Death

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
normaM
The Pilgrim

Death

Post by normaM »

so, do people have a "time" or is it random, God's will, what?
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Death

Post by Bsuds »

It's a random time, God willing!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Bsuds wrote:It's a random time, God willing!

and this is why I like you so :)
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

normaM wrote:
Bsuds wrote:It's a random time, God willing!

and this is why I like you so :)

Thanks. I have had my brush with death and am still here. I look at things a little differently than I used to but also don't think it was my time to go.

There has to be some reason why an accident can happen and only one or two people survive, or a bunch of people get sick with a disease and only a select few survive, or a plane crashes and only one survives. Not their time to go.
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

I just hope that I go peacefully in my sleep, just like my Grandfather did....

Not like the 4 other people screaming in terror as his car plummeted of the edge of a cliff.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

AlanH wrote:I just hope that I go peacefully in my sleep, just like my Grandfather did....

Not like the 4 other people screaming in terror as his car plummeted of the edge of a cliff.

Me too.

I love the visual I get from that joke too.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

That is one of my favourite jokes as well. I'd like to post one of my own favourite death jokes but this is a great thread so I'll keep it on track.

My brain tells me death is random, my gut instinct tells me it's not, which is also my stand (for what it's worth) on the concept of a hereafter. Every square inch of my brain denies the supernatural, ie the hereafter, but my gut continues along secretly believing there might be something after death.

Death must be random, though, since there is no logical reason for it to be anything but.

Hmm, okay, my death quote is the Woody Allan one, "I am not afraid of death, I just don't want to be around when it happens." or something like that (I'm quoting from memory and that's always a bit of an iffy thing).
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

I agree wit you, Jo.
Of all the death I have seen in my life, a lot of times I say 'why'.
Things happen for a reason, as well as a death.
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

Puffy wrote:I agree wit you, Jo.
Of all the death I have seen in my life, a lot of times I say 'why'.
Things happen for a reason, as well as a death.

I like to reflect on ones life, sit back and remember their accomplishments, hardships, and recognize how they persevered to become productive members of society. But ultimately when death finally comes to those you love, know or cross paths with, usually the entire experience can be summed up in just two words... S**t Happens.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Ok, but I got to ask, when God decides a whole load of people have their time up, how does He arrange to have them all on the same airplane?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

I used to believe in God, but no longer do.
I feel we are here to do our 'job' that we were put here for and when we are done, we are done.
I would like to think of it as asleep.

The number of times I sat on the bed with someone taking that last breath...adult, child, teen who ever...I often would try and reflect what they went through in life....did they kiss their mom?Did they get to do what they wanted in life? Did they get the first kiss?
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

Queen K wrote:Ok, but I got to ask, when God decides a whole load of people have their time up, how does He arrange to have them all on the same airplane?

I have never seen evidence of a God arranging flight seating's on airplanes. Until I do see such evidence, I'll have to default back to s**t happens.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

AlanH wrote:
Queen K wrote:Ok, but I got to ask, when God decides a whole load of people have their time up, how does He arrange to have them all on the same airplane?

I have never seen evidence of a God arranging flight seating's on airplanes. Until I do see such evidence, I'll have to default back to s**t happens.

It appears to be a very time consuming task to arrange, that's why it doesn't happen very often.

I prefer "Excrement Occurs"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

AlanH wrote:

And that is just it, if one argues that someone dies because it "their time" then how does one view an entire plane of people dying in an ocean, or busload of people off a cliff, or in an explosion, or any number of dozens of ways that a number of people die at the same time?

How did God get all those people deemed to be ready to go in the same vicinity, on the same bus/train/airplane/truck/helicopter/ etc? Random or Devine Plan?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

I am such a procrastinator that if I do, in fact, have a life purpose I'm never going to quite get around to doing it, ergo I should get to live for a very VERY long time, lol.

I think my gut feeling that death is not random is just wistful thinking, I don't want to think it is random (but really, in the end I almost always go with what my brain tells me, not my gut. My gut resents this, but that's what Rolaids are for.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”