| noun
atheistic |ˌāθēˈistik| |ˈˈeɪθiˈɪstɪk| |-ˈɪstɪk| adjective
atheistical |-ˈistikəl| |ˈˈeɪθiˈɪst1kəl| |-ˈɪstɪk(ə)l| adjective
ORIGIN late 16th cent.: from French athéisme, from Greek atheos, from a- ‘without’ + theos ‘god.’

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

Atheism can be either the rejection of theism,[1] or the assertion that deities do not exist.[2] In the broadest sense, it is the absence of belief in the existence of deities.[3]
The term atheism originated from the Greek ἄθεος (atheos), which was derogatively applied to anyone thought to believe in false gods, no gods, or doctrines that stood in conflict with established religions. With the spread of freethought, skeptical inquiry, and subsequent increase in criticism of religion, application of the term narrowed in scope. The first individuals to self-identify as "atheist" appeared in the 18th century. Today, about 2.3% of the world's population describes itself as atheist, while a further 11.9% is described as nontheist.[4] Up to 65% of Japanese describe themselves as atheists, agnostics, or non-believers; and up to 48% in Russia.[5] The percentage of such persons in European Union member states ranges between 6% (Italy) and 85% (Sweden).[5]
Atheism tends towards skepticism regarding supernatural claims, citing a lack of empirical evidence. Common rationales include the problem of evil, the argument from inconsistent revelations, and the argument from nonbelief. Other arguments for atheism range from the philosophical to the social to the historical.
In Western culture, atheists are frequently assumed to be irreligious or unspiritual.[6] However, religious and spiritual belief systems such as forms of Buddhism that do not advocate belief in gods, have been described as atheistic.[7] Although some atheists tend toward secular philosophies such as humanism,[8] rationalism, and naturalism,[9] there is no one ideology or set of behaviors to which all atheists adhere.[10]

Hope that clears that up for you.

Thanks for the info. May only the Good Spirits be your Guide.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Thanks, I hate cheap booze. Only the good spirits for me.
oldhippy
Board Meister

Post by oldhippy »

Here my Friend I tell you this tale, to help you find you’re Spirit Trail.
CHOICES
Like calm Water some people flow, others like eddies around they go.
Then like the rush of canyon Water, they push their way to find calm Water.
To a calm lake they make their way, a peaceful place for them to stay.
Then another river they do find, again they leave calm Water behind.
Again through rough Water they make their way, looking for calm waters to stay.
Like the Waters they make the motions, till they travel to the mighty oceans.
Like the ocean they try to hide, the current feelings they have inside.
Like ocean tides their up and down, for their Spiritual Self they have not found.
If it's God you do believe, don't push others and don't deceive.
If it's the Great Spirit you understand, don't condemn others who walk on land.
Some People may believe in a creator, whom they we'll meet sooner or later.
To every culture called a different name, to each and all is one the same.
A different trail I may walk, a different way I may talk.
They may not walk along with you, because you Believe your way is true.
They may not walk along with me, because their choice must be free.
It may be now or it may be later, people will find their Spirit trail to the Creator.
Your trail may be just right for you; if it is a Good trail it is true.
The trail I walk is Good for me, it is calm and also free.
Walk a Good trail and stand strong, don't tell others their Good trail is wrong.
For to the Creator we’re all the same, just a different trail and a different name.
Only a good trail will guide you there, so please my Friend, walk it with care.
Big Thanks to all My Relations
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

So..what does this have to do with the new atheism? How about you start a thread with your neo-hippy earth spirit stuff? Then you can type your fluff until your heart is content.
oldhippy
Board Meister

Post by oldhippy »

Postby Mr Danksworth on Today, 8:10 am
So..what does this have to do with the new atheism? How about you start a thread with your neo-hippy earth spirit stuff? Then you can type your fluff until your heart is content.

It does not take much does it? The New Atheism. The New Age Belief. Nothing is New: both have been around scene time began. As far as my so called "neo-hippy earth spirit stuff?" If you did take time to read and understand my simple poem: my point is, belief or no belief, if you are walking a good trail with out hurting others or calling other people down, then you are walking the right trail in life in The New Atheism or not.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

oldhippy wrote:Re: The New Atheism

It does not take much does it? The New Atheism. The New Age Belief. Nothing is New: both have been around scene time began. As far as my so called "neo-hippy earth spirit stuff?" If you did take time to read and understand my simple poem: my point is, belief or no belief, if you are walking a good trail with out hurting others or calling other people down, then you are walking the right trail in life in The New Atheism or not.

I disgree. I see a bunch of 'god' 'creator' 'great spirit' stuff. And one of the end lines states that no matter what you believe it's all the same. 'For to the Creator we’re all the same, just a different trail and a different name.' Not a drop of atheism in there...it implies that there is a creator 'watching'.
oldhippy
Board Meister

Post by oldhippy »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
oldhippy wrote:Re: The New Atheism

I disgree. I see a bunch of 'god' 'creator' 'great spirit' stuff. And one of the end lines states that no matter what you believe it's all the same. 'For to the Creator we’re all the same, just a different trail and a different name.' Not a drop of atheism in there...it implies that there is a creator 'watching'.

Well if your Mother and Father did not create you and were not looking after you: Was there others? Or did you do it by yourself? Mother Father Good or Evil Spirits.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

oldhippy wrote: Well if your Mother and Father did not create you and were not looking after you: Was there others? Or did you do it by yourself?

I think he did it by himself. I mean, just evauate the result. It seems pretty clear there was not much help available at the time ( the Creator / God must have been distracted at the time, or perhaps there is still some lesson for soulra / danky to experience :129: ).

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”